Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1061926 - 05/24/23 09:35 AM Re: Hope for wild Chinook [Re: darth baiter]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: darth baiter
Chinook in the Patagonia region have a much more diverse genetic ancestry than just "Kalama and Cowlitz springer runs". This 2017 report states that "Patagonian Chinook clearly had a diverse and heterogeneous ancestry". It does state though that West Cascades springs (ie Cowlitz) contributed substantially to the populations in the southern river basins. It is a hodgepodge of genotypes showing up besides Cowlitz springs that included Willamette springs, West Cascade falls (Bonneville, Cowlitz) and of course Soos Creek (Green/Duwamish). It was mostly Washington and Oregon stocks.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-14465-y

That's a fascinating read Darth. Thanks!

#1061927 - 05/24/23 10:17 AM Re: Hope for wild Chinook [Re: Carcassman]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

i meant to say originally, it wasnt until the late 1980s that they started using other stocks, originally in the late 1800s, they used stock from California systems and it failed...

in the early 80s they used stock from the Kalama and Cowlitz and it took off, then they started using stocks from Oregon, Wa, and BC...

#1062026 - 06/12/23 03:04 PM Re: Hope for wild Chinook [Re: Carcassman]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
The Chilean "hatchery" origin salmon successfully self sorting, populating, reproducing, and living to be 5 year old GIANTS kind of pokes a few holes in WFC "science" behind inferior hatchery genetics, don't you think?

If hatchery origin genetics are so inferior, why do Chilean Chinook look like this?:

Oh yeah, these genetically inferior completely incapable inept and toxic hatchery origin strays also just produced WORLD RECORD Chinook genetics:

https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/opinion/pat-neal-the-tale-of-the-100-pound-salmon/#:~:text=A%20new%20world%2Drecord%20Chinook,was%20a%2097%2Dpound%20monster.

It's super interesting to me that the evil dreaded hatchery fish can somehow at the same time be both (1) completely incapable of survival do to lack of fitness and totally deleterious if bred with Wild and at the same time (2) so successful at utilizing habitat and finding food to eat they are outcompeting there supposedly superior wild counterparts.
I want to be a fisherman.

#1062027 - 06/12/23 05:08 PM Re: Hope for wild Chinook [Re: Carcassman]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Look what happens when you eliminate ocean fisheries and gill nets; the fish revert back to sizes that worked for them in nature.

#1062028 - 06/12/23 06:24 PM Re: Hope for wild Chinook [Re: Carcassman]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Those runs were obviously started with hatchery fish but that is now stopped. Natural selection has removed the non-adaptive genes. The problem we have up here is that we put the inferior fish on the grounds annually and in many cases they are the majority. Selection never has a chance.

#1062029 - 06/12/23 07:27 PM Re: Hope for wild Chinook [Re: Carcassman]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
My comment is obviously largely tongue in cheek.

Case in point in ~10 generations mostly unmolested these fish have proliferated and established life histories and age classes thought to be largely extinct here in the PNW.

Sure seems as though the habitat and climate arguments may not be the primary driver for size and abundance decreases here at home.

Maybe if we stopped killing all the fish and sending them to Costco in New Mexico they would have a chance to grow up and spawn in what habitat we do have available.
I want to be a fisherman.

#1062030 - 06/13/23 07:47 AM Re: Hope for wild Chinook [Re: Carcassman]
River Nutrients

The primary age classes down there, at least as reported at the meeting, were 2-3-4. I am looking for more information on if that is shifting. They are getting lots of age-2 females so it's not just jacks at that age.

Habitat not a problem here? They have rather intact habitat. They do present an interesting ecological study as they are a rather invasive species moving into areas just recently opened. They are moving into systems where nothing like them exists which is like what the salmon did here when the glaciers retreated 15,000 ybp.

But, at the end of the day, we kill too many of them, too much of their food, not enough of their enemies, and in general act like we couldn't be bothered if the wink out.

#1062036 - 06/14/23 07:39 AM Re: Hope for wild Chinook [Re: Carcassman]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

#1062039 - 06/14/23 05:23 PM Re: Hope for wild Chinook [Re: Smalma]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Smalma
Look what happens when you eliminate ocean fisheries and gill nets; the fish revert back to sizes that worked for them in nature.
BINGO!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1062040 - 06/14/23 05:48 PM Re: Hope for wild Chinook [Re: RUNnGUN]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN
Nice TULES!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1062042 - 06/15/23 10:14 AM Re: Hope for wild Chinook [Re: Carcassman]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
What I have found to be interesting in reading up on these fish is the cultural difference in attitude towards commercial fishing. The limited access to these wild streams, and the fact there isn't a major (paved) road lining every stream. It's almost like they apricate the abundance of natural recourses that surround them...

#1062043 - 06/15/23 11:57 AM Re: Hope for wild Chinook [Re: Carcassman]
River Nutrients

That or the land is remote. Lots of it is in National Parks.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1090 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |