Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1060061 - 07/21/22 10:16 AM Alaska Results Kenai
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
And I thought the grayling fishery was amazing. First night on the river and learning (slow) I caught a sculpin. Our host limited (3) but it was still slow. Next night we went and my wife and host limited while I finally got one. Last night was limits all around and encounters with fish about every couple of minutes. Not many people on the river but almost everybody walked away with three.

Fish were really close to shore. Like 10-15'. Fought really hard. Friendly folks netted two of mine while I had to do the honors on 1.

Theses are big fish as we got more than 22 pounds of fillets off of the seven fish night and the nine (we drop off today) probably will go closer to 30. Shipping box will be full.

#1060118 - 07/26/22 09:03 AM Re: Alaska Results Kenai [Re: Carcassman]
River Nutrients

Back home now with a box of fillets in the freezer. Had one more night of 3 limits. Last day after the limit jumped to 6, I got 1 and our host 6. As noted earlier I was unsure wading so I was too close to shore to get a really good drift without snagging waders. Lots of folks and lots of sockeye walked out of that one site.

#1060125 - 07/27/22 06:56 AM Re: Alaska Results Kenai [Re: Carcassman]
seabeckraised Online   content
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Mason County
Sounds like an awesome trip. I’ll be shipping home some Coho this September in those freezer boxes. Any tips? I’ve heard not to even bother with ice packs as they thaw at around the same rate as frozen fish so it’s worth just filling it with nothing but fish. If anything, just use those vacuum packs that were on top first once I get home.

#1060126 - 07/27/22 07:58 AM Re: Alaska Results Kenai [Re: Carcassman]
River Nutrients

We took our fish to a custom packer. Not sure of the airlines accept stuff packed in ice. They put ours in a styrofoam box inside a cardboard box. All the fish were individually vacuum packed as about 1 lb fillets. They put a gel-pack in to keep it cool. We picked it up at 7 AM (they stored it in a freezer till then) and unpacked it about 10 PM here and they were still frozen. Since were were Alaska MVP it was free baggage (49.9 pounds; they know what they are doing).

Last year our host had mailed us a box that arrive just fine and we ate well for a year.

Good luck. Where are you going? Check the regs as ADFG is cutting back on at least AK stocks of coho.

#1060127 - 07/27/22 12:13 PM Re: Alaska Results Kenai [Re: Carcassman]
Juvenile at Sea

Thanks for the info. We’ll be on Prince of Wales Island for 6 days. Not in it ONLY for the meat, but will definitely be shipping home at least one freezer box. Self guided lodge with a truck to get around and explore. Just how we like it. Gonna focus on the less frequented creeks throughout the island.

Thanks for the heads up on the regs. Last I read it was 4 fish but I’ll see it it changed.

#1060128 - 07/27/22 01:27 PM Re: Alaska Results Kenai [Re: Carcassman]
River Nutrients

I wasn't that far south but coho were rather constrained in the Soldatna/Kenai area. But they do move the regs around a lot. Have fun; avoid da Bears.

#1060131 - 07/27/22 06:24 PM Re: Alaska Results Kenai [Re: Carcassman]
Juvenile at Sea

Just checked, it’s up to 6 coho per day in freshwater where I’ll be. More than I’ll need for sure.

#1060132 - 07/27/22 07:52 PM Re: Alaska Results Kenai [Re: Carcassman]
River Nutrients

They kicked the Kenai sockeye from 3 to 6 while we were there. That would almost fill the box with two limits. Enjoy. Should be tasty.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (seabeckraised, stonefish), 1024 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |