LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133888 - 01/07/02 02:29 AM chronarch drag?
Curt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn,Wa
I bought a shimano chronach back in early may fished it for springers,summer runs,winter runs,silvers and chums,i've caught over 150 fish on it since i bought it,latley when i've hooked a fish on it,it feels like the drags slipping,the drag works for a second and then it pulses,i've kept the reel clean and mantained it,does anyone know whats wrong with it and what I can do to fix it? you would think for $230 it would last a little longer.Thanks for any help.

FISH ON!!!

#133889 - 01/07/02 02:35 AM Re: chronarch drag?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
It just needs a new drag washer. It is a very cheap (like $.30)and easy fix and it is a problem very very common with Shimano's.

People who fish very very hard go through about a half dozen drag washers a year.

#133890 - 01/07/02 11:20 AM Re: chronarch drag?
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Yeah, that's what I thought I needed when my Chronarch's "drag" started to get sticky. Sent it back to Shimano and had all the bearings replaced, as well as the drag.

Sure, start off by doing some in-house surgery and replace the drag washer. If that fails, don't hesitate to send it back to Shimano for repair.

#133891 - 01/07/02 11:44 AM Re: chronarch drag?
fishhead5 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Shelton
I've got the same problem with mine also. frown

Fishhead5

Do you think it's going to rain????

It is not illegal to deplete a fishery by management.

They need to limit Democrats to two terms, one in office, and one in prison.

#133892 - 01/07/02 04:23 PM Re: chronarch drag?
Curt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

i was kinda thinking it was the drag washer,but now my question is how do i get to the drag washer,i opened the reel removed the spool,then there's two small silver screws i removed,and i couldn't get the reel to come apart,what am i doing wrong?

FISH ON!!!

#133893 - 01/07/02 04:44 PM Re: chronarch drag?
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
Although I don't pay retail for my chronarch's I still pay too much to work on them myself.
Take it to someone who knows what they are doing.
$20 is nothing to pay for knowledge...

I have six chronarch's and change the drag washers every six months...
I also have all my reels cleaned and serviced at the end of every winter season... and Calcutta 400's at the end of every salmon season.. cheap insurance consdiering the $$$$$ we invest in reels.
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

#133894 - 01/07/02 05:46 PM Re: chronarch drag?
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
well beside the problem you have had with it do you like it. i got one for x-mas and the drag is soooo smooth. you fished for springers with it? what line capicty is it.
tyler

#133895 - 01/07/02 06:18 PM Re: chronarch drag?
Curt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

i love it's a great reel,fished 15# perfection on it for springers on the nf lewis,capacity with that heavy of line not much,but you never need more than a hundred yards anyway.

#133896 - 01/07/02 06:21 PM Re: chronarch drag?
Thumper Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Curt --- After 150 salmon and steelhead you are surprised that your drag washers need attention??? Sheesh.....

Please join CCA. After only 18 months total Pacific Northwest membership is over 7,000. We need you!

The walls of death have got to go!

#133897 - 01/07/02 08:07 PM Re: chronarch drag?
Spooled Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: tigard,oregon
Curt, the drag washers in Shimano reels require Shimano Drag Grease. If your drag is "chugging", most likely you just need to re-grease it. As long as you are there, you might as well replace the drag washers with as many fish as you have on them. They are very inexpensive as mentioned above. Right now I believe they are on back order from Shimano though.
You can buy the Shimano Drag Grease for about $5.00 at Ollie Damon's in Portland. In Washington, a Shimano authorized warranty store should sell it. It alone will most likely cure your problem.
The link below will take you through the maintenance steps. For the bearings I use Boeshield which is a lubricant made for Boeing aircraft. It is awesome at preventing water damage and dries to a non dripping form. For the gears, I use grease called Phill Woods Bicycle grease. It too is water proof. Both can be purchased at bicycle shops. Tri-Flow is the next choice if you can't find Boeshield.
http://www.shimanofishing.com/service/lowtips.htm

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Spooled ]

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Spooled ]

#133898 - 01/07/02 09:09 PM Re: chronarch drag?
Curt Offline
Juvenille at Sea

thumper,the only reason i was suprised was that i've caught a lot more fish on my ambassaduer 5501 and never had a problem with the drag,and you would figure with the price tag on the chronarch the drag would outlast the ambassaduer,but now that i know it's just a drag washer it's no big deal,now the only problem is finding one i checked both sportco and auburn sports and marine,they both don't carry them,both said to try the antique angler in sumner.thanks

FISH ON!!!

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: curt ]

#133899 - 01/07/02 09:59 PM Re: chronarch drag?
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
It's a real common thing curt. I've been through 3 chronarchs that Shimano has just replaced for me over the last 6-7 years. Shimano seems to be real good about making things right, especially if you send it to Shimano it's self.
Have also had the same problem your talking about with my Calais. They're the smoothest when you get them but after 100 fish or so they do start to get a little catchy.
Keith laugh

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, 20 Gage), 1435 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |