Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1060129 - 07/27/22 04:33 PM Area 10 Kings
FishnDon Offline
Fry

Loc: Puget Sound
Heading out to Area 10 next week and targeting Kings. Do we still talk about fishing on this site instead of politics? It's been awhile since I have been here or had the time to go fishing.

Anyone have any success lately around Jeff Head or the Oil dock...or anywhere in the area?

I plan on using the usual green glow flasher and Herring kingfisher spoon / herring scent and between 80 and 120 ft on the riggers....but open to better options. I just bought some flashers that activate a flash in the water. Might be interesting.....

Thanks for any input that you have had success with in the last week or so.

#1060139 - 07/30/22 01:04 PM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: FishnDon]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I am South of your area. I've been finding fish at 135-140ft over 165-185 ft of water. I have had the most success using a chrome-uv-prism tape, 11inch fin, pro troll flasher. 33in 40lb UG leader to a 3.5 silver night 812, white uv. I use the pro cure garlic bloody tuna as scent.

Good fishing!

#1060140 - 07/30/22 03:22 PM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: FishnDon]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Midchannel in 9 has been on fire. Weather change mid week should get them heading south.

#1060142 - 07/30/22 07:42 PM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: slabhunter]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: slabhunter
I am South of your area. I've been finding fish at 135-140ft over 165-185 ft of water. I have had the most success using a chrome-uv-prism tape, 11inch fin, pro troll flasher. 33in 40lb UG leader to a 3.5 silver night 812, white uv. I use the pro cure garlic bloody tuna as scent.

Good fishing!

Appreciate the info... Nisqually Delta fish have been a tough nut to crack. Done well at fish trap in previous years though.

#1060145 - 07/31/22 01:22 PM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: thaxor]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach

There my go to is the jigging the lures at tide changes. I am reverse kicker mode on the flood.

#1060146 - 08/01/22 12:36 PM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: FishnDon]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: FishnDon
Heading out to Area 10 next week and targeting Kings. Do we still talk about fishing on this site instead of politics? It's been awhile since I have been here or had the time to go fishing.

Anyone have any success lately around Jeff Head or the Oil dock...or anywhere in the area?

I plan on using the usual green glow flasher and Herring kingfisher spoon / herring scent and between 80 and 120 ft on the riggers....but open to better options. I just bought some flashers that activate a flash in the water. Might be interesting.....

Thanks for any input that you have had success with in the last week or so.

Fish were keyed in to plugs on Jeff Head last week. Getting a few on the green ace hi's as well. 130'

Don't know how much of a spoon year it's been as I hate using spoons as I'm not in to catching shakers. Start with a plug. If that's not working go to the traditional green squid or Ace Hi. I'd leave the spoons out of water.

The oil dock has started to heat up as well. Think the Lake WA fish are starting to to finally come down this way. Been low counts at the Locks.

And yes, the Tule King did catch a an honest to god tule.

#1060147 - 08/02/22 08:45 AM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: FishnDon]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Limited 3 yesterday at Midchannel dragging the bottom w/ coho killers. Long lasting bite on the outgoing clear up to noon. Lost a couple beauties. Very few shakers in the mix.

#1060149 - 08/02/22 02:07 PM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: FishnDon]
FishnDon Offline
Fry

Thank you for all of the input and suggestions.

I went out on Saturday to Jeff head and we got 5 kings but all to small two shakers and 5 dogfish...thick with dogfish. I think someone was actually shooting them because on occasion you would hear a shot from a small caliber.

We were all up and down the column trying to stay about 10ft off the bottom we were using the herring aide spoon and a coho killer. Herring scent

The fish checker thought we were still early in the season when I asked how many kings were recorded at the Armani ramp. Nothing of real size he said yet. I'm going out again this Thursday and will try the Herring Ace Hi and and plug. I might head up to the oil dock to try there first and head to Jeff Head after if it isn't producing.

#1060150 - 08/02/22 06:01 PM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: FishnDon]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Rough conditions this morning prevented our run North to Midchannel... slow going. Attempted a troll on the AM incoming tide at Pt. no Pt. to no avail. It was blowing from the So. 15-20 which made it really tough for an effective troll. Obligations prevented waiting for it to lay down. Gave up and went to breakfast. Always tomorrow. Checker yesterday mentioned MA9 quota around 60% calculated days previous. Getem while you can. Tacoma tomorrow should be a blood bath.

Edited by RUNnGUN (08/02/22 06:05 PM)

#1060152 - 08/03/22 07:18 AM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: FishnDon]
FishnDon Offline
Fry

Yikes.. I'm heading out tomorrow morning early from Don Armani ramp to either the oil docks or Jeff Head...if the wind is bad though most likely hug the shore and go to the Oil docks. I won't fish in bad weather and especially fog... been caught out there before in fog and it was a scary experience not being able to see. Never again. Will update when I get back tomorrow.

#1060154 - 08/03/22 02:37 PM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: FishnDon]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Jeff Head has been producing well for those in the know.

MCB has been pretty much nonstop HOT since the opener. Pretty impressive how good it has been for the length of the season, usually it kind of drops off a bit by now.
I want to be a fisherman.

#1060155 - 08/03/22 05:02 PM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: FishnDon]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Lots of people fishing out of Pt. Defiance this morning; parking lot was full and folks parking on the streets. Fish were being caught but not red hot. The Roofers Assoc had their private derby today. Two PSA derbies coming up on the two following Saturdays. Our Gig Harbor chapter's derby is 13 August. Tickets can be purchased at Sportco, Narrows Marina, Ace Hdwr Gig Harbor or online on our webpage GIGHARBORPSA.ORG. Lots of good prizes to be given out both for weight and a raffle based upon your ticket number.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1060157 - 08/03/22 05:10 PM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: FishnDon]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
Point defiance was a zoo today. As Larry stated, there was the Roofer’s Association derby. We fished from about 5-8am before work and got one about #10 with a fin. Fishing was slow/fair during this time frame. I only saw a couple caught where we were. Hopefully there were some caught on the morning tide change that we missed.

Streamer

#1060158 - 08/03/22 05:16 PM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: FishnDon]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

I did chat with the RCAW Board Director this morning and he said they had sold around 80 tickets so if one figures all fished and a minimum of 2/boat their derby participants were not the only folks fishing. Metro Parks needs to figure out how to get the necessary permit from the City of Tacoma to be able to utilize the overflow lot (approx 200 car capacity) adjacent to the new paved lot above the ramps.

Edited by Larry B (08/03/22 05:18 PM)

#1060159 - 08/03/22 05:43 PM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: Larry B]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Larry B
I did chat with the RCAW Board Director this morning and he said they had sold around 80 tickets so if one figures all fished and a minimum of 2/boat their derby participants were not the only folks fishing. Metro Parks needs to figure out how to get the necessary permit from the City of Tacoma to be able to utilize the overflow lot (approx 200 car capacity) adjacent to the new paved lot above the ramps.

I remember at one time discussion of building another launch at the end of the Pt. Ruston property where the historic ferry is moored was active. Would take lots of pressure off the PD launch.

#1060160 - 08/03/22 05:55 PM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: RUNnGUN]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

More recently, as in the last two years, there was an effort by the Pierce County Outdoor Sports and Recreation Council to have a launch put in under the 11th St. bridge where the fire boats are currently moored. That effort went moribund when Pam Roach retired.

#1060166 - 08/04/22 09:52 AM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: FishnDon]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Good bite this morning. Got a really nice king and about an 8# coho and lost a couple other fish. Seems like a good push moved into Area 11.

Streamer

#1060173 - 08/05/22 08:25 AM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: FishnDon]
FishnDon Offline
Fry

I was fishing Jeff Head yesterday morning along with about 50 other boats. I used everything in my box and finally got a nice ~12lb Native turned it back and that was all we got outside of the two dog fish. I didn't see many nets flying. I was going to head to the oil docks but my buddy had to get back. If anyone has the secret combo this year please share. I was using a 4 inch Herring Aide spoon dbl glow and Herring scent with a green glow flasher to get the wild one.

#1060182 - 08/05/22 02:18 PM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: FishnDon]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Picked up a couple of kings this morning down in 11. Nothing big. Each was probably #10. Also got a nice #7 coho. They are starting to show early and in some good numbers.

Streamer

#1060201 - 08/07/22 12:23 PM Re: Area 10 Kings [Re: FishnDon]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: FishnDon
If anyone has the secret combo this year please share.

Thought I already did, but here you. go.

All things being equal, the go-to MA10 rig is the Jelly Crush or Cracked Ice HotSpot flasher. Green UV Ace Hi on a 30" leader. 60# leaders with with a pair of good 5/0 sickle type hooks. That will get you coho and kings.

If the fish are keyed on spoons, generally it's a 4 or 3.5 Silver Horde spoon. Irish Cream, herring aid, etc. Run that about 42 or so inches behind a green/red flasher. 40# leader. Keep the CohoKillers in the. box for the MidChannel or Possession fishery up in MA9.

Lastly, don't be afraid to run the 603 Tomic Plug tied directly to your mainline. I run 20lb. Stren ExtraStrong....ExtraBeefy line. Works great. If you purchase 10 603's, you'd be lucky if half were true "swimmers". Once you find one that consistently catches fish, watch in "swim" in the water. Takes good notes. Swim your other plugs and if they are not exactly mimicking your known swimmer, smash them with a hammer in front of the rest of your Tomics and tell them to either "Swim like this, or die by the hammer". Some will listen to you.
Run your plugs 30 or so feet off of the clip. Run 'em way back and generally fish them close to the bottom. 130' seems to be a good number out at Jeff.

I only run known "swimmers" until I lose it on a sunken crab pot or get it cut off by some dumb-ass in a Arima that is trolling directly behind us. Fish will always come right up to the surface with a plug. Boats trolling behind you are not your friend and are mostly clueless idiots if they are following you. Beware of these boats.

No scents or bait is needed. Learn to fish without using a crutch.

Put your hours in. Can't catch fish sitting at home or being a weekend warrior. You have a limited time in MA10 and I highly recommend you all capitalize on it.

You're welcome and completely happy to help and give up information. I'd rather have you all catch these fish than have them go to waste. Kill them all. Please.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |