THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127122 - 11/19/01 12:54 PM Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Just a quick note to those three jet skiers on the Sky yesterday:

Just wanted to thank you for skiing over our plugs, running up and down a spawning side-channel, and in general, pissing us and about 6 bankies off.

And you wonder why jet skies are being banned.

Oh, and since I'm at it. Wholly crap! I really didn't notice how much bank errosion damage a large sled on the Sky really does! Truly amazing!

PS. "Large sled" as in those 22+' inboard, seats 8, Hell's Canyon runnin' MoFo's out there. Why the heck does anyone need that large of a sled on the Sky?????? Care to explain that one to me??????? I think it's a Short Man's complex thing.

"Oh, the Sultan's runnin' high today. Better take out Ol' Jumbo!". Give me a break.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: parker ]

#127123 - 11/19/01 01:24 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
Parker you might want to talk to john Koenig about that!! eek He has a 22 foot Boulton..I doubt it is short man complex Johns about 6'4".
You might want to give him a call and tell him about your dislikes.. laugh

#127124 - 11/19/01 01:49 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
tvhosts Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA USA
Parker,

Some guys do several different types of fishing. Not many of them can afford a new boat that perfectly matches the river size every time they go to a different fishery. Smaller sleds can toss a pretty good wake at shore too.

If you had just snagged the jetskiers and conked them on the head with a thermos, the sled wake wouldn't have bothered you so bad later.

K

#127125 - 11/19/01 01:51 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

No way! Well, if a GUIDE has a 22+ MonstoSled, and runs it up and down the Sky, then I guess it's all ok. Especially if it's John.
rolleyes

You're right Kevin. Fire off those 22+ Monstrosities up the Upper Sky, Nooch, Hump, and Satsop. If the fish die off, we'll just blame those damn indians! wink Oh, and I don't think even you would have wasted a perfectly good thermos on those jet ski pukes! wink

Besides, JOHN owns a 22' sled. It's all ok now.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: parker ]

#127126 - 11/19/01 02:05 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

You said "why does anyone need a 22' sled around here"you didn't say just the Sky Parker.I dont agree with that... The cowlitz, skagit,lower Chehalis are all big enough rivers for a sled that size..There is places that can handle larger sleds and thats where they should be...I never said since it was John its ok you were the one raggin about it being short man complex..

Now the jet skies its a different story they have no place in a river!!

And yes I have seen 20+ footers on the nooch and satsop.In high water conditions!!But are they compairable size to the Cowlitz or Skagit?

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: The Reel Timber Man ]

#127127 - 11/19/01 02:17 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
Parker right on about the jet skies,right on about monster sleds.

#127128 - 11/19/01 02:22 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

TM - I went back and edited my original post to just the Sky.

#127129 - 11/19/01 02:24 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Hey Centerpin - I believe I saw you just below two-bit. You were backtrolling near another sled. How did you guys do and what were you fishing for? Any steelies?

We saw one small nate steelhead cnr'd on Sunday. The guy got it on a Dick Nite while fishing for Coho.

#127130 - 11/19/01 02:26 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Now I agree ya parker sleds of that size dont have any business on the Sky!!!! laugh

#127131 - 11/19/01 02:33 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
rainycity Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Parker,
i don`t agree with the jet skiers running and down the river either, but I suriously doubt that they (the fellows who were jet skiing) are reading this board.

#127132 - 11/19/01 02:40 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Yeah, I know. I was just griping. They were more annoying then anything else. The fish still kept on being caught after they zoomed away. Matter of fact, I don't think the woof woofs even cared!

Certainly can't gripe about the fishing! Any 20+ fish day is a good day!

#127133 - 11/19/01 02:59 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Although intended as food for thought, this may come across as flame bait.

DISCLAIMER: I loathe jetskis but do own a 16' sled.

Why is it that jetskis don't belong on the Sky, but a jet sled (of some length, but less than 22')does? Admittedly, running up and down side channels where chum and maybe coho are actively spawning seems like a case of out-and-out wildlife harrassment.

But as far as a river is a navigable waterway, what makes one form of watercraft more right than another? Let's see, since a raft, driftboat, or sled are well suited to my intended activity, that is, fishing, they are appropriate watercraft for the river. And since jetskis seem to be operated by lunatics whose apparent intention is to harrass wildlife, fishermen, and render the river unfit for other uses, like fishing, jetskis are inappropriate.

I brought this up because I heard of a young man a few years ago, clad in his neoprene waders, zipping around the Snake River from drift to drift, where he'd park his jetski and then fish by wading from the bank. Seems like a jetski could be used as a "mini" jet sled by solo anglers, even if it's an unlikely application overall.

And by what criteria does one decide when a given jet sled length is too large for a given river? I think safety is a suitable criteria, but that's not very specific. I think it can get pretty dicey on rivers like the Satsop and Humptulips, where the "thread" in a shallow riffle around a river bend can be quite narrow, and a drift boat coming downstream has nowhere else to go, and a jet sled heading up stream on step also has nowhere else to go (if he slows, he grounds out), and the "thread" of the stream is too narrow for both boats to occupy the same space at the same time. Ever see that happen, or almost happen? Yet I believe the navigational rules of the road are that powerboats must yield to non-power boats.

Your thoughts?

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#127134 - 11/19/01 03:07 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
There was a jet skier on the Snoqualmie on Saturday. He launched just below the cable hole and would actually run up past where no motors are allowed, up past Tokul Creek and back.

#127135 - 11/19/01 03:10 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Remember Parker, it's not the jetski, it's the operator that's the problem.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#127136 - 11/19/01 04:11 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
UltimateFeashKacher Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
More bank erosion than recent rain and flood?!

It is not illegal to run jet ski on sky is it? May be some of them need to be more courteous since we have to share the river.

#127137 - 11/19/01 04:19 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
rainycity Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Salmo,
I never really thought of using a jet-ski for a mini jet boat but sheez, it does kind of have warrant, he wouldn`t be much appreciated by many but really, a guy puts on a pair of neoprene waders and hops on a jet-ski to access his favorite fishing holes, that thing could get to places nothing else could. Hmmm,hope that doesn`t catch on.. eek

#127138 - 11/19/01 04:25 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Do they make an aluminum jet ski??? eek

#127139 - 11/19/01 04:29 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
bank walker Offline
Spawner

Jet Skiis on the Sky, big a$$ sleds on the Sky, whats new??? I severely dislike ANY sled on the Sky. Its a fairly small river for motor boats. Dont let fisherman dictate the water volume to run a sled, just get rid of them. The snohomish is fine if you want to race around.

Parker, i hope you gave those yuppie jet skiers a earful =)

fish on....
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#127140 - 11/19/01 04:59 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
It sounds like this could all be solved. I guess I'll be bringing heat in the boat. My pet snake 357 colt python. Jetskis don't run so great with holes in em'. I seriously don't ever think I would have to shoot it. Just ask those jetskiers if they want any? Or just go fork's style on em' and pop every tire on that dam trailer. There are so many bodies of water to rip around on. Its a hot topic. Who should fish where? Most peolpe know the boundries and use common scence. The snake will talk the rest into making the right choice. I do agree about erosion problems from big sleds. Many times I've been on anchor fishin' k-fish and a big sled will go by, 5 minutes later I have to reel em' in to get all the crap off my line and plug. They wash the bank away! Until river banks naturally evolve to meet the neeed of sleds, they will keep eroding. Thats why I'm sort of a driftboat purist, we leave the river the same as it was. Very very little damage is done to the river. Plus if your a real man, ya row! Sleds are for washed up old farts with money that are too lazy. In my opinion all rivers should have motor bans except the snohomish, skagit, cow, lewis, chehalis, colombia.

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#127141 - 11/19/01 05:02 PM Re: Thanks - to the jet skiers on the Sky!
tvhosts Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA USA
I don't own a boat so I don't have boat bias here...but I don't see how sled wake could even remotely effect a river as much as the surge of rains we've had lately.

And am I the only one that's ever noticed how several trampled and destroyed some of the favorite bank fishing areas are?

As has already been stated, it's the operation of the sled that does or doesn't cause problems.

K

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
free time, greenlayoid, Kokanee Kids, Lisa Tyree, SpinyRay
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 923 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645426 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |