Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151277 - 05/08/02 10:26 AM Wind River?
Sprking31 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Auburn Washington
Any fish in the canyon yet? confused

#151278 - 05/08/02 10:55 AM Re: Wind River?
gorge_fisherman Offline
Alevin

Loc: Hood River
Nope. Too low and clear.

#151279 - 05/14/02 01:36 PM Re: Wind River?
Bounty Hunter Offline
Smolt

Loc: Sadly in Seattle
Anyone fishing the river on foot? OK, that's a dumb question...

Anyone care to share a report?

#151280 - 05/14/02 03:39 PM Re: Wind River?
BillyBob Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Kapowsin, Wa
Was there this weekend. The run is over. Stay home. Don't even bother trying. What? You say there aren't any fish in the hatchery yet? Looks like I got there early. (again) So your guess is as good as mine when the fish start showing up.

As far as the canyon goes, last year was the most disgusting exhibit of maggot infested, trash throwing, fish snagging, rude jerks that I have ever seen on a river. I can't believe there are some people that will just come in and trash such a beautiful area.

#151281 - 05/14/02 04:32 PM Re: Wind River?
gorge_fisherman Offline
Alevin

Loc: Hood River
I am sorry to say it is still not happening. Only 2 fish back to the hatchery http://www.r1.fws.gov/gorgefish/carson/ so far and only 90 through the ladder. May be another mistake by DFW on going to 4 fish limit. There are not any fish yet. They should have waited to see the run return before making that decision.

I agree with the last post about the all the trash. Too bad a bunch of it was on two feet.

#151282 - 05/14/02 10:01 PM Re: Wind River?
Sprking31 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

They are coming, why the hell do you think everyone and their damn uncle is fishing at the mouth? They are coming and are just late. I dont like having a four fish limit either, but with the excess number of fish that WILL COME, you need them to be caught because thats what they are there for. Have faith, everybody is so stupid about it and quit blaming the WDFW, with out them you wouldnt have any fish! I am not directing this all at you gorge fisherman, its just that nobobys every happy with what they got and also blaim the WDFW. mad They will come, its just a matter of time. :p wink

#151283 - 05/15/02 02:17 PM Re: Wind River?
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
Remdrake, Wake up, yes the fish are late, that really does not matter because they are late about every three or four years, I don't know about you , but I have been fishing there probably for many more years than you have and would appreciate it if you tried to keep the insanity off of the board.
Secondly the WDFW has proved to us that they cannot raise spring chinook. Look at the systems where they currently are trying, Lewis, and Kalama.
Look at there success rate, Terrible, what are they getting back to the lewis this year?
Maybe 3000 fish, they suck!!!!! The lewis has the ability to handle far more fish than the wind but the state cannot figure out how to do it.
The Wind Hatchery is run by the FEDERAL Goverment, not the WDFW.
Look at all the federal hatcheries and look at all the springers they get back.
For instance The Yakima System and all its tribs
The Methow, the Entiat, the Icicle,Wells and the list goes on.
All of these rivers get plenty of fish back, Now you need to ask the WDFW why we don't get to fish the entiat or the Methow for there springers when they both have had huge surpluses the last 3 years.
Lets put the effort fourth to open new fisheries for people in those geographic regions instead of telling everyone to run to the wind , Drano or the Yakima.
Nuff Said
Peace and I am out
Superfly laugh

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#151284 - 05/15/02 04:12 PM Re: Wind River?
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Remdrake,
You need to get off your little dicky wind river trip dude. "MOVE ON" to another topic.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#151285 - 05/15/02 05:04 PM Re: Wind River?
Sprking31 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I am sorry for ruffling the feathers a little on that last post. I will keep my mouth shut and just listen from now on. I guess the department doesent have clue about what they are doing and they just make decisions to piss you guys off. I dont always agree with some decisions either but I dont think that they are always to blame. I hope to be a fish bioligist in a few years and yes, I will be hated I guess. I think theres alot of political crap behind some things that are decided on and I dont know what we can do to change that. I just dont think you bash the department because yes, there are people working for them actually are trying to help you guys. I will shut up and just go about my business and hopefully, maybe, I can make a difference somehow someday. Sorry frown

#151286 - 05/15/02 05:49 PM Re: Wind River?
Pmartin Offline
Spawner

I will agree with you that the department bioligist doesent have clue about what they are doing.
I think theres alot of political crap behind some things that are decided on.."

Know wonder we have so many problems...Do all the bioligist go to the same school?

Doesn't.....Biologist.... There's....a lot....

Oh sorry....You go to Western :p :p

Just yankin' your chain laugh

#151287 - 05/16/02 05:21 AM Re: Wind River?
WINGWANG Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: kent
lack of fish = Indians

#151288 - 05/16/02 10:15 AM Re: Wind River?
Duck In The Fog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima Wa. U.S.A.
Wingwang, Lack of fish = commercial netting below Bonneville too. Mostly infact.

#151289 - 05/16/02 04:47 PM Re: Wind River?
jeffhozz Offline
Alevin

Loc: Yakima, washington
Superfly, reading your reply, are you asking why the biologists on the Methow, Entiat, and Yakima Rivers do not move their surplus hatchery eggs to the Lewis River? If so, that can't be done. An endangered run of fish is determined by it's ESU (envirionmentaly signifcant Unit). If you move fish from one esu, say the Yakima, to another, say the Lewis, you are improving the Lewis' runs, but after years of reproduction, you are breeding out the Lewis River genes. So in the long run you are killing the Lewis River fish. To the sportsman that might not mean anything, but to the Environment and the Endangered spercies act, that means everything.
P.S. To all of you. Get off the wdfw's and other agency bios' asses. These are the people trying to make sure your grandchildren have fish.

#151290 - 05/16/02 05:11 PM Re: Wind River?
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
I think the point is that the Federal Hatcheries are getting fantastic returns, wheras the WDF hatcheries are getting crummy returns. Is there something the Feds are doing that the State isn't? Is it brains, money or what?

#151291 - 05/16/02 05:15 PM Re: Wind River?
ramstrong Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Glenside, PA USA
Jeffhozz,

I think you need to go back and read what Joe wrote. He was drawing the comparison to Federal hatcheries vs State Hatcheries. The Feds are getting fish back, the state isn't. Why? Joe want's rivers that are getting the fish back, like the Entiat or the Methow to be opened. Rather than crowding everyone in the wind, klick and drano.

Makes sense to me.

Chicks dig the floppy ears.

ramstrong@hotmail.com

#151292 - 05/17/02 03:38 AM Re: Wind River?
jeffhozz Offline
Alevin

Loc: Yakima, washington
You guys are right, I did miss the point. Sorry for the long winded esa lesson. I don't know what the difference would be in hatchery production, they operate under the same sciences and practices. Maybe it is money. I don't know.
One other point I would like to make, which is probably also besides the point. The Yakima Hatchery in Cle Elum is a tribal run hatchery, not fed (atleast not directly).

#151293 - 05/20/02 02:24 AM Re: Wind River?
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Jeff,
No, you don't want to move the fish from the system or the eggs, I was meaning that there are so many fish there that there should be a sportfishing opportunity on those rivers for us sportsmen,especially the ones that live in those areas and don't get to fish on all those extra fish.
It is sickening. do you realize how much revenue would be brought into those communities with a spring chinook opener? Lots !!!!
It would be great for the people and business if they would open up the rivers with those kind of surpluses.
I just think you miss understood me.
Peace Superfly laugh laugh

360-888-7772

#151294 - 05/20/02 02:29 AM Re: Wind River?
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Jeff,
Tribal = federal, they follow all the same guidlines and criteria, that is why they to are successfull. If you stop by there you will notice all the white guys wearing U.S. Fish and wildlife uniforms and working with the tribe. A great program up there, bringing springers back to the yak where we haven't had em in a long time.
Peace Superfly laugh laugh

360-888-7772

#151295 - 05/20/02 11:17 PM Re: Wind River?
salmonbelly Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kirkland, Wa USA
Superfly, the resurgence of the Yakima began long before that hatchery ever began putting springers out. This is the first year of adult returns to the hatchery program, but last year the run was huge. That's all based on natural spawning. These federal hatcheries -- Icicle, Carson, etc. -- went long years without major springer returns before their current success began some six or seven years ago. I'd love to say the feds are great at raising fish, but I'd bet a lot of it is due to the vagaries of the marine forage base in different areas of the ocean where these fish go.

#151296 - 05/21/02 11:10 AM Re: Wind River?
Bounty Hunter Offline
Smolt

Loc: Sadly in Seattle
OK, OK this thread is getting off topic. My grandma's hatchery is better than your momma's hatchery and all that... :p

Report: I went fishing between the mouth and the falls on Sunday and saw ~6 fish on the bank for 50+ people (7:00 to 5:00). My lone hookup took me around the rock on the far side of the river and broke me off (I think it was a foul hook anyway the way he over-powered me). The snaggers on the West side of the tailout hole had about 3 early and left before the gammies got there. The boat fishing was relatively slow except for the tribal fisherman. Overall there were either few fish up in the river or the ones that were there weren't biting.

Anyone heard/seen anything lately?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
ET, kbrain57, OLYBEAV
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 516 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |