THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115619 - 06/20/01 12:41 AM To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
fishbreath Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham,WA
Just looking for some good information on which sled to buy. Anybody know anything about either Alumaweld's Super Vee Lt or Wooldridge's Alakan? I'm looking at the sixteen footer with a 90 horse Merc motor on the Alumaweld or the sixteen foot Wooldridge with a sixty Merc. Any comments from anyone about the Wooldridge tunnel, does it corner as well as they claim? Any information, aside from people who hate sleds, would be appreciated greatly!

#115620 - 06/20/01 01:10 AM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Personally, I'm not to excited with the woolridge product. I do like the alumaweld and have fished out of a 18' super vee Lt with a 115 merc. With three people it did ok but it was a bit underpowered. You may experience that with the 16 foot boat if you plan to fish 3 or more people. If you don't mind I will make two other reccomendations. A 16 foot, 6 foot wide koffler with a 115 yamaha or the same with a thor built. These two boats will run shallower and track much better than the alumaweld and woolridge.
Just my .02 cents worth. P.S. Just don't cut corners and underpower your boat.
Keith

#115621 - 06/20/01 04:47 AM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
tilla Offline
Parr

Loc: Portland
I agree, take the time to look at the Thorbuilt boats in Toledo, custom stuff and great guys. They build what you want and what others don't offer. I think they are doing 17-18 footers right now. :p

#115622 - 06/20/01 09:19 AM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Doug's Boats in Woodinville has some great deals on Custom Welds. A lot of boat for the money.

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

#115623 - 06/20/01 03:56 PM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
If your getting a 16' sled I wouldn't go with any thing less than a 90h.p.=60h.p. jet.
I would lean towards a 115h.p.=90h.p. jet if it's legal,meeting coast gaurd standards.Like
it was mentioned above don't go cheap on the power source or you'll be sorry.While your at it,get a four stroke kicker for it.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#115624 - 06/20/01 05:07 PM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
takedown Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bonney Lake Wa.
I have the Xtra plus in the 16,9 FT and I love it. It corners great. I have the 115 Yamaha and it a little under powered. I would not go with the Alaskan if you plan to use it on any big water.

#115625 - 06/20/01 05:07 PM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Go for H.P.!!! Get the biggest motor that you can afford. I haven't ran a Wooldridge, but I think that there's alot better boat out there than a Alumaweld (sorry guys, no offense). Boat room is a must, and alot of the Wool's are narrow boats. I like wide boats = more fishing room. I currently have a 18' FishRite w/ a 105 pump (150H.P.). It is fine but I would love another 2'. Willie Boats are awesome, as well as the other ones mentioned above. Remember, these boat shops will deal. Also, you'll probably get "2-footitis", so get the biggest boat that you think you will need. Good luck, and post your results.

#115626 - 06/20/01 05:43 PM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
screaminreelron Offline
Smolt

Loc: Roy,Wa
fishbreath, I have a 16' woolridge. It's powered by a 115hp. Screams when I am alone but with 3 guys I need all those pony's. I disagree totally with takedown's comment about big water. The big bow on the alaskan makes it fish much bigger. I fish every year at bouy 10 (and the gourge). That water is big and with a south wind and an out tide can be trouble. My boat fishes really well, considering its not big. Dont' get me wrong, I try not to be stupid out there, but every once in a while a guy gets caught. If you give it enough throttle to keep that bow up, it drives like a twenty footer. That's what i like about it,a small boat one guy can fish easily but it can bring you back. The windshield is nice on bigger water, as is the canopy. It is narrow, thus less room. A guy really needs 4 or 5 boats and no wife! But that's life? Ride in as many as you can. Then go for it, in a couple years you can sell when you have a better idea if you want. Good luck

#115627 - 06/20/01 07:29 PM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
FreeDrifter Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Vancouver,WA
I own an Alumaweld 18' Super Vee Pro with a 150 HP pump. Power wise it's perfect! The only problem is it's 5'6" wide. Thus, it needs more water to float in which isn't the best combination for free drifting. I agree in taking a look at Thor Built Boats. From what I've seen it will be the next boat I purchase! Also take a look at getting a 6 degree bottom with a 10 degree in the bow. That would make a free drifting dream. I you have any other questions give me an e-mail. Good Luck!

P.S.- Stay away from the Wooldridge!!!! If you buy an Alumaweld don't buy a boat under 20 feet!!

#115628 - 06/20/01 10:10 PM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have a wooldridge and love it, you have got to remember you can order them with wide bottoms if thats what you want, they will build you a boat any way you want it, i personaly wouldnt own an alumaweld with box girder construction it`s junk, sorry..

#115629 - 06/20/01 11:34 PM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
fishingdrunk Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: gold bar wa.
anyone know if thor boats has a webpage
thanks

#115630 - 06/21/01 02:24 AM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
Local Offline
Returning Adult

I had a small wooldridge for the past ten years and would buy another. It corners on a dime.

#115631 - 06/21/01 10:07 AM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
scottguides Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: elma
i,m in the process of buying a new sled also.i rode in a lot of sleds and you really need width and lots of power on a sled.get all the motor the boat will hold.the best sled i've seen so far is the motion marine guide model(outback)but the price is divorce like.most boat shops will let you drive them if you intend to buy so take your 2 biggest fishing buddys with ya and see if it will work with ya.all sleds run real good with 1 or 2 people in it.i've talked quite a bit with scott and bryan at 3 rivers marine in woodinville,these guys fish a lot and know how to set up a boat.good luck.scott

#115632 - 06/21/01 06:53 PM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i wouldnt own a sportjet, they are a joke.

#115633 - 06/21/01 10:01 PM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
SnagMagnet Offline
Parr

Loc: Boise, Idaho
<~~~~~just laughing..... If you want sumpin done right.....just DO IT yourself.... laugh

P.S. Snag's custom sleds coming to a river near you......

#115634 - 06/22/01 12:09 AM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
Doubletake Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
fb, I owned a Wooldridge Alaskan 15'11" with a 55 jet, ran it in very skinny water, turned on a dime, if you are in to back-trolling it will get into those nooks and crannies easy as it is as maneuverable with the trolling motor as it is with the big motor. It does hammer pretty hard on chop, is tight on room for more than 2 people because it is narrow, though I fished 3 rods quite often in mine. Don't know how it tracks as I mostly backtroll plugs and bait divers. Mine was an 1988, I don't know if they have changed much, I sold mine to get a little more room and my wife wanted higher sides (to feel safer)as she fishes with me a lot. Hope this helps.

Good luck

Doubletake

#115635 - 06/22/01 01:14 AM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
tilla Offline
Parr

Loc: Portland
Thor-Built does not have a website, but they are at 360-864-8900,Mike or Dean....exit 59 WA. Mine is a 21' with a 7' wide bottom 6 degree bottom, open sled, lotsa lotsa room. 200 EFI Merc w/pump. laugh

#115636 - 06/22/01 08:37 AM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
fishbreath Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham,WA
Hey everybody, thanks for all the info! I have committed myself to ordering a 16 ft Alumaweld Super Vee LT with a 90 horse tiller Merc, 50# electric Minn Kota trolling motor, extending step deck with diamond plate add on, seat box adjusters, wide trays with carpet, washdown pump assembly, tray/gunnel rubber, oar and anchor setup. It will be built at the end of July with delivery around the first week of August. I'm pumped!! Now I need to sell my current sled. Know anyone that wants to buy a 14 ft Almar with a fifty horse Mariner all set up to fish? I'm thinking in the fifty five hundred range.

Thanks again for all the posts!

#115637 - 06/27/01 10:28 PM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i`d step up to a 115, you may be unhappy with the 90.

#115638 - 06/28/01 05:02 PM Re: To buy Alumaweld or Wooldridge Sled?
tyeeterror Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Humboldt Nation
fishbreath,

i run a 1998 alumaweld 16 foot supervee lite center console with a 115 mercury jet at work. this is the worse boat i have ever ran. it is a dog getting out of the hole and cavitates horribly in sharp turns. we have lowered the motor and put on the bolt on side tabs with no effect. the motor is mounted as low as we could get it, so it seem that there is some type of water disruption in the hull that is causing cavitation. i personally own a 1998 17 foot alumaweld stryker with a 115 marineer. my boat has none of the problems noted above. just wanted to let you know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1442 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |