THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116202 - 07/04/01 01:14 PM Re: Should fishing guides be allowed to hook your limits?
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
From what I've seen on the Cowlitz the last few years,guides get away with a lot of special treatment.Like handing off rods.Limiting the boat instead of the liscense etc.I've seen several tickets on the bank for this,but never in a boat.If the guide needs to fish to make sure he's setting up right,great.But after he limits how about releasing every fish he catches.Then as a client limits they and their pole are done.Guides would probably have to put in more time to earn that money. In regards to one of snapsets replies I will agree that guides work their tails off.I have to disagree with the kind of money they make though.I know that when the silvers are in all the guide have 4-6 clients.$125-$150 a pop. Plus I've seen a lot of 2 trip days.I realize there are a lot of expenses but they also get a lot of freebies,like demo rods,reels,line etc.You add it up and tell me theres not much money in it. What I'm getting at is it gives the guides incentive to get limits and off the river as soon as possible.Cutting down on fuel and bait costs,plus the possibilty of getting the second trip of the day.If there was'nt good money in it they would't be doing it. I say treat everybody the same no matter who you are or how you fish,It surely does'nt work that way on the Cowlitz though!

#116203 - 07/04/01 01:57 PM Re: Should fishing guides be allowed to hook your limits?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
An interesting thread to say the least, even fielded a phone call from a Cowlitz guide who wanted me to edit it, not gonna happen.

Hard for me to be totally unbiased as most will understand, but this is my take on it ...

Passing a rod is okay, many have come up with good examples of where to draw the line. I regularly run a third plug rod when I do plug ... we're each licensed and have the right to fish. As for drifting, some days I fish some, other days none at all, much of it depends on what the clients want and where / how we're fishing. Some people want to watch me fish and see just how I do things myself ... a picture IS worth a thousand words. Some people gladly take the rod to play a fish, others say it's all mine thanks - smile

Where I think we ought to see a line drawn is when it comes down to a "boat limit". I don't believe in regularly keeping a limit of fish for the guide and sending that fish home with the client. I can't say that I've NEVER done it, but usually only under extenuating circumstances once in a blue moon. Once in a while, I do keep a limit of fish (usually clipped silvers in the fall or some brats) for myself, as I don't get much chance to go out and put a fish or two in our fridge (I rarely freeze anything).

It wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit though to see a "no limit kept for the guide" restriction implemented though. In a time when many runs are scarcer, I don't think it's a good practice. After all, it's a limited resource and we're (most of us anyhow) not selling the "meat" anyhow. I would venture a guess that most of the better guides would feel the same way.

A lot of "grey" area involved in this one, but I think common sense and a respect for the fishery should prevail ... too much to ask??

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#116204 - 07/04/01 03:42 PM Re: Should fishing guides be allowed to hook your limits?
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
Thanks Bob for not caving into the few, because your site represent the views of the many! That is what makes your site number 1. I think it great when a site like yours can generate so many different opinions without people trying to put each other down. As a past fishing guide myself, I was always very concerned about the issues that are posted in this thread.

That is why I brought them to this BB attention. As fishermen, be it a guide, or be it a sport fishermen, we need to know about these "gray areas". What better place could fishermen fine to have these "openly discussed" issues then "Piscatorial Pursuits'"?

Your web site gives fishermen an open view of many different opinions on numerous fishing techniques and fish related issues. In my opinion, it's the best free fishing newspaper on the market. Thanks again, for not editing a real good informative topic.

Cowlitzfisherman,

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????
wink

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#116205 - 07/04/01 04:11 PM Re: Should fishing guides be allowed to hook your limits?
River Rat Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Tacoma Wa. Perice
In a drift boat pulling plugs who hooks the fish same diff I hand off my rod to total strangers at times I get more fish then I need but love to be on the water yes I release fish but love to see other have a chance and yes the last few years I have fished solo due to a life style change But who cares who hooks a fish the trick is to land it so I don't care if the rod is in the pole holder pulling plugs or if the guide hands off or tells them to jerk let those that would not get a chacne have one how or who ever help them

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
backcast, Bad-Daddio, Drifter, FishinFredo, kmiller
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Krijack), 264 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63785 Topics
645439 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |