Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155250 - 07/16/02 04:07 PM Cooking Fish
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
OK what is the best way to prepare a fish and cook it for someone who does not really love fish.

Yes I hate fish, but I think it is time to try it again. Your taste buds change, as you get older so I am going to give it another try. Plus my Dad loves the crap.

So is there a certain way to prepare it that will give you a less fishy flavor?

Some fish are stronger tasting then others, or at least that is what I have been told. Does steelhead have a strong fishy flavor or more of a subtle one?

If possible I would prefer to BBQ it!!!

#155251 - 07/16/02 04:19 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Beaverton
-half and half mayo and sour cream
-lots of dill,splash of garlic and whatever
spices you like
-hazelnuts ground course

Bake @ 425 for about 15 minutes and then check it (you CANNOT over cook this one)bigger pieces of fish take longer--up to about 25 minutes. I like to put some diagonal spices in the fish so when I can pull out a flake I know it is done. When it is about done, put your over on broil and toast the hazelnuts--one of my absolute favorites!! You can also do this one on the BBQ but still put on broil for the hazelnuts-makes a difference!

PS This used to be one of my best "seduction"
meals when I was single! wink

Crayfin

#155252 - 07/16/02 04:26 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks Crayfin I will give that one a try.

#155253 - 07/16/02 04:32 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Fishslayer75 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Auburn
We must be fishing out of the same boat wink Since I could remember I've been fishing and wouldn't ever eat the catch. For about the last 8 months to a year I've tried a few things on the bbq and have found a way in which I REALLY like it. I'll take my filet and debone it making sure to get to get all the center bones, season to liking ( lemon pepper,garlic,pepper,ect) and then I take some italian or vinegaret salad dressing on put that on top. Wrap in foil and throw on bbg. The big difference in the way I cook it is that after a slow cook on both side for apx 5-8 min each I will turn up the heat, grab a different cut of foil and open up the fish and put it on flesh side down. That will remove the skin so that the gray section can be cooked alittle. Cook on higher heat and flip after a few min. Final step is to open the flesh side and put it down on the grill, slightly brown and serve. No fish taste and no bones. Taste like chicken laugh

#155254 - 07/16/02 04:42 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

fishslayer75

Ok I will try the other half of the fish that way. Seems like everything eventually tastes like chicken. Maybe I should just have chicken wink

#155255 - 07/16/02 04:51 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Leave the skin on. Put the skin side down on foil and cover the meat with a Miracle Whip and Vinegar sauce and BBQ till done.

#155256 - 07/16/02 05:08 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Easy Limits

OK I will try that one also, that will require another fish.

Cool I will tell my wife I need to go fishing in order to get another fish for all the recipies I recieved. laugh

#155257 - 07/16/02 05:15 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
Try black rockfish, or seabass, and surf perch. They have VERY mild flavors and are fun to catch. I have found that bleeding them a soon as landed helps. For a bbq try lemon and onion sices layered on fish. Sprinkle your favorite spices and a little olive oil over top. Wrap in heavy foil. Cook on medium high heat for about four mins per side. Another way would be orange slices instead of lemon. And try favorite spices with good wine, white or red, poured in the foil. YUMMY! For a fried fish, buy a ready made batter mix, replace water with beer and fry according to directions. I am writing a cook book, so I can't give all my recipes away.

#155258 - 07/16/02 05:18 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Oh yes I am going to have to do allot of fishing so I can test all the recipes

#155259 - 07/16/02 05:45 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Hntr1 Offline
Fry

Loc: North
Well if we are talking salmon, my favorite way to cook one is to first get a large plastic container and fill it with one large bottle of teriyaki sauce. then add garlic powder, some sliced onion, and fresh ground black pepper. Place your fillet in the container and place in fridge, let marinade for as long possible(3or more hrs for best flavor). After marinating make yourself a little pan for it by taking a piece of tin foil and putting some sides on it so that the fish will be cooking in the marinade. place on BBQ and cook until you are able to take your spatula and flake off the meat
ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh

#155260 - 07/16/02 05:46 PM Re: Cooking Fish
posh II Offline
Returning Adult

frown Cannot stand the taste of fishskin and I am
referring to salmon only. I never cook the skin side first. Cook that side last and that way you are not cooking the fish in the skinoil and you get a much less fishy taste. The heat drives the flavor of the skinfat upward through the meat. The following is similar to Crayfin's receipe and we never ate salmon til we started using it this way.

Youngs Bay Spring Chinook with Garlic and Aioli
1 cup mayonnaise
2 t. fresh garlic finely minced
2 t. fresh lime juice and zest (don't sub lemon)
1 t. dried dill weed
1 t. tabasco sauce
1 dash white vermouth (have done without)
black pepper to taste...no salt

To SAUTE: heat dry saute pan to medium high.
Paint mixture on all sides of fillet with dark lined side UP in pan.

To BAKE: Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Thickly paint mixture on all sides with dark side "down" on baking sheet. Place sheet in middle of oven.
Bake approximately 14 to 16 minutes.

To GRILL: Using a clean, hot Seasoned grill
(season with oil, sprayed with non stick coating, or wipe with a raw potatoe half) Turn once during cooking while continuing to baste.

COOKING TIME: Cook 8-10 minutes per inch at thickest part of fillet or approx. 4-5 minutes
per side.

This receipe was obtained with SAMPLE from Chef Gary Puetz, The Seafood Steward.

#155261 - 07/16/02 05:49 PM Re: Cooking Fish
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
Instead of bonking your fish,try bleeding them. After you land them, cut a gill. Bleeding them makes them milder tasting IMO and it's less mess when you clean them. It works better when you have a fish box,or you'll have blood in your boat.I think the skin gives them a stronger flavor also. Last but not least...the fresher the fish the less fishy they taste and smell.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#155262 - 07/16/02 06:32 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Excellent and thankyou all.

#155263 - 07/17/02 10:23 AM Re: Cooking Fish
T. Burns Offline
Alevin

Loc: Edmonds, Wa.
I think it would be great if some PETA folks could browse these posts. I'm sure some of them would turn green reading them. Uh, 'green PETA' ....sounds a little like a sandwich. Anyway, great recipes. I'll add them to my collection, as hope you all will.

#155264 - 07/17/02 12:15 PM Re: Cooking Fish
tilla Offline
Parr

Loc: Portland
Take the Salmon and soak it in Yoshidas Gourmet Sauce for a few hours and BBQ. Very simple and very good. I learned this from a guy who cooks for large groups on occasion and doesn't ever have time for anything fancy. He prefers the Copper River Salmon in May. I go nuts when used on fresh Sockeye!
My wife has a recipe that coats the fillets with crushed pecans and mustard and whatever. It comes out sweet, spicey and nutty. Just tested it on a legendary fish hater last month, the gal ate the whole fillet.

#155265 - 07/17/02 12:38 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Hey Yall Watch This Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia....beeyotch
I grill/cook like a champ.

A really big tip on kick ass fish (doesn't matter species too much) is to use thousand island salad dressing instead of mayonaise. A dash of liquid smoke adds a nice distinct taste as well.

Depending on what kind of fish, you could soak the fillets or steaks in milk, overnight, in a covered container in your fridge. This helps remove fishy flavor. If you do the overnight soaking, I suggest doing a one part milk to one part thousand island. You won't be sorry.

I hate eating fish. I am the pickiest fish eater. I have to prepare it, otherwise it won't turn out to be money. laugh Made some killer catfish fillets the other night, and like I said, I do not prefer fish.

thefishinggoddess.com fan club

#155266 - 07/17/02 01:10 PM Re: Cooking Fish
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
My wife has mostly summed up our fish recipes on her web site. A few good ones are missing, but oh well. Feel free to check it out.

http://students.washington.edu/micaela/recipe013.htm

Maybe Rooster will chirp in here, as he does a MEAN halibut with lime juice and fresh silantro. Didn't try his salmon, as I'll always pick halibut over salmon any day!

They key to any good fish is not to over cook it.

#155267 - 07/17/02 01:57 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
We ALWAYS!!!!! ice our catch immediately----- if you left your t-bone unrefrigerated for 8 to 10 hours it might not taste very good either!!

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#155268 - 07/17/02 02:01 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Rooster Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Twin Bridges, Montana
First thing I like to do is get as drunk as I can before even getting the fish out to cook. By then you really dont care who likes or doesnt like your fish. Usually, you would rather just reach for another Colorado Cool Aid instead of eat by then also......
If for some reason you stay sober enough to actually prepare the "fish". (assuming most of your company you dont like) you get out the freezer burned stuff and get rid of it right then and there. Save the good stuff for when you are *trading* it for something.
On a more serious note. I cooked for 10 years n a charter boat in Alaska. People would always ask me to have chicken or steaks on board. We would eat them at the end of the year, as no-one ever got them served to them.
#1 BLEED ALL FISH.
#2 Rinse well before cooking.
#3 Just say NO to ALuminum Foil!!!!!
#4 Just say No to MAYO. You aint fixing hamburgers!!!!!
#5 HALIBUT - fillet your fillet. Thats right. Cut that sucker right down the middle. NO THICKER THAN 3/4".
#6 SALMON/STEELIES (nates only of course) - Big ones, butterfly them. You cant get a fillet to cook even, I dont care if you are Martha Stewart and you didnt inside trade. Little ones, skin them.
#7 OLIVE OIL
#8 Any spices you like. I prefer cajun based stuff.
#9 Simmer up the oil/spices in sauce pan over low heat.
#10 Heat your Grill up HOT.
#11 Clean your grill grates with a scrubber and some of that no stick spray crap.
#12 SEAR that fish. Slap her down and dont touch it for about 3-5 minutes. LID DOWN.
#13 Open her up, flip it over 9(you will now have those nice grill lines like tham fancy restaruants have) Give it another 3-5 minutes (lid up now).
#14 Squirt a bit of LIME juice on there, pop a Colorado CoolAid and ENJOY!!!!
ANyone who doesnt like fish cooked that way will NEVER like fish.

If I was tall, I'd probably be stupid.

#155269 - 07/17/02 02:05 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Rooster your crackin me up

I agree it is hard to cook without a beverage or two or three..... laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
dizzy fisherman
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Excitable Bob, 1 invisible), 575 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |