LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152746 - 06/03/02 09:11 AM Steelhead jacks?
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
Did my anuall first of june fishing trip and had a blast.After doing a search on waders here on this sight I broke down and bought some dry pluss two's....Do not know how I suffered throiugh rubber hip waders for so long. smile

Found a 25-30 lb steelhead in a canyon where there should be none. smile

Broke my favorite spoon tosser,She just plain wore out. mad

Shortly after breaking the 10'6 I caught my first fish on a fly! mad

Now to the question at hand.For the first time ever I had to share this section of river with a couple of local guys.They were what alot of the city folks would call redneck crackers,but I resemble that so I stay away from such language.They proudly showed me a pile of fish that if I did not know anybetter would have to say were winter jacks. mad 3 of the five were 18" and milking as they layed there.Full traditional steel spawning colors.Unless there are trout spawning in the spring around here..?I have fished this river section for twenty years and never ran into as many of these as I have this year.I would have to say that if I added these fish to the ones that I caughtlast jan-feb I would say I seen thirty of them.I have heard thought here on this bourd that jacks are indicitave of a healthy run?Would love any facts concerning steelhead jacks!

#152747 - 06/03/02 12:54 PM Re: Steelhead jacks?
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Any chance they could've been sea-run cutthroat? Spring is their spawning time, and the size sounds about right.

#152748 - 06/03/02 04:52 PM Re: Steelhead jacks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Those may also have been those hybrids we spoke of? E-mail with details Bro!

#152749 - 06/04/02 07:11 PM Re: Steelhead jacks?
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

No 4salt they are not cuttys definately steelys smile

check your mail goose.

#152750 - 06/04/02 11:41 PM Re: Steelhead jacks?
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
ltlcleo -

Congrads on the fly caught fish and condolence on the loss of a pet rod.

The native rainbow trout of our rivers are spring spawners with much the same timing of our winter steelhead. In fact I would consider the two (rainbows and steelhead) to part of the same population. With the cool spring (?) much of the spawning has delayed or prolong so it would not be surprising to see more fish in spawning condition then normal for this time of year.

Where the fish of different sizes?; typically the rainbows spawn at age 4 and 14 or 15 inches with the second time spawners being in the 17 or 18 inch range. Any females? Generally I haven't seen or heard of an unusual number of Jacks this year so suspect that the "mystery" fish were indeed resident rainbow trout. Don't know where you were fishing but in recent years a number of streams have had more restrictive regulations (catch and release, selective gear restrictions, etc) which seems to have resulted in more resident rainbows in those rivers. Are there restrictive rules in place in your "canyon" river?

Tight lines
Smalma

#152751 - 06/05/02 12:45 AM Re: Steelhead jacks?
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Smalma,
Thanks for youe reply I was hoping to hear from you.

I took the spoon chucker breaking as a sign from the fish gods,It is fly fishing or bust this summer! wink

I suspect the same thing.These fish were caught on a river with restrictions.The fish I caught on the fly rod was a female and the poachers had a couple also.They were two sizes exactly like you described.Unfortunately the poachers took every thing that they caught. mad These guys were actually fishing in a flat between two canyons that are very dificult to get into.They are steep sided and narrow and fast.There really is not any spawning habitat within these cliffs so the fish,I suspect leave the canyons to spawn in these flats.The ones I saw this winter I believe came out to feed on steelhead and dolly spawn.I also nabbed fifteen dollys in the same spot last winter where I have only caught a couple in twenty years.I have noticed an increase in size for the last three years,so I think you hit the nail on the head.I have caught a few in the past but never have I seen this many.

Thanks for the info I was unsure of resident spring spawners.I was under the impresion that they were fall spawners.This cold spring may have had some thing to do with seeing more of them.

Email me if you are interested in the specifics as to where.

#152752 - 06/05/02 02:01 AM Re: Steelhead jacks?
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
ltlcleo -
No needs for specifics - a fisher needs their "Zippers". The best are those found by individual explorations.

Careful with the long rod - it is additive!!
The "Dollies" are a great fish on the fly; nicely filling the space between steelhead. They take many of the same flies as steelhead including skated dries.

Tight lines
Smalma

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (stonefish, eddie, 20 Gage, 1 invisible), 1069 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645295 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |