THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130854 - 12/17/01 07:03 PM Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
Fish Hunter Offline
Fry

Loc: St. Helens, OR
Found an old fishing log from 1990 with about 6 entrys in it. The whole thing is mainly blank. I can tell by my old entrys that I have learned a thing or two since then. For 2002 I resolve to start keeping a better fishing log. I do jot a few notes in the boat log but thats not quite good enough. My question is who keeps a log and how detailed do you get? Has anyone seen any fishing log software available? Has anyone gone as far as a personal fishing database using MS Access? ...(are the rivers blown or what?) I am interested in getting more organized. It would seem handy to have your search function by species, date, river etc. The main idea is to get a system down that is useful, easy to implement and make filling it out a habit.

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Fish Hunter ]

#130855 - 12/17/01 07:23 PM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
outliketrout Offline
Parr

Loc: Monroe, WA
I photo copied a bunch of detailed log sheets, 3-hole punched them, and put them in a cool little pocked organizer. I only record the unusual fish in it, the ones that mental notes will not justify.

#130856 - 12/17/01 07:26 PM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
Well since you asked my friend and I have built a sort of E-logbook/Archive that is made up of web pages for personal use and for family and friends to drool over LOL. Everything is by fish species, and date. We made the site just so we could start to see patterns in fish behavior and exactally what they were hitting on and when and pictures of the fish we caught to go along with it. It's not really a public site although some links to it do exsist. It's a little over a year old and has come in handy especially when trying to figure out where and what the Mackinaw or Steelhead are biting on. It's nice to look back and pick a lure or setup combo that you know worked at a paticular time. And to just look at the pictures and remember the day. An idea for ya if your thinkin of ideas for a log book. Check it out if you would like [url=Http://hometown.aol.com/flyfishnfreak][url=Http://hometown.aol.com/flyfishnfreak][url=Http://hometown.aol.com/flyfishnfreak]Http://hometown.aol.com/flyfishnfreak[/url][/url][/url]

#130857 - 12/17/01 08:11 PM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
I keep a fishing logbook. I include info on water levels, temp, date, fish I saw, ect. It helps me remember when the fish (usually steelies) were present in a certain stretch of river and when they weren't. This year, I'm going back to my 98-99 log to see what high water holes fished well. One of the most important and valuable things in my logs are the milage markers for different steelhead lies along river access roads. I can find lots of good spots before first light on rivers I haven't fished in years. My current logbook is a hardback with lined paper about 6" x 9" I found at Fred Meyer. It has a nice watercolor of three trout on the front.

#130858 - 12/17/01 08:31 PM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I've been informally keeping notes for years, but this past year started logging things in an excel spreadsheet. I record the obvious...river level, clarity, weather, terminal tackle, hole, etc. Since I have a lot to learn, I keep notes on things I learn from other anglers and observations from the day. Excel works well for me as I can sort, filter and search by almost any variable I want.

#130859 - 12/17/01 08:47 PM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
i personally don't keep one but if i did i would log every fish caught and on what or what you had the hits on, what others were catching them on, the date and the exact location, also the river conditions.
ex.
1.09-18-01
2.10lb silver
3.6" float 6' leader pink 1/4 once jig tipped with shrimp. had 2 hits fishing a #4 black vibrax. some guy caught a jack on a small pink corkie and eggs drift fishing.
4.under the bridge below the hatchery on the whatever river at the bend casting tword the rocks
5.clear water about 10' down on the sand bar from the bushes
tyler

#130860 - 12/17/01 11:39 PM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
plug puller Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: At FL410
I started a log last year in the beginning of winter run season. I write what hole I fish, what dirft I do, water conditions, CFS, how many fish i saw. ect... I find that it will be very helpful to remember when the run starts and ends and what luck I had. Esspecially to remember all the steelies I have caught. laugh

#130861 - 12/18/01 12:30 AM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
I keep one in my head.......there are a few blanks though. What happened? :p :p

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#130862 - 12/18/01 12:44 AM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
I created a fill in the blanks form in word. I take a few mintutes on the computer after I get back from a trip. I always record date, temp, weather conditions, visability, river height, river flow, river temp, what I did and didn't catch fish on, where I caught fish, where I saw others catch fish and how they were fishing, and to top it off I always print a copy of the USGS river gauge readings with a graph. I 3 hole punch the these pages and keep them in a binder.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it really only takes a few minutes. Since I started this log I have definately noticed some trends. I try to review my log in the morning before I go out to the river. After reviewing the info and looking at the USGS gauge I usually have a good idea of where and how I want to fish before I even get to the river.

Hope this helps...

#130863 - 12/18/01 01:13 AM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
I have kept a log book off and on for a few years now, I use to do it religously for hunting, but haven't kept that one up to well in recent years.
If I would not have written all the stuff down I would have lost alot of because of various snow storms, electrical outages and dog attacks through the years. I find it very useful in trying to figure out were to fish when things are questionable.
Peace Superfly laugh laugh

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#130864 - 12/18/01 01:19 AM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
First Bite Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: OR
STS make a fishing journal that I've been using for several years now. I record all sorts of information that I find helpful from time to time. Over time I can see patterns develop such as the timing of runs and how far up river fish will be after a freshet. I also put in details of friends that fish local rivers and the results they have. If nothing else, it make good reading when the rivers are blown like they are now.

Mark

Nobody makes a tougher jig...PERIOD!

#130865 - 12/18/01 05:22 AM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I've kept a log since I started fishing. It's simple, just jot down the date where you were, your tactic, the fish you caught, river levels, clarity, etc.
Keith laugh

#130866 - 12/18/01 10:56 AM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
fishhead5 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Shelton
Fishing Log

Found this program, I haven't bought it yet. I did just as Keith did. I kept mine on the computer, didn't back it up and I don't have anything now. frown

Fishhead5

It is not illegal to deplete a fishery by management.

They need to limit Democrats to two terms, one in office, and one in prison.

#130867 - 12/18/01 12:10 PM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
Seacat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Duvall, WA

#130868 - 12/18/01 12:34 PM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
Cracker Offline
Smolt

Loc: Kenmore, Wa, USA
I've tried on and off for a few years. I just can't stay motivated to do it. The closest I come is to print out the USGS flow chart from the day I fish and make a few notes on it. This has really helped me learn by water level when to fish a stream and when to stay home.

#130869 - 12/18/01 12:43 PM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
I kept a log in the past for rivers, salmon, etc. Now my web site is my log. I've got archives back 4 years. It was really helpful to refresh my memory (which seems to fail me more often rolleyes ) for the sockeye and silver fishing on lake Washington.
I also briefly printed out the water flow charts - very useful info. I don't get out steelheading as much anymore so I don't keep as good records. One good reason to post fishing reports is it gives you an online journal of yourself and other anglers on particular bodies of water.

#130870 - 12/18/01 01:18 PM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
JohnnyCoho Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Rockport,WA,USA
Fish Hunter,
I keep quite an extensive log on every fish caught during a trip. It goes back quite a ways and has been reviewed by some state officials to actually support a future "Test Fishery" rather than "Test Netting" to determin a run-size.
If you or anyone else is interested in a fishing log from a guides point of view, drop me an e-mail and I'll send you the fishing log form that I use along with a legend for abreviations to use.
All Ya need to do is run off copies of it and Yer good to go.
I've been working for a couple of years now compiling data and entering it all into the computer, and when Ya start doing the math and run statistics on some of the techniques and tackle you use, you may be very suprised on what you find.

"Life is short. Never pass up a hug. Look children in the eye when you talk to them. Bend the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile."

#130871 - 12/18/01 02:59 PM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
Fish Hunter Offline
Fry

Loc: St. Helens, OR
Damn this board is great for this kind of thing. Now can everyone just send me a copy of their fishing logs? wink All kidding aside thanks for all the replys. Lots of useful info. cool
If you have an example you would like to share with me email me at rnjdaly@crpud.net I would love to check it out.

#130872 - 12/18/01 03:10 PM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
Palm Pilots,
(And you dont use these with knee pads or Emus!)
Log em on the water and sync em to your home pc.
Word, Excel or outlook. That way theres 2 data bases that are both up to date within a couple days.

Bob D

#130873 - 12/18/01 03:26 PM Re: Fishing Logs...who keeps them and how?
dangerous dave Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Orchard, WA
Palm Pilots are the ticket. Got one issued to me last year. I keep track of what type fish, how much it weighed, where caught, what gear I was using and weather conditions. I also keep a boat log which is great for oil changes and othe maint. As said in some of the other replies you can download all the information from the Palm to your PC and have copies kept two places...Works well for me...Hopefully I'll make an entry tomorrow on the banks of the Elochomen with that nice fat stealy.
Fish-On laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |