THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#157946 - 08/22/02 10:00 PM Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
A buddy of mine really wants a jet boat. So far he has narrowed his search to a Wooldridge Xtra 2 with a 350 or an Alumaweld Stryker with a sportjet. He has asked me to help, which I could if we were discussing driftboats, however I know little or nothing about sleds. I have searched the archives for Alumaweld Stryker, sportjet and Wooldridge and come up with little info.
Other than water-testing both boats, we are clueless when it come to reliabilty, maitenence, resale and performance.
HELP...
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#157947 - 08/22/02 10:26 PM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
screaminreelron Offline
Smolt

Loc: Roy,Wa
I have a 16' Wooldridge. I won't bad mouth Alumaweld. I can tell you the metal in the Wooldridge is second to none. The biggest benifit with mine is the turned up nose allowing me to fish heavyer water than its 16'. Try fishing out of both with a guide and ask what they think?

#157949 - 08/22/02 11:22 PM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
TheRogue Offline
Fry

Loc: Lafayette, OR
I think your sportjet must be a real lemon, because the 175SJ is generally considered one of the most "bulletproof" 2strokes around.

#157950 - 08/23/02 01:09 AM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
Jett'in Fool Offline
Parr

Loc: Vancouver
Take a drive to Clackamas Oregon and check out the most beautiful boats made cool

#157951 - 08/23/02 10:25 AM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
In the shop 1/4 of the time?? I'd take it to a dealer where they will fix it right the first time , not just by guessing and replacing parts.
The sport jet is a very reliable engine.

#157953 - 08/23/02 12:36 PM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
Grass Hopper Offline
Smolt

Loc: Woodinville,Wa
Nothing wrong with the Alumaweld sportjet. But If you a v-8 jet you should consider a Custom Weld. When I compared them both I found the Custom Weld had taller sides than both companies. And much more floor space due to how the boat is formed. A 20' Custom Weld has the floor space of A 21 foot Alumaweld or Woolridge. Custom Weld also has the walk around design. Placing the motor over 1' forward so you can walk all the way around it for convenience. This puts the boat on plane at 400rpms less and makes the 8 degree steeper bow angle go to work for you on Puget Sound. Go For A Test Ride Before You Buy!
Good Luck!

#157954 - 08/23/02 04:41 PM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

AuntyM, how many certified Merc tech's do they have? Just wondering????????

#157955 - 08/23/02 04:59 PM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
Chrome454 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Drifting Down The Braids Of Sw...
Speak the truth and it gets squashed like a bug!
Kind of funny how that happens. Alumawelds are great boats but as far as buying one from three rivers don't do it check out dougs if you decide to purchase an alumaweld. I wouldn't let three rivers service my lawn mower!!!

#157956 - 08/23/02 05:00 PM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
troller Offline
Spawner

Loc: Renton , WA
I have 22 foot alumaweld formula vee with a outboard bracket and 200 merc prop. and love it. A couple of small problems but nothing major I took it back to three rivers where I purchased it and they took care of me. They were even waiting out by the road when I pulled up they new I was coming in and saw me drive by the highway and new I was coming in. Service has been great their. As far as one boat having more or less room. Alumaweld makes four models stryker,intruder, mirage, formula vee in windshield boats a lot to pick thru and all a little different. Went with the prop because all my fishing is in the lakes or deep rivers. Also they make them in diffent vee's mine is a 18 degree not the best for a jet but great for the puget sound. No motor to walk around so lots of fishing area I am guessing but I think it is about 10 feet by 6 feet inside with 30 inch sides.

#157958 - 08/23/02 05:55 PM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Who is dealer x??????? that would help. Sport Jets are know to get plugged up with sand that is one thing I know, other than that they are just an Outboard power head.

#157959 - 08/23/02 06:23 PM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
BNelson Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Woodinville
Grass Hopper,

Maybe in that post you should make it known that you are a salesman for Doug's, who in turn is a custom weld dealer? Not trying to antagonize you, but your opinion is very much wanted! But, people really need to know that your opinion might be a little one-sided?

Troutmaster (Jim),

We have had always at least one current,certified tech,which we both know is all that is required, right now Jeremy is current on his cert, and you know that he knows his product very well. Dave Lee, as you and I both know, isn't current on his certification, but is one of the most knowledgable jet mechanics around. But, it is a little hard for the owner to service boats while he is running his business. Dave Liddel, is no longer current on his certification, but you and I know Liddel has been doing outboard work for 25 plus years! And is absolutely awesome! I don't know anyone at Mercer, and I am sorry you no longer work here. Matter of fact, I really miss our trout stories! smile So, you NEVER see myself or anyone else here at 3 Rivers, bashing you or where you now work...... So lets keep this clean and talk about the important things. Where the hell are the fishies?

#157960 - 08/23/02 09:10 PM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
DOC45 Offline
Egg

Loc: Seattle Wa
So what do you think about the Extra Plus by Wooldrige?...I was told I could get the 6 foot bottom width, 20 foot length. New to the jet boat forum, I need help!! JTD and I are searching high and low for the best ride, and your thoughts would be helpful. Mostly used for rivers..shallow's, duck hunts and the occasional trip out to the sound. Two green dudes new to the field!! By the way....love the site!!

#157961 - 08/24/02 03:56 PM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
SteelieDan Offline
Fry

Loc: Richland, WA
I absolutely love my 16' Wooldridge Extra Plus. It's a little rough riding in rough water, but getting a longer version with a heavy inboard would probably absorb a lot of that. IMHO, Wooldridge makes one of the finest boats you can buy. Wish I had a bigger one!

#157962 - 08/24/02 06:01 PM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
TJN Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tulalip, Wa
I have run both Wooldridge and Alumaweld sleds...and not just once. If you like to run 4" riffles get a Wooldridge, sit behind the windshield and drive. However, if you love to fish and want a boat that fishes with you... get an Alumaweld.
If the boat does not come with a fish box standard then it was not designed with fishing in mind and it is not a serious fishing boat.
Fish boxes are an option on a Wooldridge..., right?

#157963 - 08/25/02 01:17 AM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
There is an old saying that "You get what you pay for."

In this case it is obvious that Alumaweld has one of the largest advertising budgets in the industry.

Steak or the sizzle folks.

Are you looking to buy a boat or an image.

Any of the $30,000.00 inboards are great for jetting up and down the rivers looking cool but when it comes to fishing a simple open boat with a tiller outboard is hard to beat.

The nice thing is that you can pick up a used one for as little as a couple thousand bucks.

#157964 - 08/25/02 01:30 AM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
Local Offline
Returning Adult

I have owned a 14 ft Wooldridge with a 40hp Yamaha tiller for 12 years, it takes me any place I want to go and turns on a dime. I like the location of the pump, even with the bottom of the transom. I can also troll with the 40hp. I am considering upgrading to an extra plus 18 footer.
I want the extra room,power and a wussie windshield with canvass. As one gets older, cold,rain and wind in the face is not as much fun as it us to be.

#157965 - 08/26/02 03:55 PM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Bnelson, so true, I didnt mean to bash anyone .
And I do miss the stories. Call me and I'll tell you about the 28" bow caught and released on my
Gl4 2 wt. Jim

#157966 - 08/27/02 09:09 PM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
StorminN Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Blyn, WA
Two words, TEST DRIVE.

Go talk to an experienced welder, someone that welds aluminum all the time, learn what good strong welds look like, and then take a long hard look at the quality of the welds, the materials used (under the floorboards) and the craftsmanship on whatever boat you're thinking of buying... it's a big investment, one you should own for years to come... treat it that way.

-N.

#157967 - 08/27/02 10:09 PM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
RK43 Offline
Returning Adult

I have been with my 21 foot Wooldridge Alaskan II for (3) years now. It has a 150 Johnson and kicker. There is more fishing room in this boat than any of the others I have seen. I love it. I have had it through some shallow water riffles that are nothing short of a full butt clinch, and have only brushed the bottom a couple of times.

The inboards and spotjets are not as easy to service as the outboards. Both in the shop and on the river. Try pulling eel grass or rocks out of the grate on a inboard or sportjet. You can't touch them unless you want to go swimming. Yes, I have had rocks stuck in my grate. Brushing a gravel riffle, OK hitting a gravel riffle can do that. Tilt the motor and pry them out. Piece of cake.

There is also much more room in the outboard jet.

The boat and motor are a 1999, I bought used in the spring of 2000. Paid 20,000.

#157968 - 09/08/02 02:25 AM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
JNT Offline
Smolt

Loc: Steilacoom, WA
Dear JTD,

As a die hard Weatherby shootin' , left handed, Ford driving, all around stud....I strongly recommend the new Arima jet sled made entirely by Labor Ready temp help in the beautiful village of Auburn, WA. Rock on Dude!!!!! and I'd tell your flock knockin' buddy Team Arima is kickass drag boat!!!!

Love, JNT

#157969 - 09/09/02 01:04 AM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
silver hilton Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Out there, somewhere
I want to offer some sympathy to AuntyM. Bad dealer support sucks.

I have a North River with a sport jet. When I bought the boat, on the test drive, it ran rough at about 300 rpm. I suggested that maybe the final 24,000 dollars would not be forth coming until it ran smooth. They had some trouble making it run smooth. I suggested that maybe that particular sportjet was not the one I wanted. They pulled the motor, put another brand spanking new one on, and it's run flawlessly for a year to date. The suspicion was carburation problems in the old one. I love the engine I have now, but the other one had some problems to be sure. Maybe there are some quality issues inthe assembly of the SJ. I don't know.

My dealer, factory outlet for North River in Clackamas. Have heard mostly good things about 3 rivers, but haven't dealt with them, myself.

Aunty, sorry to hear of your woes. Sucks to have a bad running boat.

#157971 - 09/09/02 08:37 PM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
DOC45 Offline
Egg

Loc: Seattle Wa
Hey JTN:
Ya hard Weatherby shootin' , left handed, Ford driving, all around stud....
Is it true what I heard....using a carrot for a boat plug, from your lunch?!! I hope your bilge pump was working that day, or did ya have to use an empty beer can again....
Yes, your new Arima jet sled made entirely by Labor Ready temp help in the beautiful village of Auburn does rock....but ya gotta get that trailer jack fixed!!! Having to man handle your trailer after digging potatoes all day will not complement your bad back!! By the way....I talked to the JTD, and he agrees...even at the rate you drink, you will never be able to collect a big enough pile of beer cans to SWAP for an Alumaweld.
Got 2 off Bush point on Friday morning...worked the tide change/rip. NICE!! Ya ready to roll?
Love, DOC45.

#157972 - 09/10/02 12:47 AM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
Wow! Been drinkin' there JNT? Easy there big fella.

I'll have to agree with Doc that you are gonna need alot of beer cans to trade for my old Arima sportjet sled. (It will be missed! frown )

Be careful or we will make you fish all day with a yellow Eagle Claw spinning rod upside-down while wearing a "Fishing and Hunting News " hat in blaze orange, with real foam in the front and mesh in back ( good ventilation is important ) just to get a ride in Doc's new boat. Don't worry you will fit in fine with the rest of the crowd when we drop you off on the first gravel bar with road access. wink
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#157973 - 09/11/02 12:19 AM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
JNT Offline
Smolt

Loc: Steilacoom, WA
DOC & JTD,

Wow! I can't wait to get a free ride to a gravel bar, if it's a bar on the Cowlitz I might get to fish with my UncleDad and my BrotherCousin. When you say I get to fish with an upside down reel, it scares me a bit 'cause I always get mixed up with my reel under my fishin' pole. I wanna try some of the new Vision hooks I hear the are making them out of recycled safety pins that people steal from the Motel 6 and then donate to the company to keep costs down. And how did you know I love them fancy foam front hats? Especially the kind that are blaze orange camo or the new blue woodland urban camo all the kids at the mall are wearing. Geez, guys you sound real knowledgeable about all kinds of stuff. I can't wait to Bass Master hook set on some fish holdin' at Blue crick. Much love

#157974 - 09/11/02 10:38 AM Re: Wooldridge or Alumaweld?
grandpa Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: brier,wa
Boats and motors are like pick up trucks. The owners brag about the decision they made when they purchased a truck or boat. Of course, their choice is the smartest. All trucks and all boats have a problem sooner or later. Some have more problems than others. The key to this is what happens when there is trouble? The service experience will form opinions good or bad much more than the boat itself. I will only say that 3Rivers Marine sells fine boats and they care about their customers. As a sales person I can appreciate a company that really cares for its customers and the guys at 3Rivers do care. For me the customer needs to be king and the price comes second.

....Support the RFA rfawashingtonst.org

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
ET, kbrain57, OLYBEAV
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (I'm Still RichG, Excitable Bob), 547 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |