Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117951 - 07/26/01 12:27 PM 9.9 4 stroke reverse
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
my 9.9 merc 4stroke keeps popping up in reverse i know they are suppose to lock but can't seem to find the latch or locking mechenism any help would be great thanks in advance doug

#117952 - 07/26/01 01:32 PM Re: 9.9 4 stroke reverse
DriftWood Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma, Wa, USA
Most O.B's ive seen have a bracket that pops down over the rod that you use to set the trim. Find the rod and look for a part that looks like a claw then trace it to the problem.

#117953 - 07/26/01 03:07 PM Re: 9.9 4 stroke reverse
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I have a locking bar on mine that looks kind of like the pin used to secure your trailer hitch to the frame mount, but longer and skinnier and without a cotter pin. There are two pinched notches that slide into notches in the slot. Looks like this:

t
!
!
!
!
L

Mine hold the kicker in place when making short runs so you don't have to pop up the kicker, disconnect the bar to the main motor for steering, and then redo the whole thing after you made your short run. I must say that I have only used it twice as I am concerned about additional stress that I might place in the bracket and motor.

Your motor may not be designed for this, so you may be using too much throttle in reverse. Reverse is generally only for manuevering, not full throttle travel. You could also just put your hand on top of the motor when you have this happens. best of luck. Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#117954 - 07/26/01 03:44 PM Re: 9.9 4 stroke reverse
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Most kicker motors have a little tab, that you push down to let the motor pivot up, or flip up, to make the motor stay locked down. On my Yamaha 9.9, if you're looking at the front of the motor from inside the boat, the tab is just below the tiller arm, towards the right side of the motor, but on the main body of the motor. There is also a separate tab on the left side of the motor, this one is for holding the motor in the upright position once you've pulled it up.

-N.

#117955 - 07/26/01 07:39 PM Re: 9.9 4 stroke reverse
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Doug, I've run Merc. 9.9's for a few years on charter boats and can tell you that the locking mechanisms are a week point on these motors. I strictly motor-mooched and sometimes in rather rough condition where I had to run the kicker pretty hard in reverse, there is a plastic piece that will break, I broke 3 to 5 every season (4 months) once it breaks the motor will not stay down at much more then idle speed in reverse. I've run Yamaha's and an old Evinrude in the same conditions and never had a problem.

#117956 - 07/26/01 11:16 PM Re: 9.9 4 stroke reverse
Doubletake Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, Wa.
Hi Doug, how are ya? My Merc. 9.9 (2000) locks down in neutral and in reverse and is unlocked in the forward position. If you flip the shifter and follow the linkage down that heads toward the gear box, you will see a smaller piece of linkage come from the main linkage about a foot down from the top. It goes up and over the mounting frame (toward the boat)and down to the locking tabs ( a double hook set up) right at the bottom of the mount. Hope this helps

Good luck

Doubletake

#117957 - 07/27/01 11:25 AM Re: 9.9 4 stroke reverse
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
hi doubletake, mine also is a 2000, after reading all the posts went home messed around and figured it out haven't run it but 4 times still very new to me but wow, i sure love it, doug. thanks for all the other posts really helped out

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: DOUG KELLY ]

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |