LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167709 - 12/05/02 10:35 AM Crabbing in 8.2?
WoodinvilleBill Offline
Parr

Loc: Woodinville, WA
Crabbing has been closed in area 8.2 since September. Does anyone know when crabbing might open?

#167710 - 12/05/02 11:05 AM Re: Crabbing in 8.2?
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
April, if history is a guide eek .

Regards.

Finegrain
Woodinville

Finegrain
Woodinville

#167711 - 12/05/02 11:14 AM Re: Crabbing in 8.2?
salmonbelly Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kirkland, Wa USA
A state biologist told me it'll stay closed until spring, when shells have hardened after the molt. Said sport crabbers got their quota during summer. Not sure about 8-2, but in 8-1 commercial crabbers, tribal and honky, have been out there 7 days per week since two weeks before the sport season opened in June. Sport had 4 day per week season June-September. Seems like some strange mathematics to me...

#167712 - 12/05/02 11:42 AM Re: Crabbing in 8.2?
T. Burns Offline
Alevin

Loc: Edmonds, Wa.
Crabbers working area 8-1 have been raping the north end of the west side of Camano Island for quite awhile now. Hundred of buoys sitting in the water. I really hope there will be some crabs left for the next sport season, five or six months away.......as I recall.

#167713 - 12/05/02 06:55 PM Re: Crabbing in 8.2?
steely Offline
Parr

April USED to be the opening in Everett area. BUT, in recent years, they delay it more and more using "soft shell" as the reason so it's been summer before opening. It's funny how those crabs totally changed their growth patterns since the state started limiting harvests to support their version of the commercial quota system.

Face it, the State has given the crab to the commercials and tribes - and there isn't a thing you can do about it. For some reason people aren't even complaining about it.

And as others pointed out, there are hundreds of commercial buoys out there around Camano and across the jetty area clear to the reservation. They even have pots in the river. I wouldn't be expecting a big opener when they do let the sports back in. I don't see how the crab population can hold up to this kind of commercial pressure. My guess is crabbing is soon to go like the shrimping has.....maybe a weekend or two a year and the rest for the commercials/tribes.

Sorry to be negative but I've watched them play this game for years and the state doesn't help of the sports people. The only thing they want from sports is higher and higher license fees, and I speculate those shellfish fees will be going up soon.

I know a lot of you have children adn you would like them to be able to learn to enjoy these things. That's probably not going to be the case unless you move to Alaska or to another state. Comments I've heard from the younger generation are along the lines of "why bother, you're not going to catch enough to make it worth while" or "why does the State let this happen?". Then they are ready to go play video games or work on the computer.

#167714 - 12/05/02 07:33 PM Re: Crabbing in 8.2?
crwcbtrk Offline
Parr

Loc: everett, wa
Steely,

I have to agree with you on most of what you have said. I too, have been hoping for an opening in the crab season in 8-2, but figured it would be awhile. I haven't checked lately, but area 10 was open. Don't know if I want to be eatin' crab from those waters though. (??)

Were seriously thinking of moving to a different area (Oregon, Idaho, etc.) due to population growth, traffic, recreational costs and changes...
WE want to teach our children how to hunt, fish, crab...basically enjoy being outdoors together as a family without all the junk we see happening here because of population.

It's hard. THis is a nice area, with a fairly temperate climate for the NW. Oregon has some good possibilities. Idaho?...Hmmm, tough to fish and crab in the salt there!

Anyhow! Whatever you do, wherever you go, enjoy it to the fullest and SMILE!

Over N' Out

Matt

#167715 - 12/05/02 09:10 PM Re: Crabbing in 8.2?
RK43 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
I remember an opener a year or two ago that was just after christmas. I think, could have been Thanksgiving. Anyhow, it only lasted about 48 days, and believe it or not, the crabs got soft overnight.

Part that gets me, is a portion of 8-2 is supposed to be off limits to the traety/commercial guys. What the heck is up? beathead beathead We should be good to go!!

#167716 - 12/05/02 09:12 PM Re: Crabbing in 8.2?
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

I hear ya beathead .

I'm selling my boat -- the seasons are getting too short. I'm tired of scrambling around trying to fit into WDFW's convoluted scheduling. The Hood Canal shrimp thing is a 3-ring circus, and it looks like crabbing is headed that way as well.

Regards.

Finegrain
Woodinville

Finegrain
Woodinville

#167717 - 12/06/02 03:17 PM Re: Crabbing in 8.2?
PiperFLA Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bremerton WA, USA
Who the hell needs to go crabbing when you can get it at Fred Meyer for 2.99 a pound!

frown !

#167718 - 12/06/02 07:38 PM Re: Crabbing in 8.2?
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

That price will only last a month or so -- the commercials are in full swing, and have already chewed through 80% of their October-to-October quotas.

Regards.

Finegrain
Woodinville

Finegrain
Woodinville

#167719 - 12/07/02 08:02 PM Re: Crabbing in 8.2?
RK43 Offline
Returning Adult

2.99 a pound is about 5.00 to 6.00 bucks a crab. My kids and I go out and get eighteen crabs.
5.00 to launch 10.00 in gas, and 5.00 for bait. For 20.00 invested I get 100.00 worth of crabs,
when they are on sale that is. To top it all off, I get to spend a couple of quality hours with my kids, and teach them the joy of sharing the bounty, by letting our friends enjoy our success as well. smile cool

#167720 - 12/07/02 08:03 PM Re: Crabbing in 8.2?
RK43 Offline
Returning Adult

2.99 a pound is about 5.00 to 6.00 bucks a crab. My kids and I go out and get eighteen crabs.
5.00 to launch 10.00 in gas, and 5.00 for bait. For 20.00 invested I get 100.00 worth of crabs,
when they are on sale that is. To top it all off, I get to spend a couple of quality hours with my kids, and teach them the joy of sharing the bounty, by letting our friends enjoy our success as well. smile cool

#167721 - 12/08/02 04:17 AM Re: Crabbing in 8.2?
nutnbutlip Offline
Parr

RK43,

You are right on with that. It is a blast pulling crabs in 8-2 when they 'let' us. beer Lots of good memories with family and friends out in the bay there. Cheap too, as mentioned above. Always have wondered about the edibility of them given the proximity to Everett industrial areas.

Nutn

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1343 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |