Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155270 - 07/17/02 02:50 PM Re: Cooking Fish
posh II Offline
Returning Adult

Almost everyone does their halibut in chunks.
Try fingerlings sometime...they cook really quickly and don't sit in the deep fry as long. :p yum..

#155271 - 07/17/02 11:22 PM Re: Cooking Fish
fishin' sparky Offline
Fry

Loc: sultan,wa
Keepin' it simple. Cedar plank on the grill, skin side down. A little bit of johnny's,some garlic salt and sprinkle it with a light coating of brown sugar. Cook until meat flakes. My wife invited some old friends over for dinner who don't care for fish. After I talked them into trying this recipe on a just caught that day steelhead, they cleaned me out! Ate it all and even took home the other fish that I had caught that day to cook it up for their friends.

#155272 - 07/17/02 11:45 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Sullie Offline
Spawner

put the fish in foil and put onions and squeeze lemons on it (u can leave them in there after u squeeze them out if u want), then put garlic and salt and pepper on it. u can put other spices on it if u want. i just usually use those things. cook until smells done or until u think it is done. hope u enjoy!

#155273 - 07/18/02 10:36 AM Re: Cooking Fish
tilla Offline
Parr

Loc: Portland
I have to agree with Sparky about the Cedar Plank. My wife pulled a recipe from Emeril Legasse cookbook this summer and does this cajun cedar plank thing on the BBQ with fresh Steelhead. I can't stop eating the stuff! There is now a small stack of burned boards along side the BBQ.

#155274 - 07/18/02 02:59 PM Re: Cooking Fish
T Dodge Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
My wife usually does not like fish, because it tastes like fish - go figure. But she really likes halibut done the following way. It's just like breaded halibut, but the potato buds are substituted for breading. It is easier to get a crispy crust with the potato flakes and they add a slight taste of chips. Anyway, its quick, easy and not fishy:

Like was said above, slice your fillets down to 3/4 to 1 inch slices. Do this on the diagonal at a sharp angle to come up with reasonably sized slices.

Lay the slices out on a towel, tamp them dry.

Dredge in flower, seasoned with salt and whatever else you like.

Dip in egg, quickly covering both sides.

Dredge in potato buds.

Heat a small amount of oil, enough to cover the bottom of the skillet to about 1/16th to 1/8th inch, the less you can get away with, the better - vegitable, olive, or a mix - on medium low heat.

Cook the halibut. It cooks quickly - don't overcook. Turn when the potato flakes are light golden. Remove when the other side is done the same. Until you get comfortable with the timing, break open a piece you think is done and adjust from there,then time it to your liking.

I serve it with tartar sauce - what a novel concept!

#155275 - 07/18/02 03:18 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Steelymann Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Salmon Creek, WA
I usually use this recipe for first timers and I seen them all come back for seconds! First, BLEED YOUR FISH!!! Second, filet the fish and put on a broiler pan skin side down. Put a little buter olong the center, cover with garlic powder and then COMPLETELY cover with coarse lemon pepper. Broil till done. The pepper forms a crust that can be peeled away or eaten if you like a little kick to your fish. Good eating.

~steelymann~ laugh

#155276 - 07/18/02 03:20 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Steelymann Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Salmon Creek, WA
I usually use this recipe for first timers and I seen them all come back for seconds! First, BLEED YOUR FISH!!! Second, filet the fish and put on a broiler pan skin side down. Put a little buter olong the center, cover with garlic powder and then COMPLETELY cover with coarse lemon pepper. Broil till done. The pepper forms a crust that can be peeled away or eaten if you like a little kick to your fish. Good eating.

~steelymann~ laugh

#155277 - 07/18/02 06:53 PM Re: Cooking Fish
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Bend, WA
Alright, he asked for a good recipe, not an OK recipe wink

I've been doing all my salmon and steelhead this way lately and it kicks the pants off any recipe with dill, mayo, dressing, lemon, and or garlic... Especially if you are not a big fish eater.

Works best done 'cedar plank style', but foil or whatever works fine. Just don't cover the top. Some cedar or other wood chips in the BBQ help alot too.

Mix about a table spoon of butter or olive oil with:
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of maple syrup (real, not ms butterworths or log cabin ...)
1 large teaspoon of molassas (sp?)
A dash of sals and pepper
Heat on the stove top or in the microwave and mix well
(good for about 2 to 3 servering size fillets, so double up if you are serving more than 2 people...)
baste on to the fresh fillet before placing on the HOT BBQ (save half to be basted on after cooking for a while)
Cook until about 80% done (flakey on the outside, still firm and very red\pink in the center)
Baste with remaining glaze
finish off in your oven using your broiler. Watch carefully - you just want to crisp the top a little (or a lot if you like the top more crisp).

This stuff melts in your mouth and is not as rich and fishy tasting as those garlic\lemon\dill\mayo types of recipes...

Give it a shot. You'll like it laugh

#155278 - 07/19/02 12:21 AM Re: Cooking Fish
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Beaverton
Heeeeeeey PP, are you dogging my favorite seduction meal? mad I got GREAT history with that particular dish mister!

Yours does dound pretty good though. Does it work on women who are already "used" to ya?

Crayfin

#155279 - 07/19/02 01:13 AM Re: Cooking Fish
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

I don't need no stinking sedution meal to get women cool (married 6 years, 2 kids, 3rd in the oven - nuf said...)

Actually women do love this. Sweet and sticky - doesn't get much better. There's just something 'un-sexy' about dill and mayo... Oh, and garlic breath isn't going to turn you into a love machine... eek

#155280 - 07/19/02 01:02 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Beaverton
You DA MAN PP. I will have to try that one and see what "comes up" after the meal! laugh

Crayfin

#155281 - 07/19/02 05:37 PM Re: Cooking Fish
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

If you wanna make it a little more exotic, add a table spoon of soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon of ginger to the mix...

#155282 - 07/19/02 06:20 PM Re: Cooking Fish
JacobF Offline
Spawner

Loc: Post Falls, ID
Pepper jelly is the key to great fish (or chicken, or pork, etc.)

Go to www.micks.com and order Mick's Peppouri.

for fish, my favorite flavers are lime, garlic and ginger.

I'll just fry up some fish, season it as much as I want, than just right before it's ready, spoon some pepper jelly on it and spread it around so it soaks into the meat. Mmmmm, good stuff.

#155283 - 07/19/02 10:02 PM Re: Cooking Fish
PhishPhreak Offline
Repeat Spawner

Mmmm. I'm getting hungry for a pepper jelly and spam sandwich. Anyone else? laugh

#155284 - 07/20/02 12:43 AM Re: Cooking Fish
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
I didn't know he had a web site. My favorites are Hot Garlic, Hot Horseradish and who can forget Beyond Buzztail. THAT stuff makes the hair curl. Great in chili. I always have to wait until the Sportsmen Show to buy it. I always lose that damn little order form.

#155285 - 07/21/02 02:08 AM Re: Cooking Fish
G-MAN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: BELLINGHAM / EVERSON
Turkey Fryer! laugh
Ask anyone that was at F4.2 on the Cow. It is Awesome!
I'm not much into salmon or steelhead, but I could eat it this way all the time.

Turkey fryer- Peanut oil hot at 350
Cube the pieces about 1 1/2" each
Dry them and roll in beaten egg
Roll in fine bread crumbs and Jonny's seasoning
Try differant seasonings, cajaun bread crumb mix is awesome also
Deep fry about 2 to 3 mins
Eat the whole thing, skin included, it's crispy.
You will be Impressed! laugh laugh

#155286 - 07/21/02 02:21 AM Re: Cooking Fish
Downriggin Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Marine Area 13
I gotta say...the two most important things: bleeding and and throwing it on the ice. Just as important...skinning the fillet. For some reason, Salmon tastes fishier with the skin on.
My favorite recipe is:

2 cloves of fresh garlic smeared onto to fish
3 or 4 cut butter pats onto fish
salt and pepper to taste
Healthly sprinkle of Johhny's
Wrap in foil and throw it onto the BBQ...

Quick, simple and tasty...give it a go

Downriggin'

Puget Sound Anglers, Gig Harbor Chapter

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 570 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |