Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115725 - 06/20/01 10:59 PM Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
TROUTnSALMON Offline
Fry

Loc: Lacey, Wa
Can you fish for the Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks? Is it legal?
When do you all think they will make the opener call on lake Washington? Or will they.

#115726 - 06/20/01 11:17 PM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
They dont think there will be a season. Check out http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/fish/sockeye/counts.htm for the latest counts. 350,000 is their escapement goal.

#115727 - 06/21/01 10:03 AM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
Fish4Fun Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton
The area outside of a line from Meadow Point to West Point will open on July 1st. Shilshole Bay is closed.

#115728 - 06/21/01 11:10 AM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Even when Shilshole used to be open years ago, I never could catch those sockeye out in the salt.

Anyone ever catch those reds out in the salt by Shilshole? If so, what did you use and what was your catch rate? Just curious to know.

#115729 - 06/21/01 11:18 AM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
Fish4Fun Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Parker, I understand it is pretty much the same set-up as the lake. The big key is to find the fish. I plan on doing it on the 1st, it is a big outgoing tide that morning which should help pull the fish back to the open area. We have some ideas to try, I hope they produce.

#115730 - 06/21/01 01:22 PM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Try running five or six extra flashers on each downrigger spread from top to bottom, no hooks on these of course. Troll very slow and turn often.

#115731 - 06/21/01 01:51 PM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
The Sockeye counts from last year are very similiar to this years at this point(with in 10%). Lets hope the numbers continue to increase as they did last year. smile

#115732 - 06/21/01 04:03 PM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
At this point we are only 989 fish down from
last years counts.I think we will get a season.But it will be in mid July for three or four days only.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#115733 - 06/21/01 04:11 PM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
Fish4Fun Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Strike Zone, That is why I want to figure out how to get them in the salt. I know they can be caught, it is just a little different on the set up.

#115734 - 06/21/01 09:22 PM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
We used to get sockeye out in the salt with the same bare-hook setup that is used in the lake but.....be prepared to kill about 50 smolts and sub-legal blackmouth per adult sockeye as the little ones just can't seem to resist the bare hook in the salt. This was about 10 years ago when I still had a saltwater boat and I was fishing with a Shilshole regular. I would strongly advise against using the bare hook rig because of the increased smolt mortality. I cannot divulge the other lure we used to use for saltwater sockeye as my friends would shoot me but.........I will say that it's a commercial sockeye rig that we stumbled upon and used successfully after finding huge schools of fish stacked up outside of Shilshole that wouldn't bite on conventional saltwater salmon gear.We soon discovered that they were sockeye and put the hurt on 'em. Parker, you know what the secret lure is, as it's the bait that's named after you wink I'll just leave y'all with that subtle hint. Peace

Justin

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: Kid Sauk ]

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#115735 - 06/22/01 10:58 AM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
TnS:

I had the same logic in my head last year and tried "heading them off at the pass", well in this case the boundary between West Pt. and Meadow Pt. Fished it a couple of times with no takers. Tried the bare hook, but they seemed uninterested.

If your going to try it the best tip I can give you is that many years ago back in the early 90's I worked as a DFW observer on the commercial sockeye boats up in the San Juans. Many of a time I inspected Sockeye on the deck that had a small pink hootchie stuck in thier jaw that broke of from some poor angler. One fish even came in the net once that had a red hot spot flasher and the pink hootchie dangling from his gullet. I would also recommend fishing in the top 25' of water, sockeye are typically caught in the top layer of the gillnet 85% of the time in the salt.

Good Luck!

Bobber Down

"Keep your hooks sharp!"

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#115736 - 06/22/01 11:36 AM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
I know the bare hook rig works, but let's talk about common sense logic. I would have a hard time draggin my Midwest buddies out in a lake or the ocean, and trolling with a bare hook.

Can't imagine the looks I would get. Hell, we trolled for 10 hours over fish all day long and didn't get a single taker on our bare hook. Whooda Thunk it. laugh laugh

They would wet themselves when the rods started doubling over, and we were pounding fish on bare hooks. confused confused It's all good

#115737 - 06/22/01 12:07 PM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Some folks used a flasher and blaze orange flatfish before the discovery of the "bare red hook" methos. My friend who fished it a lot in the 80's used a "20" sized lure with pretty good results.

I can remember trying for them outside of the locks when the Shillshoal king fishery was big, but never had any takers.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#115738 - 06/22/01 01:38 PM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Thanks for reminding me, Kid. I went in and edited the photos that gave away the secret! Maybe I give out a little too much information in my "Tackle" section of my Grip N Grins! wink

Yeah, I figured those would work, but wanted to see what people had used in the past.

The biggest difference we noticed about this new technique was a much better hooknkeep rate. With their soft mouths, the reds have a tendency to shake out a solo octopus style hook. These new rigs were almost always sticking them on the top of the mouth and out through the eye. I don't think we lost a single Red last year in the Lake on this setup.

I give credit to those commercial boys. They really know how to haul in fish.

#115739 - 06/22/01 10:43 PM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
Kid Sauk Offline
I'm a freak'n CAKE

Loc: Almost on the beach
Thanks, Parker wink Ya know, like I said, if it's named after you.....it has to be good laugh

Peace

My name is Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddd.....
KID SAUK!!!!!

#115740 - 06/23/01 12:35 AM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
Trick Offline
Fry

Loc: St. Helens, OR
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but there are thousands of sockeyes passing over Bonneville. They had a day this week over 10,000. How can we get these to bite in freshwater. I've caught hundreds of steelhead and salmon along the Columbia over the past couple decades and have never caught one. If you have a secret tip, please help us sporties get into them, it seems kinda of ashame to let the indians net every single one of these. frown

#115741 - 06/23/01 07:23 PM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
Trick Offline
Fry

Loc: St. Helens, OR
Had a freind that caught one yesterday on a plunked spin-n-glo of one of the lower river beaches. So I guess it is possible. Still any other tips would be appreciated.

#115742 - 06/26/01 12:30 AM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
ReiterRat Offline
Gearhead

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Heard a "rumor" from a very reliable source today that Auburn Sports and Marine took in 7 boats from the Muckelshoots to be set up for fishing in Lake Washington for sockeye.Can anybody elaborate on this?They must know something we don't.

#115743 - 06/26/01 01:32 AM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
The counts look way behind last years already, but a few days of rain could get some fish in. Keep on crossing those fingers.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#115744 - 06/28/01 01:45 AM Re: Sockeye outside of the Ballard Locks
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
Hey Reiter Rat, odd thing, I heard the same rumor from a source, not sure how reliable it is though.LOL. Is KY jelly reliable? Just kidding, your source is one of the coolest guys in the industry! I am leaving for Montana at 4:00 AM tomorrow, when I get back the Sockeye fisherman will be getting ready. I would say the 4th is too early, my guess would be about July 14th. Got the red hooks in stock? If not, I know where you can get'em

See y'all in 2 weeks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1408 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |