Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130186 - 12/12/01 11:20 AM The economics of catch&release on wild steelhead
Les Johnson Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle, Washington, King Coun...
It is no secret that I am a strong supporter of catch and release of all wild steelhead. I have arrived at my position based upon my more than fifty years of fishing in Washington rivers and a lot of others from California to SE Alaska. There is no question that our once magnificent runs of steelhead have undergone a nearly catastrophic delcline over the past several years. Saving the native steelhead is a way to ensure our gene pools, rebuild those important early-arriving winter steelhead and to allow the entire run state-wide to rebuild.
The economics of catch and release to communities like Forks, Naselle or Marblemount have the potential to be huge.
Over the Thanksgiving weekend my wife Carol and I decided to make a trip to the Olympic Peninsula to try for steelhead. We stayed at the Hard Rain RV Park ($60.00), purchased groceries at the Forks Thriftway ($48.00), purchased gas (34.00), shopped for Christmas gifts at local shops ($160.00)and stopped at Olympic Sports for a few flies (8.00). We did not take home a steelhead but had a wonderful time and added a gross amount of $310 to the gross economy of Forks, Washington.
I love to have a chance a big wild steelhead but I don't have to kill one to enjoy the catch. A photo will do nicely.
Conversely, I kill nearly every hatchery steelhead I catch because being an old Aberdeen boy I grew up on fish, deer, elk and oysters. There seem to be plenty of hatchery steelhead for me to catch.
Growing the economic bases of small communities such as Naselle, Forks or Marblemount can be very tightly tied to tourist/sport fishing dollars. This is going to become increasingly important given the fact that timber and commercial fishing industries are not likely to rebound to historical levels.
Catch and release of all wild steelhead in Washington is not the mantra of rich, elitist Seattle, yuppie flyfishermen. There are a lot of anglers who use all kinds of gear who are on board for catch and release. It is the future of our steelhead fishery.

Les Johnson

#130187 - 12/12/01 08:18 PM Re: The economics of catch&release on wild steelhead
Sinktip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
Amen Brother!

#130188 - 12/13/01 01:14 AM Re: The economics of catch&release on wild steelhead
Jumbo Offline
Smolt

Loc: Seattle, Wa
DON'T MESS WITH LES!!!!

#130189 - 12/13/01 02:32 AM Re: The economics of catch&release on wild steelhead
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Quote:
Originally posted by Jumbo:
DON'T MESS WITH LES!!!!

I learned the hard way!!!

#130190 - 12/13/01 01:48 PM Re: The economics of catch&release on wild steelhead
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim, Washington
People were saying that the guides would be hit hard by cnr. It seems to me that people that go with a guide go fishing because they like it, not because they want meat. Otherwise it would be much cheaper for them to buy it at the store. Down the road if the wild steelhead have made a comeback the guides will be positively influenced by cnr because there will be more fish to catch. Just my $.02.

~ Dr Pepper

http://www.steelheader.net

#130191 - 12/13/01 08:31 PM Re: The economics of catch&release on wild steelhead
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
Bob made an excellent point at the commision hearings this past Saturday. He added up how much is strictly wild steelhead release guide business pumps in the local economy and it came out to $150,000. eek

#130192 - 12/14/01 08:57 PM Re: The economics of catch&release on wild steelhead
Anonymous
Unregistered

The same applies to commercial gillnetting. Their contibution to the economy is very small compared to sportfishing impact. If they cut out the gillnets the economy improves in most places.

#130193 - 12/14/01 09:25 PM Re: The economics of catch&release on wild steelhead
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
A great point Les, that I wish more business owners in communities like Forks would consider. Quite frankly, I don't think these folks know any differently. I would venture to guess that few of the biz owners have spent much time in the premier steelhead areas of the world and see the bucks that are dropped w/o any hesitation at all.

It may take some time, but people will see this fact eventually!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 410 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |