Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132181 - 12/30/01 09:12 PM digital camera question
steelheadaddict01 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Kaizer OR, formerly MT and WA
I see that alot of guys on here use digital cameras. I am thinking of getting one. What kind of camera should I be looking at? What kind of things do you look for. What kind of cost?

#132182 - 12/30/01 09:59 PM Re: digital camera question
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
SHA01, I have a Hewlett Packard 315. I paid about $200 for it. It was an in-the-bag-demo. I didn't want to pay a whole lot for a camera because I do a lot of boating and the camera was just for pix of fish on the boat. I didn't want to have to worry about loosing a $1000 camera in the drink. Takes great close up pix but far away and digital zoom leave a little to be desired.
You can pay as much as $2000 for the latest-and-greatest or right around $200-300 for a camera that will take a lot of nice close up pix of you and all of the fish you will catch. A camera in the $500 range is considered middle of the road.
My recommendation is go to a store that has a lot of cameras to offer and compare (Circuit City or Best Buy). The more megapixels and bigger the memory card (at least 16MB) the merrier.

Hope this helps. cool

#132183 - 12/30/01 11:40 PM Re: digital camera question
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
This probably isn't what you're going to want to hear. But take it for what it is worth from someone who is in the photographic wholesale business and fishes. Use a quality 35mm camera and a quality scanner (negative or flat bed is fine) for the following reasons:
1. You'll get better image quality in general. (you'll want a poster of that 28 lb Steelie.) This will no doubt cause debate amoung the digital converts, but it is true none the less.
2. Its cheaper. A good 35mm camera and scanner is still less than a comparable digital camera alone.
3.Digital cameras and water don't mix. Some 35mm are water resistant or proof.
4. Digital cameras are battery hogs and it's one more thing to have to keep topped off and plugged in. I have enough to do just to keep my gear in the water and my boat running.
5. Negatives are still more archival. Plus with a scanner you have digital and film storage. Digital is only digital.
6. Fishing, golf and church are analog by nature, best enjoyed sans cell phones, palm pilots and networked computers.

Don't get me wrong, digital is great for many things and it's getting better all the time. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one for general use, but for fishing, the truth is, it is basically OVERBOARD.

Good luck and tight lines.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#132184 - 12/31/01 12:02 AM Re: digital camera question
Metalhead Mojo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Browns Point
i go with the 35mm too...quality is much better than digital for sure, especially with enlargements...but a digital camera will get you by just fine for most shots, and make sure you keep it in a plastic bag when you are wading.

#132185 - 12/31/01 12:35 AM Re: digital camera question
steelheadaddict01 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Kaizer OR, formerly MT and WA
Thanks for the responses. I have considered a scanner in the past. Maybe I will re-visit that option.

#132186 - 12/31/01 12:41 AM Re: digital camera question
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
I don't know much about any camera stuff but I just purchased a Kodak DC5000. It has dust seals and all the function buttons and housing is rubber armor coated. It is touted as being good for outdoor and rugged use. It is not pocket sized but not cumbersome either. It is however a battery chewer. It got decent reviews from consumer reports. 2 megapixels and an electronic idiot like me can take pictures and photoedit them with the included software. Paid $240 but saw them at one online store after I purchased for 199. I think ZD.net has a price gathering service to check before you purchase any one model.

#132187 - 12/31/01 02:05 AM Re: digital camera question
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
I have a Canon Powershot G1 and Canon S800 photo printer and the prints I get from that rival any 35mm print I've ever seen.

#132188 - 12/31/01 02:14 AM Re: digital camera question
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
I agree with mooch. You can't beat a 35mm and a scanner. You always want that original hardcopy print. From that point you can do whatever you like and never have to worry about losing the image and if you do you still have the negatives. I have a $10 35mm and an $80 scanner and i have yet to be dissapointed by the quality of the pictures. I used my mothers fancy digital one day and happen to hook my first king in my new boat. To bad the pictures SUCKED!!! If you know what pixilation is, then expect it in a digital picture if the megapixils are under 3Megs. Do you wanna risk that picture of your trophy fish? Plus digital pictures don't resize or zoom worth a crap. Your clarity or resolution is limited by how much you spend on the camera, but a standard camera is only limited by the film you buy. Remember, you can scan at almost any resolution but a digital picture is set at that resolution for good, no matter how much you doctor the picture. Don't make a mistake.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1061 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |