Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132436 - 12/12/01 07:01 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is this like a company golf tournament. Or do first liars have a chance. I am in.

#132437 - 12/19/01 05:36 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bringing the jig catching contest back to the top.

We've had too much rain for too long. Now the weather forecasts are for a drying trend coming. And we believe them, RIGHT?!? Well, even if it's only just 'less wet' the rivers are going to come back in sometime in the near future. Steelhead can be caught on jigs in murky water, but they work better when the water clears up some.

We still have prizes for 3rd place (FC Jigs) and 4th place (Os's SA jigs) for the next 2 who posted in this thread to break their jig virginity.

And after that occurs, we'd still like to hear about you other's first experience. smile

RT

#132438 - 12/19/01 09:36 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Net_Boy Offline
Smolt

Loc: Everett,WA,USA
laugh laugh I've finally caught one on a jig! A 7lb summer run buck yesterday on the zipperlip. He hit an orange jig with white tail. Very fun to at last see the jigs work. I've tried them many times. laugh laugh

#132439 - 12/19/01 09:56 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
springer4you2 Offline
Egg

Loc: Hillsboro, Oregon
I confess!!!
I have never caught a Steely on a Jig.
I am heading down to Northeast Oregon This Weekend For 10 Days and Im Taking some Jigs with me. I feel like such a loser for not trying jigs before. I just Have a good feeling about this trip. I will let ya know how it went when I get back.Im so Stoked
Happy Holidays All!!!

Springer4you2

#132440 - 12/19/01 11:41 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Sounds like Ocusa is th 3rd place winner

Come on you Virgins only one spot left......Get Jiggy with it....Os

#132441 - 12/19/01 02:49 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Fishalot Offline
Parr

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I never thought I would catch a Steelhead on jig, however I caught one on the Wilson last week. We drifted and caught fish on divers, plugs and then my good friend takes his rod set up for jig fishing and catches a fish. He tells me go ahead and try it. The same drift same jig, "Bang" down goe's the float, he yell in me ear set the hook so I do stright up just like I have read. Fish on and landed 9# Buck. So can I please have some jigs ?

Fishalot laugh laugh

#132442 - 12/19/01 05:38 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Krome Brite Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washougal, WA
CONGRATS, ocus!

Fishalot, are you serious? If so, CONGRATS to you too! I guess it's RT's or Osprey's (or whoever is giving out the jigs) judgement call again on whether or not you win some jigs, since you are a 'newbie' and didn't previously register in this contest. That's number two. rolleyes I'm still gonna give jigs a serious try even if I don't (or didn't)win this contest. This Friday/weekend most likely. I'll tell about my experience after the big jig orgy this weekend. wink

#132443 - 12/19/01 05:57 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Congrats for 3rd place Matt (ocus)! Just e-mail Mark at firstcastjigs@earthlink.com and claim your prize. I will e-mail him also. Way to go. smile

Fishalot, I see this is your first post on the Piscatorial board. If you read above your post, I re-stated the original intent of the contest, "We still have prizes for 3rd place (FC Jigs) and 4th place (Os's SA jigs) for the next 2 who posted in this thread to break their jig virginity." You hadn't posted in this thread that you were a jig virgin prior to your catch and post, so I would think you must go catch a second one quickly. But as it's Os's prize for 4th place, I'll let him make the call on this if he disagrees. BTW, congrats on your first jig caught steelie. When the rivers drop more they become more productive, and are just fun to fish with. Thanks for sharing your adventure Fishalot. smile

RT

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: RT ]

#132444 - 12/19/01 06:14 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Fishalot....the rules say you must first enter the contest...sorry
No big deal....go get another one wink

I have a collection of Jigs from my own personal collection.So hurry up,because if things clear up on my zipperlip soon,their might not be as many jigs left wink .................Os

#132445 - 12/26/01 02:23 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
osprey,
did those jigs for fourth place go yet? I went 3 for 4 on a little river on the OP Friday, then 2 for 2 on Sat. All on the jigs you recommended earlier this year. Fun stuff seeing that bobber disappear, picking up the rod tip and feeling the chrome torpedo! And yes, I fessed up previously.

#132446 - 12/27/01 11:26 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Congrats....fish4steel,
way to go laugh
Just drop me a line with you're address and I"ll get those Jigs out asap.........Os

#132447 - 12/27/01 12:14 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
bobbersdown Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bellevue Washington
Hi everybody. My name is Tom Jacobs and I am a jig virgin. I have been a jig virgin all my life and until I can recognize my problem and submit to a higher power I will always be a jig virgin. laugh

Sounds too much like twelve step..... no offense meant to anyone in a twelve step program. They work. Hope this one works for me. Let's see, first step tie on a jig, then start fishing. I am headed out on Monday to see if I can join the ranks of the jig majority.

Question - should I be fishing with some pink plastic work on the jig or by itself?

#132448 - 12/28/01 03:43 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Congrats fish4steel!

TJ, jigs work real well all by themselves - especially when the water is clearish. Sometimes they work a little better tipped with a piece of sandshrimp tail or a scented piece or rubber pink worm - especially if the water has some color to it. But I like to use about 3 1/2" of pink worm on a jighead hook to fish it by itself. Use the search feature for this BB to look up a thread called Pink Worm, and other like threads, as well as jig threads to find lots of info on both methods. You'll be glad you did. smile

RT

#132449 - 12/28/01 10:15 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Buzzo Offline
Parr

Loc: Albany, OR
I can't believe this thread is still going on. I posted back at the beginning practically, but have mostly been fishing smaller streams and doing well without jigs.

Drifted the big river Wednesday and proceeded to catch my first jig steelhead on one of Mark's jigs, then caught two more with the same jig. Probably no prize money left, but I was excited about it and thought I would post, anyway. Like any other method it has its applications, but I wouldn't fish it all the time. I hooked all of my fish in doggy water that I normally don't catch anything in. Thanks alot guys, confidence is key. HT

#132450 - 12/28/01 01:23 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Something has changed! I am no longer a jig virgin. It happened on 12/22/01 after what was a 7 and 0 record in favor of the fish, I finally leasrned to set the hook. A 6 lb. steelie broke me in. What fun!

#132451 - 12/29/01 01:46 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good success stories. Way to go! As the peak of the hatchery steelhead season comes upon us in January, and the rivers will likely drop into clearer conditions where jigs do best. Have fun. wink

Hey, another 100th post thread. wink

RT

#132452 - 12/29/01 03:03 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
First time I used a jig was last year. All I had was a pink crappie jig,but it worked. Hooked a fish on the N/fork of the Sky. I said hooked,was to stupid to try and land it. Went out yesterday(12/28/01). About the third of forth cast the jig got hooked up,On a rock I guess. Tried to break it loose and ended up breaking my rod. I called it a day can't afford to break too many rods. I took it to where I bought it and they sent it out. (Teds,in Lynwood). Jim s. cool

#132453 - 01/03/02 11:45 AM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
Net_Boy Offline
Smolt

Loc: Everett,WA,USA
Just wanted to say thanks to Mark at First Cast Jigs for my prize! i got the jigs in the mail yesterday and they appear top notch. The Owner hooks are killer and the patters are really well tied. I like the plated bead too. Can't wait to use them! laugh laugh

Tight lines,
Matt

#132454 - 01/04/02 06:10 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Ok, I went out today and caught a pretty large (15#)Hatchery Steelhead on a Jig. First time I have ever used one. It was fun but I would rather get one driftfishing. Just seems more fun feeling the bite than watching the float.
The area that I was fishing it would have been very tough to get one drifting because of very slight current and float and Jig was the trick.

So, another Jig Virgin got popped today. fp

P.S. WhatdidIwin?

#132455 - 01/04/02 06:34 PM Re: JIG VIRGIN BREAKOUT CONTEST
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
I want a prize!! Every steelhead I've ever caught has been on jigs. Surely that's worth something laugh

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1107 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645292 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |