LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108129 - 02/14/01 04:16 PM young steelheaders ????
fishaday Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Poulsbo,WA.
Any of you guys have young ones that like to fish? My son caught his 1st steelhaed last year, and continued his streak this year. He's hooked two and landed one of them. He loves it and loves the boat rides too. Did I mention he just turned 5 in January, not bad for a little guy. He looks at Bobs site nightly at the daily pics, and tells me how he CAN do that. Just curious if there are any other future steelheaders out there.

#108130 - 02/14/01 04:58 PM Re: young steelheaders ????
Fish Chaser Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Edgewood,WA
I have a 19month old Daughter who loves to play with my fishing gear.(Hook Excluded)I can't wait until she is old enough to go with me. Hopefully in a couple years I will be able to report her first to you all.

#108131 - 02/14/01 05:11 PM Re: young steelheaders ????
drift boat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton WA
I have a 11 year old girl that started with me about the age of 5. She too loves the sled but most of all the drift boat trips as it gives us more time to talk. She is more into salmon than steelhead but a fisherperson just the same.

------------------
rip some lips

#108132 - 02/14/01 05:14 PM Re: young steelheaders ????
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
Got a two year old first fish he saw (8lbs silver) I pulled out of the fish box in my boat while I was cleaning it. All he could say was put it back no daddy!!! Ever since then he gets pumped seeing fish and goes yelling around the house saying fishie fishie fishie. We hooked one together on the Green this year him and I holding the rod trying to get it in was a great feeling. Can't wait until he can really fish with me on the boat.

Tight lines

Kevin

#108133 - 02/14/01 08:50 PM Re: young steelheaders ????
large marge Offline
Alevin

Loc: carnation, wa
Gentelmen I commend you on taking your kids fishing. My father took me when I was three, I landed two on my first trip. From that point on I have been hooked. I am now 21 yrs old and have never been in an ounce of trouble. I have fished with my father 90% of the time, and he and I have a great relationship. I love to see little kids catch fish. Because of my growiong up on the river today I am a guide in alaska in the summers. I hope to make a life out of fishing. Keep up the good work.

#108134 - 02/14/01 09:45 PM Re: young steelheaders ????
RockLizard Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lakewood, WA
My son started this year, he's 9. He has yet to land one, but begs me constantly to take him. The closest he was when he snagged a dead silver out of the Puyallup last Oct. HE WANTED TO BRING IT HOME TO MOM. No lie. I pray for the day when he lands his first one, he will freak. Its a lot of work taking him but I would trade a hundred fishless days just so he could land one.
Take Care
Chris

They can have my eggs when they pry em from cold dead hands

#108135 - 02/14/01 10:10 PM Re: young steelheaders ????
Raptorwill Offline
Fry

Loc: poulsbo, wash ...
Last yr when blackmouth opened up my son and i headed out before first light-----got foggy lol-------so foggy that you couldnt see the end of the rod off of the boat-------we trolled till 11am and finally the sun burnt some off---2 hrs latter i got a bite and then a take down then five min into the fight i come to a stand still 1 min latter a seal pops up about 60 ft behind the boat and tosses my fish and proceds to eat it as my son and me stand there in total amazement---well after the bugger ate it my hook decided to stay with the seal ---so the next 20 min i was slamen the boat aroujnd in circles stayen ontop of my gear and line----after a bit the seal ran hard port and came up about 30 ft from the boat a hacken and coughen for air finally my trailer hook broke --------was an interestin day------the next day we went to same spot---seal was there and didnt even want to follow us---3 hrs into trollen my sons real began to smoke----after a lenghty fight he got a 31 inch blacky at 13 #s--------and i got a shaker of about 1 # he still talks about who got the biggest fish but includes who got the seal lol

#108136 - 02/15/01 12:49 PM Re: young steelheaders ????
kalamabama Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: LaCenter Wa USA
I have a 11yr old Started fishing for trout real young. Just started fishing salmon and steelies 3 years ago. Now he is tying his own rigs and also rowing my drift boat in the slower water. Some of the best times we have together are on the river. He often out fishs me. When I can not go he often takes his gear and goes to the river on his own. I really love to see this. This will be the first year that I have to pay for his licence. It will be worth every penny.

------------------
dank
Keep The Rivers Clean! smile

#108137 - 02/15/01 01:29 PM Re: young steelheaders ????
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
My biggest joys in life come from fishing with my kids and family. Our son is 7 and our daughter will turn 3 next week. They both are avid fisher-people. The fishing adventures we have had with these two wonderful lilttle people are incredible. Fishing is a major part of our lives. With our business we are able to fish all over the pacific NW. The only stipulation I had when they were born is that their first names had to start with a T. Tanner and Tori Howard (professional pro staff fisher-people for TH Custom Rods

Major Brown, my kids wanted me to tell you, "Hello, Big Bob!"

TH(3) www.thcustomrods.com
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

#108138 - 02/16/01 03:28 PM Re: young steelheaders ????
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
I take my 7 year old once in a while. He hasn't caught anything yet. I'm hoping he will be a good fisherman like his grandad. He knows how to cast and drift. He saw us catch some summer runs last Father's Day weekend down in Oregon. He seemed to become more interested, when they were caught. When he gets bored, he will hunt frogs and salamanders. Also took him out on the peninsula last December and hiked up and down the Lyre canyon. My 9 year old daughter caught a trout when she was 4 and screamed with fear. She doesn't seem to be as interested as she used to be.

#108139 - 02/18/01 06:35 AM Re: young steelheaders ????
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
I have a 6 yo daughter and a 4 yo son. They are BOTH my fishing buddies. My daughter was hooked at 2 yo, likewise my son was at 2 also. I started both at the little state stocked kids only ponds. Good start and easy fishing. Now that they're a little older they go in my sled and drift with me in my cat. They've caught quite a few trout (my son caught a 5lb trout just a couple weeks ago) but not any salmon/steelhead yet. I've found when I'm fishing in the boats, I bring things to keep them busy, and fun foods to eat. That way if they start getting bored I keep them busy with something else. I found if you push, they push away, so I let them beg to fish (they always want to go). I'm glad they got the fishing bug from me. My ex was always complaining about me fishing, now it drives her nuts that my kids always want to go (luckily I have custody of my kids so I always have a fishing buddy when needbe).

------------------
you haven't lived til you've rowed a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts.

Northwest River Fisherman

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (wolverine, 20 Gage, 1 invisible), 1266 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |