Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121186 - 09/12/01 11:01 AM Kalama Help
JohnBoy Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Kelso
PLEASE HELP!I am looking for some good advice on silver fishing techniques from my drift boat on the Kalama. It is my Grandpa's birthday and ALL he wants to do is go fishing on the Kalama. I have fished the Kalama for steelhead from my driftboat but not for the silvers. I have fished on the shore for silvers. But, Grandpa needs to fish from the boat(89 years old)We will be going out this Sat. Thanks all.

#121187 - 09/12/01 02:29 PM Re: Kalama Help
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
Backtroll wiggle warts! Cast wigle warts! Drift bait. The coho in the bama attack pink, purple, and red warts eek. If there are fish stacked in deep slow water cast and retrieve. Backtroll all your normal haughts and slots. Hope this help..........and like I said early they love warts, I've watched fish move 25ft to attack em! Good luck to gramps! eek

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#121188 - 09/12/01 03:06 PM Re: Kalama Help
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
I don't want to throw cold water on your trip but the Kalama River has very low water levels right now. If you take a drift boat, I would stay in the reach between Pritchard's and Modrow Bridge (remember the section between Hatchery Creek and the gas pipeline behind Kalama River Bait and Tackle is flies only!). Even then, be prepared to get out occasionally and pull your boat through the riffles. They're too shallow to float a drift boat even without any weight. It's likely to stay low until we get rain. Which isn't in the forecast before Saturday.

The coho will be stacked up in the large pools. Wiggle warts will work as suggested. My recommendation is to use #4 spinners in orange or chartruese. Work them very SLOWLY along the bottom. Consider drifting eggs too. Big gobs of eggs early in the morning seem to work. Good luck.

#121189 - 09/12/01 03:20 PM Re: Kalama Help
JohnBoy Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Kelso
Would I be able to get down from Modrow to Camp Kalama? confused

#121190 - 09/12/01 04:30 PM Re: Kalama Help
Firedog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SW Washington
Coho, I am not even sure you can get a drift boat down from pritchards. That first piece of white water is pretty narrow and shallow right now. Not much water in the kalama at all right now.

Brothers and Sisters you will not be forgotten

#121191 - 09/12/01 06:07 PM Re: Kalama Help
Gizmo Man Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Ridgefield, WA
Modrow to camp Kalama is not doable as there is a trap in operation. They have the river blocked to divert the fish into the trap.

Try lauching between the I5 bridge and the mouth. Work you way past the houses and look for the pilings in the bend of the river about 100 yds from the mouth of the river.

Try some eggs or casting warts.

Also. pay the price and try fishing with the crowds at Camp Kalama.

Good luck with Grandpa.

Giz...

#121192 - 09/12/01 07:58 PM Re: Kalama Help
kalamabama Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: LaCenter Wa USA
Gizom Man is right. Fish the tide water below the I5 bridge. Exit Kalama river road go west. over the train tracks first left to the launch go down stream. Pitch warts and spinners in the deep holes you can also go out the mouth and fish the same way .

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |