LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108822 - 02/28/01 01:26 PM Bank access on coastal rivers?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
I know that the best way to fish coastal rivers is in a drift boat. Not having one, I would like to know if there is any decent bank access on coastal rivers such as the Hoh, Sol Duc, etc. Any info would be appreciated.

#108823 - 02/28/01 01:33 PM Re: Bank access on coastal rivers?
flyfisher1066 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
It's really not too good on the Sol Duc. There are hidden places you can get to but it takes quite a while to figure it out. The Hoh is a little better but even then you have to do a lot of brush pounding, often blindly, if it's your first time. I like to bank fish, like you, and it took me a long time to figure out some good places on the coastal rivers. They're all a little bit of a guessing game when you don't have a boat. But have some fun and do some brush pounding because you might find your own secret spot. Either that or pry info out of other anglers. Good luck.

#108824 - 02/28/01 05:56 PM Re: Bank access on coastal rivers?
Kyle_A Offline
Spawner

Go there, explore, and yee shall be rewarded. Won't that honey hole be better when you find it yourself? Will you share it with others when you have found it?

#108825 - 02/28/01 07:45 PM Re: Bank access on coastal rivers?
Stadle Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle Area
Hey Jacob, that is not the best way to fish all coastal rivers, just some of them. In fact, there are a few that I know of that have good native runs (hooked a couple last weekend) and no fishing from boats above tidewater. pretty cool!!

My advice is to find a river that is not real popular with the boats if you want to bank fish.

good luck

Stadle

#108826 - 02/28/01 08:25 PM Re: Bank access on coastal rivers?
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
Quote:
Originally posted by Stadle:
Hey Jacob, that is not the best way to fish all coastal rivers, just some of them. In fact, there are a few that I know of that have good native runs (hooked a couple last weekend) and no fishing from boats above tidewater. pretty cool!!

My advice is to find a river that is not real popular with the boats if you want to bank fish.

good luck

Stadle

I know you don't want to give away your favorite fishing spots, but the only river I've ever fished over there was the Hoh with a guide. If you could give me any hints at all, I would greatly appreciate it. Feel free to email me if you'd like.

a-jacobf@microsoft.com

#108827 - 03/01/01 09:27 PM Re: Bank access on coastal rivers?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Lots of access points at the ramps on the Hoh ... same can be said for ramps on the other rivers as well especially in light of the current very low water which makes wading easy. I can think of tons of spots that we always rip fish out of right near an easy access point ... yet I watch tons of bankies go right past them or not fish them correctly ... that's your ticket!

Explore, that's half the fun. When I first tromped around these parts back in the mid-80's I had a ball searching for 'e, and they're actually some of my fondest memories of the area. Knowing what I do now, I'm glad I didn't have someone to show me all the "secret spots" ... As for "secret spots", sorry, too many guys have worked their tails off breaking trails and the like to divulge 'em Good luck

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#108828 - 03/02/01 05:48 PM Re: Bank access on coastal rivers?
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Word to that Bob!!!

#108829 - 03/02/01 07:47 PM Re: Bank access on coastal rivers?
shane Offline
Alevin

Loc: tacoma
I too recently made my first trip out to the coastal rivers. There are several good spots to fish from the bank on the Hoh and Sol Duc. What I did was buy a county map and looked for any roads near the rivers and just explored. Yup I did as much driving as fishing, but next time I make the trip out I will know a couple good spots. There are several good access points to the Sol Duc off the road going to La Push and a few miles south of where 101 crosses the Hoh I found a spot where the drift boats were taking out that has some sweet spots. The others are right you need to just go and explore, but buy a decent map that shows as much detail as possible. Let us know how you did. Good luck.

#108830 - 03/02/01 08:12 PM Re: Bank access on coastal rivers?
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
I'm in the same boat you're in Jacob. The only river I know is down south and everything I know about it I was taught. Real easy when somebody teaches you. I've had tougher luck on the peninsula. I know of a few places. Per Bob's advice a couple of year ago, I started down at the Bogachiel/Calawah ponds. Last month I found some awesome holes on the Sol Duc. I even found Bob's house by accident(the one with the fish mailbox) last year. I did the Hoh up by Minnie Peterson in January. If you want to talk specifics email me and I'll reply.

#108831 - 03/02/01 11:39 PM Re: Bank access on coastal rivers?
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I remember my first ever experience fishing the Sol Duc.

I bushwhacked in from the highway, which is never very far from the Sol Duc, and came upon a hole. I'd never fished the river before this evening in late March.

It was about 4pm, so I only had an hour or so before I had to head back to my truck.

Six casts later, four fish hooked, three landed on a bobber and jig.

Then it got too dark and I had to crawl through the bushes back to my truck.

Talk about a satisfying little excursion!!

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (seabeckraised, Carcassman), 429 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |