Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152627 - 05/30/02 09:42 PM Rule Clarification
Old Chum Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA, USA
Can someone help me out here:
In the regulations under Special Rules-Westside Rivers it states in selected areas, i.e. Stillaguamish River, North Fork that "fishing from any floating device prohibited upstream of..." Now does that mean that you can drift the river in a boat, get out of your boat and fish from shore, then keep drifting or does it mean that drifting the river with fishing gear is prohibited? I only ask because last year I got stopped by a Fish and Game Dept. guy and he cited that rule at me. I explained that I wasn't "fishing from a floating device" because it is kind of tricky to flyfish while drifting. I was simply drifting the river to get from one place to another. I noticed the same rule about the Wallace River. I have a pontoon boat so drifting a small river isn't a problem. Comments? Thanks. -Old Chum

#152628 - 05/30/02 11:00 PM Re: Rule Clarification
Gusty Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA. USA
Old Chum,
It has always been my understanding of that rule that you can indeed use a boat to travel within a river that has those guidelines, the only limit being that you cant fish from it.

See you out there,

Gusty

#152629 - 05/31/02 01:04 AM Re: Rule Clarification
centerpin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The Terrace
I agree with Gusty ,we have used a boat on the N.F. and the Pill smile

#152630 - 05/31/02 12:28 PM Re: Rule Clarification
plug puller Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: At FL410
That is the way that I understand it too. The Elwha is like thatand I have seen that many times. If he gave you a ticket he must have bben on a power trip and needed to do give a ticket. As long as you are drifting down and not fishing from you boat you should be ok. If you do get a ticket for some odd reason then take it to court and explain that you shouldn't have gotten that ticket. Tight liines.
Chris laugh

#152631 - 05/31/02 02:19 PM Re: Rule Clarification
Old Chum Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Everett, WA, USA
Thanks. I thought I was probably right but then started to second guess myself. I think the officer on the Stilly was really lookin hard to give a ticket. He wanted to to know where I had parked, why I was "fishing from a floating craft..." After a significant amount of discussion he finally said "well, I guess I'll give you the benefit of the doubt this time" and that really steamed me since I hadn't been doing anything wrong and he implied that he would ticket me in the future if I did the same thing again. Anyway. -Old Chum

#152632 - 05/31/02 03:28 PM Re: Rule Clarification
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Chum, too bad about your experience, however it is nice to hear about some enforcement on the NF.

#152633 - 06/02/02 11:56 AM Re: Rule Clarification
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
My understanding is that you are totally in the right on this. If you are using a pontoon boat, and have fins on, the officer may have some grounds to think you are stretching the rules when out of sight of the road.

The best defense for something like this is to have a copy of the regs with you. You then ask the officer to "help you understand the situation", as you were unable to find any language that indicated that it was illegal to drift to a spot to fish.

By doing this, you establish that, a) you have a copy of and have read the regulations, b) that you will hold the officer to the wording of the regs, and not his interpretation of them, and c) you are open to having your understanding clarified.

This way, even if you get a ticket, you look a lot more like a responsible guy when you get to convincing a judge.

I've met most of the officers around here, and I think they are usually reasonable, when presented with a reasonable case. They just see a lot of bad actors, and I think have reason to assume the worst about a lot of society.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1080 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |