THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137895 - 01/29/02 08:33 PM Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
elkrun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Time to replace the old waders. Seems I only get about a year and a half on the neoprenes. Need some opinions on what is best. Is Gore-tex really that much tougher? Anyone have the cabelas gore-tex? Cant bring myself to spend the dough on Simms Guidewear. I am hard on waders and looking for durability and of course warmth. I also need wading boots as well. Felt or felt/studs? Any preferences?

#137896 - 01/29/02 08:47 PM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
i think gore-tex is tougher but colder too
my .02

#137897 - 01/29/02 09:03 PM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
Dr Pepper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim, Washington
I've got breathable waders and I think they are really nice. In the winter time I just put long johns and sweatpants on underneath and I'm okay unless I'm standing in the water for a long time. I'd get neoprenes if all I did was fish in the winter. For year round I think breathables are the way to go. The brand I have is "Rafters". The only place I've seen them is at Swains in Port Angeles. I've had them for about 2 years and they are starting to leak finally. I've never tried the studded felt wading boots. Whatever you do don't buy the cheap canvas felt wading boots. I've got some Hodgman Bantam weights ( I think that's what they are called) and they are nice. They costed $50 and it was a way better deal than the $30 canvas kind that wear out really fast.

~ Dr Pepper

http://www.steelheader.net

#137898 - 01/29/02 09:09 PM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Beaverton
I woudl have to second the thought on breathable and neos. I go through a set in about the same time as you and I finally broke down and decided to have a pair of both. I cannot give up the warmth of neoprene for winter fishing and they kinda suck for summer fishing and when you walk alot on those winter days. I dont spend alot of time standing waist deep ion the river, but when you do..............BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

As for shoes, I would say go with the studs, they ROCK! I have a pair of Danners and they are awesome boots (pricey @ $120) but they have lasted far better than ANY of the others. I went to get them resoled at the outlet and they said 4 weeks so I bought another set. I almost never wear my boots that are only felt soled. You will not be disappointed. Word of caution though.....they do begin to jab you in the foot a little if you're doind a ton of walking--worth it for the traction by far!

#137899 - 01/29/02 09:18 PM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
EggsGuy Offline
Parr

Where did you find the danner studed boots for $120? they list at $160.oo

thanks,.
EGG'S

#137900 - 01/29/02 09:44 PM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
Diana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I've had them both and like the breathable guide pants better than the neoprenes. The neos fit too tight if it's really cold out and I wear alot of layers. They remind of why I hated panty hose....not that you'd relate to that, tho one never knows.

The guide pants are great. Hubster got me a pair for Christmas. They fit loose and with a pair of longies under thin pants, they "slip" within the layers so they don't bind up.

Get felts with studs....you can pull a boat load of fat fishermen upstream without a problem and they'll appreciate not having to get out and walk. It will make you the most popular oarsman on the river. laugh

diana

#137901 - 01/29/02 10:52 PM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
The Wader Terrorist speaks...
Do not buy neoprene, first of all. Anyone who says the breathable waders are too cold in the winter has no idea how to properly layer. I wear a pair of Simms fleece-lined long underwear and over that I wear a pair of Simms fleece sweats. I never get cold...on those really cold days though, I have a pair of lined nylon lightweight pants that I wear. Never ever do I get cold.

I stay totally comfortable in the winter and never get too hot in the summer.

Now onto brands...if you want to spend the big bucks get a pair of Simms Guidemodels. They are $375 but very well worth it. I've got almost two years on mine and have had a couple minor intermittent leaks but nothing that has ever brought me to search them out and patch 'em.

If you want to spend less money, you can either go with the Simms Lightweights or the Bailey's Lightweights or Bailey XTH's. I have never seen pair of the Simms Lightsweights come back and they run $199. The Bailey's Lightweights run $199 as well..we've had 2 pairs come back but we've also sold atleast 100 pairs of these buggers. The Bailey's XTH's are a wonderful wader as they are a heavier ply then the Lightweights in the legs and like the Lightweights they have built in gravel guards and a built in wading belt. They run $295. Both Bailey's come complete with a limetime warranty which we will perform over the counter for you. The two pairs that we had come back, we gave brand new waders over the counter no questions asked. You can not beat that!!

#137902 - 01/29/02 11:50 PM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
rc Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia, WA
In researching breathable waders I came across this interesting article about a controversial report which compares the breathability and durability of some of the leading brands: www.flyshop.com/centers/INDUSTRY/10-99GORE/
I'm leaning towards Patagonia breathables because they're such a great company with a "no questions asked" return policy.

Ron

#137903 - 01/30/02 12:00 AM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

2 things to not about that report...it was done 2 and a half years ago (alot has changed in 2 years) and secondly the results do not match personell experience.

I can tell you the Tailwater's are the biggest piece of crap breathable ever sold...hence the reason they went out of business and yet they were rated 2nd highest durability. On the other hand, the Bailey's which I have found to be incredibly durable were given a very low rating. confused

#137904 - 01/30/02 12:49 AM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
slash Offline
Parr

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Go with the breathables! Like Ryan said, if you layer your clothes properly you won't get cold. I would also spend the extra money and get the studded felt bottom shoes. I didn't and wished I had the first time out. Worth the extra cash not to fall on your butt shocked !

#137905 - 01/30/02 01:34 AM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
papafsh Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA.
Breathables at by far the best way to go. I've said this before, I know, but that's the truth. With fleece pants, shirt's and socks cold is not a problem. the best advantage is not feeling like your in a sausage casing. I have two pair of neoprenes, medium size, stored away in a box, anybody wants to buy them e-mail me. cool

#137906 - 01/30/02 01:42 AM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
Loco_Dingo Offline
Parr

Loc: Boise
I have both and use both. Hunting the island of the Snake river looking for ducks and pheasant means a lot of bushwacking that is far too hard on the breathable. Neoprene waders are easy to repair and so cheap that if I really trash a pair it doesn't matter that much. Breathables are great for all the reasons mentioned above and also are much lighter. I've backpacked in the Winds with waders and a lightweight float-tube. Neoprenes would have added a couple more lbs.

#137907 - 01/30/02 01:48 AM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
UltimateFeashKacher Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
I have had Orvis Silver Label (No sweats) for several years. Last 2 years I used for 30 straight days each year in Alaska. $195.00 plus a good warranty (4 years, 1st year 100%, 2nd 75%, 3rd 50%, 4th 25%). No leaks, highly recommend it. In summer time is nice and cool. Winter time I wear a few layers with it.

#137908 - 01/30/02 01:56 AM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
RockLizard Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lakewood, WA
Another vote for breathable's here. The only time I wear neo's anymore is when my breathables have not dried from the previous trip. The only part that ever gets cold for me is the feet, and that happens when I use my neo's as well (think I need a larger boot for layering up).

They can have my eggs when they pry em from cold dead hands

#137909 - 01/30/02 02:15 AM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
There is a Danner outlet in Portland that I bought a pair of studded river grippers last yaer for $108. They are seconds but I can't tell why. I coat the stitching with thinned aqua seal (reccommended by some of my guide friends) and have had no problem with them.

The Orvis Pro-Guide breathables are a tough material. Retail for $265 but can be found for less on the auction sites. I never had any leaks in two years of heavy use in the SW Wash brush and wire piles along the rivers. However, I did fall and tear a hole in the outer layer of the double knee. When I called for advice on repairing the knee they told me to send them back and they promptly put a new pair in the mail for me (they had been put through the paces). Customer service seems good through Orvis on that product. I'd reccommend these waders to anyone.

Watch out for the Patagonia SST breathables. Reports are that they virtually melt when coming in contact with any DEET based product. Ryan might have more info on that.

#137910 - 01/30/02 02:26 AM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Mr. Lizard-
If you are having trouble with your breathables drying trying treating them with Revivex. Revivex brings back the water repleccent in Gore-Tex and other breathable fabrics.
If it very easy to use and your waders will almost surely dry much faster.

CnD-
I have heard similar reports inregards to the SSTs and DEET but I have not heard any detailed reports in regards to the severity of this problem and what Patagonia's customer service does to rectify the problem.

#137911 - 01/30/02 10:50 AM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
rc Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia, WA
Thanks guys for the heads-up about Patagonia SST Breathables not being DEET resistant. I'll check it out and let you know if I find out anything conclusive.

Ron

#137912 - 01/30/02 01:09 PM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Beaverton
EGGS---I would call the Danner outlet store in Portland--that is where you get them for $120.00

The number is (503) 251-1111

just ask if they have your size. They will take your card number and send them to you! smile

#137913 - 01/30/02 02:58 PM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
Rp,
Am I right in guessing you are wearing around $600. in wading gear? eek

#137914 - 01/30/02 03:11 PM Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
I have neoprenes, light weight, waders and in the winter I use hip boots. I don't get in water deeper than my knees. I haven't found that I need to get in any deeper. I can always hit the other bank if I have enough weight on. If I fell down I would still probly still get wet with neoprenes on. So much for waders. Jim S.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
FishTickler, LadyZehe, MADWIZERD
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 357 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63789 Topics
645468 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |