Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160683 - 09/24/02 04:00 PM 2 or 4 stroke
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
I'm getting ready to replace a 2 stroke 6 hp Merc kicker I had stolen off my boat a couple weeks ago. When getting the estimate for the insurance company I discovered that the difference in price between a 2 and 4 stroke is only a couple hundred bucks. So I've been thinking of getting the 4 stroke.

Any thoughts? Which is prefered by others?

BTW-- mine was stolen in the Graham/Spanaway area. Boat was parked in the driveway with the stern up against the garage door. Stealthy little ****ers. My grandfather used to tell me, "Locks only keep out the honest thieves." Guess he was right.

#160684 - 09/24/02 04:33 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Go with a four stroke.
Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#160685 - 09/24/02 05:08 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Personally think you can go either way. My Yamaha 8 is pretty quite for a 2 stroke and only weighs 59 lbs....which makes it easier on me putting it inside when I done fishing.

#160686 - 09/24/02 05:11 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
4 stroke!

#160687 - 09/24/02 05:33 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
goharley

I was going to email you, but did not see your email. Let me know what your price ranges are, Im in the market for a kicker for my dboat, I am borrowing a buds now, but would like to get a 8-10hrs.

Thanks

Coho

#160688 - 09/24/02 06:32 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Coho,

Olympic Boat Center in Fife quoted me a price of $1500-something for a 4 stroke. I think it was $1300-something for 2 stroke. That's for a 6 horse long shaft.

Of course your mileage may vary depending on number of horsies.

Little Fish,
Good point about the weight factor, but my motor mounts right to my transom. I hate to think I have to take it off every damn time I come home from a long grueling day of fighting behemoth salmonids.

Think I'll start chaining my dog to my boat.... no, don't want to lose my dog, too. Chain my wife there instead..... (just kidding honey smile )

#160689 - 09/24/02 06:59 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

GoHarley,
You're funny. My dog would probably help a thief load the engine in their car (he's a golden). I does kind of suck taking it on and off every time out.
JMS

#160690 - 09/24/02 07:06 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
RiverLiver Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA,
goharley,

Go with a 8 horse Yamaha high thrust, it's real quiet pushes my 20' super vee 5 miles an hour upriver on the Cow! The bonus is power trim and tilt & shifter both at back of throttle grip, oh ya electric start to.

Check out www.3riversmarine.com they are now a Yamaha dealer.

#160691 - 09/24/02 07:20 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
GH,
I ran the boat for a friend of mine this past Friday, He had the exact motor that River Liver is talking about. First time with a Yamaha and I was really impressed, not only with how much power the 8 horse high thrust had (did I mention it was on a 20' North River) and how quiet the motor was but also how fast the power tilt lifted and dropped the motor. The shift and tilt control was real accessable also. I have a 92 9.9 Rude' and if I was to change trolin' motors I would seriously check the Yamaha out.Good luck and tight lines, Jeff laugh laugh

#160692 - 09/24/02 08:48 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

RiverLiver, Jeffhead--

I've heard about that Yamaha high-thruster. But I'm running a 17' Stryker and think that an 8 horse is a wee bit much. Even with the 6'er I was kicking it in and out of gear constantly to maintain a decent drift with the current. Electric start does sound cool, though, but then again one more thing to go wrong. Damn you guys for giving me too many options. laugh

#160693 - 09/25/02 12:29 AM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
spawnout Offline
Spawner

Loc: Satsop
First, congrats on getting your Merc stolen - probably the best thing that could have happened to you because now you can get the insurance company to pay for that new Yamaha wink First thing I noticed about my 4 stoke is that it trolls down way slower than the old 2 stroke Merc I had, so I wouldn't worry about having to power down. But either the 6 or 8 horse Yami will work great for you.

I bolted my motor on, spot welded the nuts to the bolts, locked the motor on the transom and also through a chain that runs through the floor and through my gas tanks. No problems so far.

Not to start another war amongst the dealers, but I got my Yami in Canada for $800 after taxes cheaper than I could find one down here. Yes, I imagine a US dealer wouldn't honor a Canadian warranty, but I have never heard of anyone ever requiring any warranty work on a Yamaha laugh . And I could make a few trips to Canada and still be money ahead if I ever did have a problem. Exchange rate is great at the moment, I'd check it out.

#160694 - 09/25/02 11:59 AM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
baddawg Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett WA
gotta go with the 4 stroke 8hp. I bought a honda 4 stroke in canada for a total of 1550.00 usd. a couple of weeks ago and it is fantastic, idles down real slow ( much slower than my old 2 stroke) quiet, no oil to mix and I installed a fuel switch and T so I can run it staight from my main fuel tank, no more extra kicker tank and I am sure I always have fresh fuel for the kicker. Call Galleon Marine at 604 514 0460 in Langley BC. They sell both Yami and Honda and will save you some serious scratch. Make sure you need a high thrust before you spend the extra cash for one. My 17 Arima Sea Ranger does great with my 8 regular thrust.

#160695 - 09/25/02 12:14 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
kjackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Townend, WA
I run a 6hp Yamaha four on my 17 Stryker. While this will give you the power you'll need in most situations, I would do the 8 hp if I were to get a new kicker. The reason is that because of the stairstepped transom there are times that the prop just isn't deep enough in the water to be effective. I think more power would cure that. Other than that, I love my Yamahas... great mileage, no smoke, and the quiet is very nice.

#160696 - 09/25/02 04:22 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
There are reasons other than just warranty for the Canada motors. You have also not done the dealer in Canada any favor by putting their name here for all to see. Yamaha and Mercury
are both working on stopping this across border sales. You have now only giving Yamaha the proof they need for this. And Yes Yamaha's do need warranty work done, as all motors do sometimes. Support your locale dealers or move to Canada.

#160697 - 09/25/02 04:38 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
I had a 9.9 merc 4 stroke stolen off the back of my North West jet this year. It was parked exactly the same way you described. My home owners insurance paid for it, but they told me that it was a one time claim. If the new one gets stolen also, then I'm on my own. It sucks taking the thing off every time you park the boat, but it sucked even worse taking the trash out in the A.M and seeing the motor gone. Locks can't stop bolt cutters. I still can't believe that I did not hear them. That motor is pretty heavy and it was right against the garage door. Anyway, got a 9.9 Merc to replace it for 1800 bucks out of Oregon. Good luck. I like the 4 stroke because I can run it off my main tank. No hassels with premix and an extra tank etc.

#160698 - 09/25/02 04:41 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

TM,
Supporting local business is good policy especially if you are getting some form of benefit from the relationship that can't be quantified in monetary terms (i.e. advice on engine repairs or fishing related information). However, it seems reasonable from a consumer's standpoint that a local dealer would price match if given the opportunity to compete for the business. In most cases this is sound business practice. When doing my research the local dealers would not match prices I was quoted up North even when asked to do so. Not trying to get into a debate, just my $0.02 worth.
JMS

#160699 - 09/25/02 05:06 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Price match to the canadian $ cant be done, Do hotels in downtown Seattle give the same rates as they do in Vancover? No they dont. As for service advise etc give us a call and we are allways willing to advise you on what you need.
also if you look at our ad on Washingtonlakes.com (king Co page) you will see that we are offering 10% discount on parts when you mention the ad. This is on services performed at our shop. I make my living working on and servicing boats.

#160700 - 09/25/02 05:30 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

I would go 4 stroke , no oil mixing etc. Alittle more maintance than the two stroke though.

#160701 - 09/25/02 05:51 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
baddawg Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett WA
A few thoughts on outboards purchased in Canada. First I have no idea how a manufacturer can stop a dealer from selling a motor to a someone across the border and I don't know why they would try. They could be voiding a sure sale in canada in exchange for a possible sale in the usa of the same motor. Not a very sound buisness practice. As for comparing Seattle and Vancouver hotel prices well the comparison is not valid. One hotel is in Seattle, one in Vancouver. If you wish to stay in Seattle you will need to pay Seattle prices. Here we the same product in 2 places at different prices. It is just a matter of where you wish to purchase the product. If the canada option was not available I would also check into going to Oregon to purchase to avoid the sales tax saving almost 9%. It basically comes down to good ol competition in buisness. Weigh all the pros and cons of each option and make a decision you think is best for you.

#160702 - 09/25/02 06:13 PM Re: 2 or 4 stroke
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Baddog what kind of buisness are you in? Do you buy other items up in Canada? This is to stupid to keep going on. Buy it all up there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1061 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |