Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#170475 - 12/29/02 02:12 AM Re: Seattle Times Saturday Dec 28, 02 Section B3
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dont think the problem is compition, (God knows our rivers arnt produceing what they did 50 or 100 years ago even with hatcheries), The problem is interaction between wild fish and Chambers and Skamania stocks. That is what is causing all the problems in my opinion.

#170476 - 12/29/02 02:15 AM Re: Seattle Times Saturday Dec 28, 02 Section B3
Titanium Cranium Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sequim
When I was up fishing the Skeena drainage in BC about 10 years ago I came across a couple of "wild hatcheries". The guy I spoke with just referred to it as a protected area. They trapped wild fish and moved them into a feeder creek off the fish’s main river, right near the mouth of the creek. They constructed an area that had bird netting over it for a couple hundred yards up the creek and grated the creek off so the fish they placed in the creek were forced to spawn there. The guy I spoke with said that when the eggs hatched, the smolt would stay put under the protection of the bird netting until they felt safe enough to make a run for it in the main river. It seems to me this would be a more cost effective solution to enhancing current runs, and it’s enhancing the native runs as well. He said they got very high returns from this method but I must say I've never seen any real evidence, just what the guy working there told me.

Something else, tangential to this discussion I’d like to bring up along the lines of fisheries enhancement. A plan I’ve been discussing for quit a few years with friends and anyone who will listen. Essentially it is a classification system to assist in managing existing resources.

1) Classify all salmon/steelhead-bearing rivers in the state as being an A, B or C river.
2) Classification should be arbitrary, not by size, and different classifications should be in close proximity to one another. In other words you don't take the top third of the state and classify all rivers as A - Rivers, the middle B – Rivers, etc. The different classifications also need to be distributed equally. This will give everyone a chance at an open river in his or her area.
3) A three-year rotation cycle would be implemented by river classification. For example, the first rotation would work like this:
A - Rivers are open to a C&R fishery only, for three years.
B - Rivers are open to all fishing for three years following standard regulations as necessary.
C - Rivers are closed for three years, no fishing at all, including tribal. This would require an incredible amount of cooperation because of current law and tribal fisheries practice. It would require voluntary action on the tribe’s part. I’ve spoken with a member of the Upper Skagit about this and he’s actually open to the idea.
- In the next cycle, three years later, B - Rivers become C&R, C - Rivers are open and A - Rivers are closed. And so on through the next cycle, etc.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bob, Mike Abbott
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 469 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63787 Topics
645459 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |