#113240 - 05/09/01 02:30 PM Re: Ilegal Guiding Threatens Access
Billy Meyers Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Terrace

#113241 - 05/09/01 03:37 PM Re: Ilegal Guiding Threatens Access
Robbo Offline
Captain Love, Trust Me

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
In order to be eligible to guide in British Columbia you need to either be a Canadian citizen, "or" have the status of a permanent resident of Canada. That is taken directly from the packet the Ministry of Environment, Lands and Parks sends out to prospective guides.

As is usually the case, there are a number of ways to dance around the regulations, and I'm sure some people do, especially those looking to get Dual Citizenship. laugh

#113242 - 05/09/01 04:06 PM Re: Ilegal Guiding Threatens Access
finclipped Offline
Fry

Loc: Vancouver
It appears to be more of a user group issue. Maybe the guides are lumped together as one user group and sportsanglers are lumped as another. It is your opinion that the guides are taking more than their fair share of fish. This is mostly due to non-local illegal guides.

In the states, guides are part of the sportsangler user group and as such have equal access to fishing opportunities. If you are trying to limit the amount of rods for guides, it truly sounds like an allocation issue (who gets to catch the fish.)

Its easy for me suggest improvements, knowing I will never be part of the solution implementation, but that won't stop me. It seems as though you are using the "Boot Camp" approach when you punish everyone when only a small fraction of the group is breaking the law. This doesn't solve the problem of illegal guiding, you will simply push them onto another river and will deny access to those who are abiding by the law.

Law enforcement has to be part of the solution and catching illegal guides needs to be made a higher priority. The "we don't have the resources" excuse is an easy way out. Come up with a another solution.
1.) One suggestion I would make would be with local help set up surveilance operations targeting those you believe to be the biggest abusers. Now that sounds like fun!
2.) An increased surcharge could be part of generating revenue to hire additional CO's. I know its common to charge non-residents surcharges for fishing in Canada, maybe this can be increased, but remember you are discouraging visitors.

Non locals are not charged extra surcharges down here and guides have full access to all sportsangling area's, so the differences in fishing "cultures" is part of the problem. Down here, eventually you will get nailed if you are fishing illegally, but I would assume many guides don't feel they are breaking a major law because of the differences in what is acceptable guiding practices in the states vs. Canada.

#113243 - 05/09/01 07:57 PM Re: Ilegal Guiding Threatens Access
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#113244 - 05/09/01 08:18 PM Re: Ilegal Guiding Threatens Access
float'n'blade Offline
Fry

Loc: Chilliwak, BC
Cowlitzmoron,

I know a guy that regularily fishes the Colwlitz, and he came up to fish in BC, and I saw him kill 13 wild Steelhead, and one of my friends also told me about a guy he knows from Oregon that came to Canada and bought smokes that didn't have a tax stamp,and he smuggled them home because they were cheaper and I think he might have been a Police Officer, and once I also saw this guy from......

Get a grip man, we have our **** together, thats why Americans dream of a trip north to BC. You never hear anyone from BC planning their dream vacation to WA state,I wonder why.

#113245 - 05/09/01 08:40 PM Re: Ilegal Guiding Threatens Access
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
float'n'blade,

Your words speak for themselves!
I need not say any more to this BB about you. You cant not face the facks, can you? If you saw him kill 13 wild steelhead, why didn't you report him? Are you a Canidain Mounty?

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#113246 - 05/09/01 08:40 PM Re: Ilegal Guiding Threatens Access
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
f'n'b,

Claiming that ol' Canada has their $hit together and we don't is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? Take the population of THIS country, and drop it in Canada and see how well your fish do. You Canucks try to directly compare your fisheries situation to ours in the lower 48, and you just make yourself look like an a$$ in doing so.

cowlitzfisherman is probably right in what he said about Canadians, you're probably right in what you said about us Yanks. The fact remains, though, that there are many transgretions on both sides of the border, but GUESS WHAT? WE didn't show up on a B.C. fishing bulletin board and start pointing OUR fingers at everybody. See the point?

[ 05-09-2001: Message edited by: Dan S. ]

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#113247 - 05/09/01 09:46 PM Re: Ilegal Guiding Threatens Access
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
WOW !!! THIS IS HARD TO MAKE OUT... On one hand we have a guy who says that its a big problem that people come up from the U.S and do guiding on the sly. Then some other guy says he thinks we should pay at least 50 dollars a day to fish up there... I think what your really trying to say is that you don't like us fishing up there. Thats pretty funny. I wonder how the lady who owns the hotel that we stay in feels about that.. how about the guy who owns the resturant??? it goes on and on..

Then some other dude gets on and says he knows or saw a guy kill 13 wild steelhead.. That ones on you buddy.. ( anybody think that really happened ???)Call a cop... thats just insane. And the B.S about not being able to because they are gone chasing after bears???

The whole issue is you just don't like people from the states and thats just fine. I'm really sorry you get about 54 cents on a dollar on every paycheck then give up half of that in taxes, hell, I would be a little cranky myself.

All the crap about having to get a guide to fish classified waters will never happen. The only people who think thats a good idea are the guides themselves and the guys who own the fly shop. Anyway, see ya in october. I'll be there and we will spend a bunch of money same as ever. We will fish hard and within the law and we will be real nice to your fish. A steelhead is a thing of beauty no matter where it swims

#113248 - 05/10/01 01:20 PM Re: Ilegal Guiding Threatens Access
finaddict Offline
Egg

Its unfortunate that BC has decided to pursue this method, but once again the actions of a few are forced on the many. I cannot feel any pity for visitors from other countries who will suffer the consequences as a result of this illegal guiding crackdown.

You who want to rub our noses in your almighty dollar and your lower taxes are reaping the benefits of a stronger and more market oriented economy. In that econmy what suffers is everything that can be is sucked out of the land for the almighty buck. We who live in Canada do suffer from higher taxes and lower income, but we get to enjoy all that nature has to offer. I can guarantee you that no matter how much money you as visitors bring in to this country, it will never compare to the amount of money I will invest in to this country from cradle to grave so that I can fish in God's country. You used to have God's country down there too, the difference is you f***ed it all up for your almighty buck. I guess it comes down to choices.

I have no interest in fishing in the lower 48 (nothing to fish for). If you want to come to Canada (a foreign country....NOT the 51st state) you gotta play by our rules.

#113249 - 05/10/01 01:37 PM Re: Ilegal Guiding Threatens Access
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Soon you'll all be part of "The United States of North America" then who will you blame....at least we'll finally get some good beer....Os

#113250 - 05/10/01 02:27 PM Re: Ilegal Guiding Threatens Access
backlash2 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Pasco, WA
You guys are really giving Canada a bad name..oh wait..it already is(do you know that their are 5 vowels in the language??) laugh

By all means, don't come south...The challenge of fishing down here would probably overcome your feeble, pink worm infested minds eek

As far as their not being anything to fish for, well, some of us still don't have too much of a problem knocking the crap out of them on a regular basis laugh laugh

So stay up north, watch the last team to play Canada's only sport migrate to the US(and CURLING is not a sport), and keep flaming on this board crying about Americans ruining everything for you....but you better pray China's troops don't show up off your shores, it's gonna be awfully hard to defend all that land nobody lives on with 13 foot knucklebusters and a case of Labatt's... wink

Favorite oxymoron: "CANADIAN MILITARY"

BTW-- To you great 'stewards' of the land... fly over Vancouver Island sometime and comeback here and explain to me the intricacies of your 'environmentally friendly' logging practices
rolleyes

[ 05-10-2001: Message edited by: backlash2 ]

#113251 - 05/10/01 03:47 PM Re: Ilegal Guiding Threatens Access
scottguides Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: elma
in the united states when someone is breaking the law you call the proper authorities to handle the problem.i can't believe the canadian authorities are too busy chasing bears to enforce the laws. rolleyes .scott

#113252 - 05/10/01 04:21 PM Re: Ilegal Guiding Threatens Access
finaddict Offline
Egg

Backlash,

You definately do no service to your argument when you attempt to instruct us dumb Canadians about the English language, and in doing so spell "their" incorrectly. The word should be "there". You approach your attempt to debate intelligently with the same accuracy that you approach your command on the English language.

I would also like to thank you for being first in the areas of forestry rape & pillage. Thanks to your past practises of logging we have been able to recognize your mistakes prior to making more of them ourselves.

You may also want to check the nationality of those who will win the Stanley cup this year. You will find that it will be at least 70% Canadian. With regards to the importation of sports, you should really review your history records. You will find that basketball and football both originated in Canada. Early on, we recognized that both those sports were pretty stupid to watch and play. You just took them and f***ed them all up in the same manner that Bettman is attempting to screw up hockey.

With regards to the Chinese coming over here to invade us...too late, it has already happened in Vancouver. Final comment - I love your moniker (that's a name) "backlash", it perfectly defines your attitude as well as the neuron processes you obviously suffer from.

Have an excellent day.

#113253 - 05/10/01 04:51 PM Re: Ilegal Guiding Threatens Access
backlash2 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Pasco, WA
Now that the spelling lesson is out of the way rolleyes ...I'm curious...You've just taken credit for more good things, and past off the blame for more bad stuff...You guys in cAnAdA must be freakin' perfect!!! All this *****ing and moaning....Has anyone in Canada EVER done ANYTHING wrong??? I've seen a lot of your women and I guarantee some SERIOUS flaws exist in the gene pool...The Canadians on this board gloat about having it all figured out...so what's up with some of the steelhead runs your Fish bio's are crying about disappearing....Your logging practices SUCK, but you blow it off by saying that 'American's sucked first'...that's an intelligent defense. rolleyes
And what's wrong with football?? You guys got sick of it because you couldn't keep the blades on your skates from sinking into the mud all the time. laugh
My only real point is this....You're ****ed up, we're ****ed up, everybody's ****ed up, quit crying about it and do something constructive!!! I suppose NOBODY who lives in Canada poaches, or litters all over the river, or runs a sled right through a hole a driftboat is fishing...it goes on and on. Quit trying to seperate yourself from us, like you're higher up the food chain, or social class. We're all fisherman, and we all have to deal with morons that guide with no license, poaching, etc.

British Columbia can't be that great, or more people might ACTUALLY LIVE THERE...

BTW- At least one of us isn't afraid to admit they make mistakes, so "there" you have it.....and it is "practices" with a C...

[ 05-10-2001: Message edited by: backlash2 ]

#113254 - 05/10/01 06:10 PM Re: Ilegal Guiding Threatens Access
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Given the direction this thread has taken, let's not forget that there are roughly an equal number of idiot a$$holes per capita on both sides of the border.

#113255 - 05/11/01 02:00 AM Re: Ilegal Guiding Threatens Access
ctflyfish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: ridgefield wa. usa
I'm concerned about where this thread is going. Go back to Cato's original post; I think he was just being helpful. This is not a Canada bash. We'll all have happier and more satisfying trips north if we remember that we are visitors to their country.
About three years ago, Al Troth, a respected Dillon Montana guide, published the same comment regarding unlicensed "guides" on central Montana rivers. The result? Check the current regulations: some rivers closed to non-Montana residents on weekends.

#113256 - 05/11/01 09:04 AM Re: Ilegal Guiding Threatens Access
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Right on Keta. WE all love to fish and we all have problems in Our fisherys WE have to work on together. There is no difference between U.S. loudmouths and B.C. loudmouths. I have always enjoyed my times up north! And I go because things are so screwed up here. Hey I have an idea < let's tell them how to run their country!

[ 05-11-2001: Message edited by: Jerry Garcia ]

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#113257 - 05/12/01 03:17 PM Re: Ilegal Guiding Threatens Access
Catostomus sp. Offline
Alevin

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
You are right ctfly. I was trying to get some help from one of the user groups through education and increased awareness. After all we all have to be stewards of the resource. It is not alright to visit a country and be ignorant of its laws. This is a famous excuse with the non english speaking visitors. If you see something this summer and fall that is wrong please report it. It does threaten your future access and I would hate for the government to get your $6US/day for a license and the $40US a night for a hotel room. After all you are the high roller users of our resource.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 410 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |