LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156633 - 08/06/02 08:54 PM Queets fish pics.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Went down to the Upper Queets to try for some Steelies or maybe a King to CnR but no luck. Lost one King in the 30 to 35# range that was Chrome. But we did find some other fish to keep things interesting with the lack of the species we were after.

My pink worm spinner strikes agian. We hooked about a dozen of these guys in this size range and one larger one that I lost.

Here are some very nice Queets Dollys.

#156634 - 08/07/02 12:12 AM Re: Queets fish pics.
Fish Jesus Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Sweet! cool

Nice Dollies Rich! smile

FJ...out.

#156635 - 08/07/02 12:17 AM Re: Queets fish pics.
RK43 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Doesn't look like you had any fun at all!! laugh laugh

Good job. Like the pink worm. shocked

#156636 - 08/07/02 04:17 AM Re: Queets fish pics.
Anonymous
Unregistered

We didnt get any under 20 inches. I lost one that I estimate was 28 inches or so and chunky as some of the ones in the pics are. I spotted a pod of em a dozen fish or so and one of em was a monster. Must have been near 10 pounds, One of the Largest Char I have ever seen anywhere It looked to in the neighborhood of 30 inches or so he dwarfed the other ones he was with. I know they were all dollys as I could see the white outlines on their fins and they were sitting in less than 4 feet of water so they wernt hard to see with polorized glasses.

There numbers must be on the rebound as we wernt even trying to catch the buggers, but since they are so pretty we had to take some pics of the ones we got.

These fish have obviously been eating well, with last years big runs of salmon they have lots of smolt and fry to eat to make them so fat.

#156637 - 08/07/02 09:12 AM Re: Queets fish pics.
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
Nice dollys!!!Check your P/M laugh

#156638 - 08/07/02 10:00 AM Re: Queets fish pics.
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Rich G-
In most of Western Washington fish in that size range (20 to 24 inches?) have spawned several times; likely 2 to 4 times. Our native char can be long lived; I estimate that some of the fish in the North Puget Sound region are more than 15 years old and may have spawned as many as 10 times.

Your question about the lack of smaller fish is a good one. The first time spawners are typically less than 20 inches. When a pod of holding fish is first fished on the larger fish seem to be more agressive and are more likely to be caught first. Have notice on my local streams that there are a lower % of first time spawners than normal also. Two factors are likely contributing to this: 1) The protective regulations are resulting in more older fish (higher % of repeats), and 2) 4 and/or 5 years there likely were high flows that limited the survival of the eggs or low summer flows limiting rearing areas for juveniles either of which limit the success of that year class of spawners.

I seem to remember both conditions occurring about that time but don't remember exactly when (must be getting old!). Occassional weak year classes of char are not uncommon and should not be of major concern, especially give the abundance of the larger repeat spawners. Those larger females have several times more eggs than the smaller first time spawners.

Good to see the populations responding to the fishery closures.

Tight lines
Smalma

#156639 - 08/07/02 07:03 PM Re: Queets fish pics.
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
The queets is the only river listed as having a healthy population of native char by the feds.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
dizzy fisherman
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 468 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |