LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1062966 - 12/04/23 08:25 AM Shoal Cut Oars?
seabeckraised Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Mason County
Will be piecing together a fishing raft setup over the next several months and wanted to get some thoughts on oars.

I’ve used both Cataract SSGs and Edge oars on drift boats (still have the Edge), with a slight preference of the Cataracts. Both had standard oar blades.

Looking at some of the Sawyer Dynalite Wooden oars with the Shoal Cut blades due to their “ease of use in shallower water.” I’ll be using this raft primarily in the summer for summer runs, but also early fall for Coho, and late spring for Springers. (Mostly low water conditions where I’d prefer not to abuse my drift boat.)

Does anyone have any experience using the shoal cut blades and would they be a solid choice for these bony river conditions?

#1062969 - 12/04/23 09:59 AM Re: Shoal Cut Oars? [Re: seabeckraised]
eswan Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I've been using the shoal cut ssg blades on my raft for 8 years or so. I like them a lot. They get a lot of abuse and still are holding up well. I do feel they have slightly more bite than traditional blade shape. I'd buy em again. I own my raft for the same reasons you listed. I wanted to fish upper wynoochee and upper Kalama without destroying a drift boat bottom. It's too bad fishing sucks anymore. The first time I fished the Kalama for summers I was blown away at seeing 50-100 chrome summers in the river a day. Now it seems your lucky if you happen upon one of those big pods.

#1062971 - 12/04/23 11:17 AM Re: Shoal Cut Oars? [Re: eswan]
seabeckraised Offline
Juvenile at Sea

If you are still actively fishing those areas, I’d bet we’ve ran into each other. Usually in a camo Hyde drift boat or a blue single person pontoon.

Appreciate the feedback, and glad to hear they’ll fit the need.

#1062972 - 12/04/23 01:46 PM Re: Shoal Cut Oars? [Re: seabeckraised]
eswan Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I do still fish those spots but definitely far less than I did prior to having our son. Your prob the guy I saw that was stashing a bike or boat at 7400 coming down from the beaver slide area? Couple years ago I feel like. I have a green aire super puma /w nrs frame. Generally fish with my wife or buddies.

#1062974 - 12/04/23 03:25 PM Re: Shoal Cut Oars? [Re: seabeckraised]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
seabeck,

I need your advice about the SSG oars. I broke my wood oars years ago and have since used ten foot very stiff oars for my Clackamax eighteen footer. Thinking about new oars that are light and flex. I'd appreciate comments from anyone with experience and opinons on lighter and flexible oars.

#1062975 - 12/04/23 04:33 PM Re: Shoal Cut Oars? [Re: seabeckraised]
seabeckraised Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I love them. They’re on a 16’ slide rite I share with a buddy. Don’t use it much anymore, but I feel much more comfortable with them than the edge oars.

I don’t have much experience beyond those two oars types, but I definitely prefer the SSGs. Don’t feel nearly as brittle when I’m really laying into them.

#1062979 - 12/04/23 07:49 PM Re: Shoal Cut Oars? [Re: seabeckraised]
eswan Offline
Juvenile at Sea

+1 for SSG's

#1062987 - 12/05/23 08:33 AM Re: Shoal Cut Oars? [Re: seabeckraised]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

I have a Scadden Skykomish sunrise pontoon boat I've used in low water. I upgraded oars when I bought it at the show years ago. I think the oars are cateract with a streamlite/shoal type blade on them. That blade style works better in less water than any other because of it's shape.

Edited by RUNnGUN (12/05/23 08:52 AM)

#1062995 - 12/05/23 09:13 PM Re: Shoal Cut Oars? [Re: seabeckraised]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
I've got sgg's and run the Cataract Cutthroat which are shoalcut. Haven't rowed anything else except some square tops that were a little undersized. But I'm very satisfied with the Cutthroats.

#1063286 - 01/09/24 10:15 PM Re: Shoal Cut Oars? [Re: seabeckraised]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

I just picked up my new Pro Lock oars today. After a lot of research, I found out that they were the lightest and had the right amount of flex. I heard about them a long time ago, but couldn't find them on the internet. Less than four pounds per oar, including the paddles. Can't believe how light they are. Made in Klickitat. Expensive, but I needed to get lighter oars in my old age.

#1063295 - 01/12/24 07:25 AM Re: Shoal Cut Oars? [Re: seabeckraised]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Just looked them up, and saw they still make the oar locks that I bought with my Willie Wide Guide back in late 80's from Rick Johnson at his Kalama shop. Well machined stainless. Also heard them called Power Pull oar locks from Bo's which were cast bronze/brass or Swivellock stainless from ? and looks like Edge carries StrongArm locks. The design is very efficient with zero slop. IMO the only way to go vs the old conventional oar lock.

#1063296 - 01/12/24 08:10 AM Re: Shoal Cut Oars? [Re: RUNnGUN]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

RunnGun,

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty much old school, so the new oarlock seems a little space age to me, but looking to install/try out when the weather warms up. Rick Johnson was one of my best friends when I lived in Kalama, Great guy, terrific guide.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1400 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |