Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121621 - 09/19/01 12:04 PM Snohomish Silvers
Don S. Offline
Egg

Loc: Everett,Wa
After fishing the lower Snohomish out of Lowell and catching lots of humpies I want to get some silvers. So far I've tried eggs, spin glos, vibrax and jigs. I was just wondering if it was still a bit early or am I using the wrong things.

#121622 - 09/19/01 02:15 PM Re: Snohomish Silvers
bank walker Offline
Spawner

Don, the silvers are starting to show in good numbers. Last week there were a few pods here and there, but now it looks like there are some pretty good schools coming out of lowell and into Snohomish. I got a 10 lb silver last weekend and a buddy of mine got an 11 and 7 pounder two days ago. They are pretty tough to make bit compared to the pinks. Try throwing wee dic nites at them, or small spinners....
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#121623 - 09/19/01 02:31 PM Re: Snohomish Silvers
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
Don:

Try small dick nites half/half, or warts. Target an hour before and hour after the low as your best shot at getting a hookup.

I'll be out there this weekend in my 12-foot yacht (red Lund, old-man blue launch wheels in back). Say hello if you see me.

BD

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#121624 - 09/19/01 06:14 PM Re: Snohomish Silvers
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
bobber down, what area can you fish the snohomish in a boat? doug

#121625 - 09/19/01 09:47 PM Re: Snohomish Silvers
8 FOOT LEADER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
Ohh yeah Silvers on the way baby! Looks like 3 rivers Marine in conjunction with other groups will be hosting a statewide Silver Derby this weekend! Hopefully my boat is outta the shop in time.

#121626 - 09/19/01 10:02 PM Re: Snohomish Silvers
Cascade Bob Offline
Parr

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA. U.S.A.
Dick Nite`s in #1 50/50. The silvers are already into the Sky. Good Fishin` BH

#121627 - 09/20/01 11:24 AM Re: Snohomish Silvers
Don S. Offline
Egg

Loc: Everett,Wa
Well I decided to try your tips out after work yesterday. Got to the launch about 4:30 and this guy coming in had a 17# beauty. I wasn't so lucky but I did catch a 5# hen right off the bat but nothing after that. I hope to make it out again tomorrow and again on Sunday. Thanks to all for the info..... :p

[ 09-20-2001: Message edited by: Don S. ]

#121628 - 09/21/01 02:31 PM Re: Snohomish Silvers
8 FOOT LEADER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

It has been my experience in the past that silvers are a fish that definetley go on "the bite". There may be hords of them in a particular place in the river or out in the sound. They may be jumping all around doing cartwheels on the surface of the water getting rid of sea lice, or ripping wakes on the surface chasing their fellow fish around. Times like that I like to sit back and just appreciate and take in all the wonders of salmon. Because surely there will be a bite at some point in the day. Maybe only for a few minutes or maybe an hour, or maybe spurratic throughout the day. But one thing I always remember, stick to the one thing that always guarentees a catch when the bite does happen. I see many fishermen make the mistake of changing lures when the fish aren't biting. Then when the bite happens, they are left without a fish.

We know from peoples posts in this forum what people use to catch silvers. I think the most popular is the dick-nite spoon. VERY small dick-nites I might add. I've caught them mainly from a boat using dick-nites. Just free drifted in the current with a split-shot about 6 ft. up the line. Just let out alot of line and use your fish-finder to find an area where they are stacked up. Give yourself alot of room upriver from them to let your dick-nite get down. OR if your in a tidal area of the river during slack, troll them slowly back and forth where the fish are gathered. Its amazing how hard they will hit a little spoon! Its been my experience that casting dick-nites from the bank doesn't work simply because its very difficult to get the spoon down to the fish and present it the right way.

My next favorite method is trolling steelie wiggle-warts. Just tie one of these suckers on your line, cast it behind your boat and troll it through an area of the river where fish are stacked against the bottom. This is a big producer when the bites on. Troll the plugs about 5 ft above the fish and make sure your drag is loose because the bite is going to be viscous.

And for those folks casting from the shore. My favorite lure of choice is the super-vibrax spinner in chartruese or blue. The key here is getting the spinner down. I usually cast is out, let is settle to the bottom and then retrieve fast. As the lure approaches, slow down and let it flutter, maybe let it flutter almost to the bottom, its been my experience when the lure flutters they will SLAM it.

Anyway, goodluck and tight lines.
wink

#121629 - 09/22/01 01:22 AM Re: Snohomish Silvers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd like to hear from someone who has tried black yarn on these fish? Or all black vibax spinners? Really worked on the Quil fish.

Cove RV Park & Tackle Prostaff(1)
Always Fish On!
Gooose

#121630 - 09/23/01 01:27 AM Re: Snohomish Silvers
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Gooose,

The lower Snohomish is a big river. a lot of tidal influence. There aren't many places to drift fish yarn. There is one place where the river shallows up, and has the current to drift, but this place is usually plagued by snaggers. Just ask Parker or Kid Sauk about the Thomas eddy, Douglas bar snaggers. I think they had a run-in with them last year? Anyway, yes, the black-bladed spinners can be very effective at times. Snohomish silvers are some of the most fickle fish around. There can be thousands of them rolling all around, but they just won't hit anything that you throw. But if you pay your dues there, you can sometimes unlock the secret, and have some great days. smile

#121631 - 09/23/01 03:39 AM Re: Snohomish Silvers
8 FOOT LEADER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I hear ya on the fickle part! Caught a nice hooknose today on the Lower Snohomish and cheers went up from many boats. Thought maybe there was a bankie taking an unwanted dip.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |