Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155815 - 07/23/02 08:52 PM Heads up, Merc. pumps falling off
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
Was fishing the Cowlitz last weekend.Sucked up a couple rocks.No big deal.Raised the motor to make sure everything was kosher.Thats when we saw a shiny new bolt in the pump.Ran the kicker to get us back to the launch.Got home,pulled the impeller off and saw that 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the pump on had worked out and 2 of those were missing.
The long one in front was the only thing left holding the pump on.
Have another friend who's pump did the same thing this spring.His pump fell completely off though.
One motor was less than a year old the other barely over that.These were both 80 at the pump motors with factory stainless impellers.There was no lock tight or anything on the bolts.I heard rumors of one other doing this.
You might want to check your Mercs.Dont know if it affects just the 80s or others or those with stainless impellers or what.
Curious if any of you have had or heard of the same problem.If so I would appreciate hearing about it.

#155816 - 07/24/02 11:17 AM Re: Heads up, Merc. pumps falling off
ReiterRat Offline
Gearhead

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Hey Superfly . Is that why Thor Built puts them on there boats because they suck ?

#155817 - 07/24/02 12:49 PM Re: Heads up, Merc. pumps falling off
Rooster Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Twin Bridges, Montana
Finally Superfly might be right about something.
Yamaha is the ONLY way to go.
However - NO MATTER what type of engine runs your sled, (assuming you have a pump on it) you NEED to check those bolts every now and then. Ideally when it is new (FACTORIES DO NOT DO THIS) back them out and use never-cease on them. Dont use lock tite, as you may actually WANT to take those bolts out to service the wear ring and or impeller. Never-Cease will stop the vibration from backing them out.
Also in Wrangell, AK where the boys do alot of backcountry jet boatin' - they take a peice of 1/4" nylon rope and tie that boot to the lower unit. THat way you CANT lose it. If you have to do a streamnside repair, or the bolts do back out, thats your safety line.
Hope this helps.

If I was tall, I'd probably be stupid.

#155818 - 07/25/02 10:57 AM Re: Heads up, Merc. pumps falling off
tyeeterror Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Humboldt Nation
had the same thing happen to my 1998 mariner 80 jet. two bolts backed out, and one backed out until it hit the impeller. put it back together using aluminum bolt prep, no problems since.

#155819 - 07/25/02 05:13 PM Re: Heads up, Merc. pumps falling off
ReiterRat Offline
Gearhead

If Merc's suck then so do Yamaha's,because Yamaha builds almost all Mercs Four strokes .

Even so the Merc Jet is a two sroke was does that have to do with a Pump falling apart ? Outboard Jets builds all the jets for everyone . Merc ,Honda , Yamaha and you name it , they build it for them .

How come all the big name guides run Mercs ?

If you compare Mercs to Yamahas dollar for dollar they are not less expensive . What does that say for the other brands ? Does that make them cheap as well ?

#155820 - 07/25/02 05:39 PM Re: Heads up, Merc. pumps falling off
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Never seize is not good on S.S. bolts and aluminum housing, causes electrolis problems and will seize the bolt into the housing. Yamaha only makes the lower hp motors. But then again Tohatsu builds the power heads for yamaha.

#155821 - 07/26/02 02:38 PM Re: Heads up, Merc. pumps falling off
ReiterRat Offline
Gearhead

Yamaha builds the 40 through the new 225's and eveything in between in the four stroke .

#155822 - 07/26/02 04:57 PM Re: Heads up, Merc. pumps falling off
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Reiter, were did you get your info? Tohatso builds the small 4 strokes for both Yamaha and merc, Yamaha does not build any 2 strokes for Merc.

#155823 - 07/26/02 08:21 PM Re: Heads up, Merc. pumps falling off
Rooster Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Twin Bridges, Montana
The pump (the bolts backing out specifically) falling off, has nothing to do with what kind of engine its mounted on, like RR says. THe pumps are all the same.
Its just an extremely harsh environment, lots of vibration and force from the h2o.
As far as the never seize and electrolysis, all the pumps I have owned have had sacrificial zinc anodes on them. I guess thats why I have never experienced THAT problem. The dissimilar metals still require some sort of lube/never seize to avoid inevitable corrosion.
I have had about everything else happen that could.
As far as manufacturers of the engines, it changes yearly. Just like in the auto industry (another industry I know just about nothing about), most manufacturers have their hands in everyone elses pockets in one way or another.
You ahve to look at their quality control programs for their finished products. Yamahas is ranked #1 in the industry according to several different surveys. (A couple different mags I read). That could change year to year.
I think that in this day and age, with proper maintenece, any of the outboards should run great for many years. I just have an affliction for Yamahas. In Sitka, there are about 150 to 175 charter boats running the snot out of their engines day in and day out. They ALL run Yo-mamas.
has anyone ever listened to the noise put out by a Yamaha jet vs. a Merc? You need earplugs to run the Mercs. Not sure why, but they are WAY louder.
At any rate, thats my 2 cents.

If I was tall, I'd probably be stupid.

#155824 - 07/26/02 11:51 PM Re: Heads up, Merc. pumps falling off
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
RR, I know of a couple big name guides in Oregon who both run Merc's but say they would run Yamaha's in a heartbeat if they were comparably priced and if there were as many Yamaha shops/mechanics as there are Merc.
I've run both for years in Ak. and if money wasn't an issue, I wouldn't even consider a Merc.
Yamaha is easily the outboard of choice among the Ketchikan and Craig charter fleets.

#155825 - 07/27/02 11:03 AM Re: Heads up, Merc. pumps falling off
Big T Offline
Smolt

Loc: Snohomish
I run a couple of mercs and one OMC, I personally like my omc even though it is a prop, my bud has a newer omc ficht with a pump and loves it, I had my 225 go completely under (boat sunk) and after blowing the water out it ran fine, did'nt cost me a dime to fix! but for the sake of topic I fish all over and every place I go down south (mostly) Yamaha is the choice some of the guys I also respect in the biz say the same, as for me a good motor with a good running record is as good as any , as far me me a check, tighen , lube , flush, my motors every year.

#155826 - 07/27/02 11:17 AM Re: Heads up, Merc. pumps falling off
tyeeterror Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Humboldt Nation
i posted above about aluminum bolt prep, its not the standard never sieze. do not use never seize on aluminum, or you will unscrew you aluminum threads. aluminum bolt prep is made for the dissimular metal problem. any marine dealer has the stuff. its applied just like never sieze.

#155827 - 07/29/02 08:05 PM Re: Heads up, Merc. pumps falling off
ONSTEP Offline
Egg

Loc: USA
TroutMaster,

Hey your info is incorrect. Yamaha and Merc build the 9.9, 15, 25, 75, 90, and 115 together. The jets are built by San Leandro Outboard Jets. If they fall off I would be questioning the dealer who installed the equipment. As far as putting the stainless impellars on 115's I would call wooldridge or stevens and ask about performance results with those motors. I think you'd be suprised how bad they faired.

#155828 - 07/29/02 10:08 PM Re: Heads up, Merc. pumps falling off
ReiterRat Offline
Gearhead

Onstep,

If it is factory jetted, such as a "65 jet or 80 jet", what does it matter if it is installed by Olympic boats or Stevens marine? If it is factory jetted should you not direct those questions to the manufacture?

#155829 - 07/30/02 01:16 AM Re: Heads up, Merc. pumps falling off
ironhead Offline
Parr

Loc: Richland,Wa.
I disagree it does make a differance what is is bolted to! There is a lot of considerations as to thread fit, bolt hole alighnment, alloy of the aluminum ,quality of bolts.balance of the impellor, and of course fit up of the mateing halves. these issues need to be addressed to be assured that the problem is solved .Just some ideas to think about.Hope it leads you in the right direction. good luck

#155830 - 07/30/02 12:24 PM Re: Heads up, Merc. pumps falling off
Grass Hopper Offline
Smolt

Loc: Woodinville,Wa
They have been falling off for years!!!! Check your bolts every once in a while. Its a vibration thing. I have seen more than 3 fall off. Have friends had to be Heli rescued is S.E. Alaska becuase of same.

Oh Well!

#155831 - 07/30/02 05:56 PM Re: Heads up, Merc. pumps falling off
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Onstep, dig deep into your brain and you will find that Tohatsu manufactures the small 4 strokes for both. And yes we all know that outboard jet makes the pumps. Oh I forgot that you have over 20 years in the boat buisness like I do. Get your facts straight.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |