LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151863 - 05/19/02 07:59 PM Umatilla River??
Cruise Control Offline
Fry

Loc: Walla Walla, WA
Okay. I have been fishing the Umatilla River for three years (or i guess i should say this is my 3rd year) and have never even gotten a single touch from a Springer! I've fished anywhere from the mouth, Echo, Reith, to pendleton and nothing. I've mainly tried Roe and Spoons for these guys because i've always done very well with the steelhead doing this.
i live an hour away from the river so i only get to fish it around 7-8 times a year but still i'd think that be enough times to catch one of them. i just want to know why these fish are so mysterious! does anyone have the answer to these "tricksters?" an answer would sure be appreciated because this is a relatively good return year for them and i'm still doing very badly for these guys. Are these fish just moving all the time? is the water too hot? is it too low? any help would be appreciated and i thank anyone who can help very very very much!

#151864 - 05/19/02 08:26 PM Re: Umatilla River??
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
First off, remember springers aren't steelhead although eggs should work well. Typically springers are bottom huggers unless its deeper than 20ft in that case sometimes they will suspend. Try fishing bobbers with your bobber stop set at whatever depth the hole is your fishing, sometimes set deeper so your eggs drag through. Make sure you have good eggs! And don't give up, springers are notorious for not biting all day then hitting anything in the "zone" for an hour or so. Look for rolling fish, usually there is a wad of them there. Did I mention pounding the heck out em till they do bite?

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#151865 - 05/19/02 09:14 PM Re: Umatilla River??
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
We fished at chinamans in Umatilla 2 years back using roe below a float .We started fishing before dawn and were done as the sun came up.I have olny fished the low end (below the dam)after the sun came up it was over. cool cool

#151866 - 05/20/02 01:35 AM Re: Umatilla River??
Glo-A-Bou! Offline
Parr

Loc: Pendleton, Oregon. USA
These fish can be very difficult!!! Secret::: GOOD EGGS and Presentation, presentation, presentation!!!! Get away from holes that are being pounded and your luck will rise.
Gloabou OUT!!!!!!! laugh

#151867 - 05/20/02 11:19 AM Re: Umatilla River??
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
i was over in idaho this past week fishing for springers, and what i caught mine on was a bucktail chartruese jig, no eggs jus scent..its was 17.5 pounds, you may want to try jig and bobber, and stick to deeper holes, say 10 foot or so deep..im gonna try this setup on the fall kings in the nisqually and puyallup rivers, since it works well over there so much, **berkley boy**

#151868 - 05/22/02 04:32 PM Re: Umatilla River??
archerybuff Offline
Egg

Loc: Oregon
Cruise,

The Umatilla is a tricky river to fish. Most of the fish are caught in one of three places, Chinaman's Hole near the mouth, the Cliff's Hole near Barnhart and behind Taco Time in the Town of Pendleton. All of these spots are very popular for both steelhead and spring chinook for good reason, they produce fish! Chinamans puts out the most fish but very crowded. The cliffs near Barnhart is a great place to fish but you will have to be there very early in the morning to secure a spot, particularly on the weekends. Use a bobber and a large cluster of eggs and keep drifting the hole, great spot! Good Luck!!

Larry

#151869 - 05/22/02 09:00 PM Re: Umatilla River??
Glo-A-Bou! Offline
Parr

Loc: Pendleton, Oregon. USA
You forget, the fish you hear about come from those area's. Lots of fish are caught in many other locations. In the other area's people try not to let everyone know anything, otherwise you end up with the Zoo Crew! You also forgot riverside hole, reith, the list is endless. Slow seams = Fish! Taco Time fish rolling this afternoon, life is good!! Glo Out!

#151870 - 05/22/02 09:19 PM Re: Umatilla River??
Fish'n Magician Offline
Parr

Loc: Hillsboro Oregon
I'm coming up this weekend to visit with family and I want to fish up there. I have awesome eggs and know how to catch them, I just dont know where. Is anyone up for fishing this weekend???? If I need to I will drag my sled up and fish the columbia....... Feel free to e-mail me and I will give you my number.Thanks----John

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1417 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |