Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132392 - 12/05/01 01:16 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Ok!!Can I play? I'll put on a Jig for ya.

Never ever tried one. Figured that I never would want to try one. Now, I just gotta figure out how to tie one on the end of my string. Then tie on a strike indicator(I think thats fly talk) Just love to feel them biting the bait. So I'll have one tied on in the morning. I'll post a picture if I can catch one.

1st. time for Steelhead this year. Usually to much of a purist to use an artifical. fp

#132393 - 12/05/01 11:22 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Wow I leave for a few days and all the Cherries come out of the closet eek

I'm so pround of all of you laugh

I'll offer any assistance I can,heck I can even contribute a few of my personal stash of Silent Approach Jigs to the winner as well.......

Wow after this ,Maybe we can have a jig only Floatilla...........Os

#132394 - 12/05/01 11:26 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Bigdog2250 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Stanwood,Wa
OK fellas, Planning to drift Sky tommorow(Thus)with a guy from work.Putting in about 11:00 AM depending on the wind.You'd better get out there!!! The horses have left the gate. :p

#132395 - 12/05/01 06:41 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
I just had to remove the picture so some of the guys on here could sleep at night. Yes, they were hatchery fish. Next time I go out I'll take a picture of a deformed dorsal fin so you can see what a hatchery fish looks like in WA.

Sorry, I was just trying to have a little fun on the Jig stuff but, I guess it can't be done to your liking..

Ok,I had it in my mind to do the Jig thing today but, after making a few casts with the eggs it was just to good for Geo,Geo and fp so we will try the Jigs next time. I'm sure they are gonna produce for me. It would also help if the water would drop a bit.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: fp ]

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: fp ]

#132396 - 12/06/01 12:23 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Spooled Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: tigard,oregon
I know it is legal to keep native steelhead in some Washington streams, I just hate to see it. I hope your law passes soon. frown

#132397 - 12/06/01 12:44 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Fisherdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn, Wa, USA
OK, I'm in. Had a hard time admitting that I'm a JV, but there it is....

Besides, as a father of five, I can really use the free jigs. Explain this one though: How can a guy with 5 kids who look just like him be a virgin?

Can the rest of you contestants do me a favor though? How about if you don't fish for a week or two til I can get out?

I'm not off to a good start. The last guy I asked about jig water thought I was looking for frogs.

Fisherdan

#132398 - 12/06/01 12:58 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

33.5 hours and counting down until Gooose makes his first float & jig drift in worlds snaggiest honey hole. wink RT wish you'd leveled the field by setting this coming saturday as the start date...but I'm dealing with it considering with this rain everthings gonna be blown til then. Sounds like confidence is the key and considering my favorite spot produced 14 hookups in two days last weekend ...well Gooose has confidence big time. Hope all them other voigins are weekend wareriors too!

Gooose laugh

#132399 - 12/06/01 01:11 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Fisherdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn, Wa, USA
Gooooooooooose:

14 hookups in 2 days out of your honey hole???? In my book, that aint no honey hole, that's a full blown gold drift. I think you should be handicapped an extra week.

There went my confidence at winning....

Fisherdan

#132400 - 12/06/01 01:39 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

FisherDan I need to clarify my previous post. There's 3 of us who've been religiously fishing the same little tiny sweet spot...taking turns as there's only room for one guy at a time amongst all the structure eek rolleyes . Just the same we had that many hookups out of the same 20 feet of river. Problem is that landing these fish
is difficult when the river is at normal flow...recent flows are a challenge to people who are realizing they are no longer 17 years old. rolleyes Only 4 of those fish made it to the bank. You've gotta go into the river in the deepest part of the hole(top of your waders lately) and wade(swim) downstream about 30 yards to land the fish. Love the thrill of the hookup and fight but the end game is losing it's allure with every year lately. I'll take days like I've been havin for now.

Gooose rolleyes

#132401 - 12/06/01 05:04 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gooose, if the water isn't too murky in your honey hole and you maybe dab a little scent on the front of the jig head, using a good pattern properly fished, I think you'll be 'gettin jiggy with it' just fine. smile

#132402 - 12/07/01 01:19 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

In light of a more recent thread...WOW! Talk about honesty among brother "Jig Virgins!" Would be to easy to claim this prize if there wasn't an extremely high level of ethics and fair play amongst our small (?) group of rookies.As a weekend warrior Gooose fully expected at least one of the youngsters would sneak out of class to win this. Miscalculated my start time earlier so it's about 30 hours and counting from now. Good luck to all of us JV's!

gooose laugh

#132403 - 12/07/01 01:46 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
JRfishing Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek
I have to confess,Im also a jig virgin for steelies. I am going to be on the shy this weekend with one experianced and 2 first timers. I will spend at least a couple of hours in the morning with (4) jigs in the water. Would love some hints on what colors they should be and how to rigg them. confused confused confused

#132404 - 12/07/01 05:45 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Where the heck is the "Shy" River? And how can you fish with 4 jigs at a time, JRfishing? laugh J/K BTW, JRfishing, there's been a lot of talk on here lately about good colors to use and how to rig them. Either do a search on it or browse through last couple pages of topics. wink

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: Krome Brite ]

#132405 - 12/07/01 05:49 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
Well, I've got all the toys for jig fishing, and I've used them, but I'm ...ah...um...well, like those other guys who fessed up. I'm going to give it another shot in the morning. I doubt I'm going to beat Gooose to the winner's circle, because rumor has it he has them corraled eek With this said, I guess I'm entering the pop the cherry contest. wink

#132406 - 12/07/01 07:14 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
T Dodge Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Good luck to you all. I can't enter the contest, but I'll toss this in for those that are true virgins. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER assume that, when your float goes down, it is a snag. No matter how close you've floated to that log, that root, that rock, or the bank. I guarantee that if you make that assumption, sooner rather than later, when you tighten down to try a gentle tug to dislodge the snag, the snag will tug back, probably explode, and more times than not you lose those fish.

All that is easily said, but surprisingly hard to keep in mind. I float fish a lot and that is still the single most frequent reason I lose fish. It is especially hard to remember when your float is traveling so close to the bank that you are positive you're just hung on the bottom.

Good luck! I will enjoy the reports of your success.

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: T Dodge ]

#132407 - 12/08/01 11:50 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I'll be the first to 'fess up....Gooose's virginity, jig wise, remains intact. Pure as snow I am. Always tomrrow though. wink

Gooose laugh

#132409 - 12/09/01 12:58 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

AuntyM!!! You catch that gorgeous thing all by your lonesome!!! Nice Christmas present!!! You gonna let Santa drive it once in a while?

Gooose laugh

#132411 - 12/09/01 02:34 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
EggsGuy Offline
Parr

Well guys, I was a jig virgin at around 6:00am this morning and at 11:00 I am not.
I hooked and landed a 7lb steelie today on a north sound river.
I was fishing a all white jigwith a cork float about 7 feet above it.

It took me about 2 hours before I hooked into the little scraper.

I now have to conquer my other virginity. laugh

#132412 - 12/09/01 08:03 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
Damn you, EggsGuy! You lying sack of [Bleeeeep!]! Naw, kidding. I believe you. Would be a little more believable if you had a pic of the fish w/jig in it's mouth. Well, congrats to the first place winner I guess. Oh no, wait a sec, you never officially entered! HA HA HA HA HA!!! No matter, gooose probably caught one today anyway. I never went fishin' this weekend cause of my ankle. Next weekend though-booyah! Lookout!

#132413 - 12/09/01 08:12 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
EggsGuy Offline
Parr

Thank you KB, no I wouldn't cheat over a few jigs. Sorry for no pic I was fishing alone. and the fish was released after a short battle.
I don't really like keeping steelhead even if they are hatchery, I have to much meet in freezer.(Deer meet, bear meet and enough smoked and filets of kings and silvers to feed my whole family for a year).
I cant wait to fish with some new jigs, the ones that I have no arent that good of quality.
And hopefully the jigs that I won are good steelhead colors.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1080 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |