Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172766 - 02/14/06 03:45 PM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Loc: Duvall
A shooting accident is no big surprise, especially when you get a 65 year old and a 78 year old holding shotguns. computer

What I don't understand is the thrill of killing birds the size of an apple with a shotgun. Wow, what a thrill! What's next, fishing for steelhead fry with a treble barbed spinner?

#172768 - 02/14/06 04:51 PM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

TK couldn't have said it better.

Now the Lawyer has had a heart attack and is back in intensive care.

#172769 - 02/14/06 04:53 PM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Nice try Steve, but you just don't have the hatred and illogic down pat yet. Reminded me of Nixons repeated attempts at oral sex. It seams he just never could get it down Pat. Hey, that's funny. I don't care who ya are!

#172770 - 02/14/06 05:22 PM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks, Stam. We needed that.

I thought it was interesting that Cheney's shotgun was reported as a 28 gage. I've heard of them, but never seen one. Would that be about the same size as a .410?

Snake,

". . . birds the size of an apple . . ."
I always wondered that, too. I'm told they only keep the breasts off quail, and it takes more than a pair from one bird to make a meal for one person. They must be awful good to be such a popular game bird.

#172771 - 02/14/06 05:47 PM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Before Sol gets to this, I want to say that all breasts are good breasts. But I do know Snake really likes the bigguns.

#172772 - 02/14/06 07:11 PM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
KingTroll Offline
Egg

Loc: Right Wing
At least Cheney carried his own gun. You lefties need to get a life. Why can't you all just move to some commie workers paradise and get a life.
A good American would never take issue with a VP, and question what he was doing, besides it was an accident.
I'd rather hunt with Dick, the have my daughter be Clinton's intern.

#172773 - 02/14/06 07:15 PM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

TK: Glad you have you back!!! Why did you change your name?

#172774 - 02/14/06 07:15 PM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
SuckerSnagger Offline
Spawner

Loc: Richland,Washington
A 28 GA is smaller than a 20 GA, larger than a .410.

For dog people, how the bird can be worked with a dog is more important than the bird size. Bob White quail hold well for pointing dogs, maybe the best of all game birds.

For me the greatest bird hunting thrill has been hunting wild roosters in Eastern Washington wetlands with a good flushing Lab.

#172775 - 02/14/06 07:40 PM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
SuckerSnagger Offline
Spawner

The story below explains why Mr. Whittington was in intensive care. The Republicans all agree it was Whittington's fault, stopping to pick up a bird and all.

If the situation had been reversed, Dick Cheney stopping to pick up a bird and Mr. Whittington shooting Cheney in the face and heart, would the Repub spin meisters be saying it was Cheney's
fault?

Hunter Shot by Cheney Has Heart Attack Tue Feb 14, 1:31 PM ET

The 78-year-old lawyer who was shot by Vice President Dick Cheney in a hunting accident has some birdshot lodged in his heart and he had a "minor heart attack," a hospital official said Tuesday.

Peter Banko, the hospital administrator at Christus Spohn Hospital Corpus Christi-Memorial, said Harry Whittington had the heart attack early Tuesday while being evaluated.

He said there was an irregularity in the heartbeat caused by a birdshot pellet, and doctors performed a cardiac catheterization. Whittington expressed a desire to leave the hospital, but Banko said he would probably stay for another week.

Whittington, a prominent Republican attorney from Austin, was accidentally sprayed with shotgun pellets when Cheney was aiming for a quail Saturday.

Whittington had initially been placed in intensive care. He had been moved to a "step-down unit" Monday after doctors decided to leave several birdshot pellets lodged in his skin rather than try to remove them.

A Texas Parks and Wildlife Department report said Whittington was retrieving a downed bird and stepped out of the hunting line he was sharing with Cheney. "Another covey was flushed and Cheney swung on a bird and fired, striking Whittington in the face, neck and chest at approximately 30 yards," the report said.

The wildlife department issued a report Monday that found the main factor contributing to the accident was a "hunter's judgment factor." No other secondary factors were found to have played a role.

#172777 - 02/15/06 12:27 AM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
SuckerSnagger Offline
Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake Pliskin:
A shooting accident is no big surprise, especially when you get a 65 year old and a 78 year old holding shotguns. computer

What I don't understand is the thrill of killing birds the size of an apple with a shotgun. Wow, what a thrill! What's next, fishing for steelhead fry with a treble barbed spinner?

Snake, I've been holding off on replying to this Bull **** till I cooled down. If I had replied right away I would have elaborated in detail on what an ignorant ass hole you are.

Since I'm calm now, I'll merely point out that you know nothing about bird hunting and nothing about older sportsmen. When those subjects come up you would be better off to keep your mouth shut.

#172778 - 02/15/06 01:04 AM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
SuckerSnagger Offline
Spawner

#172779 - 02/15/06 10:28 AM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Loc: Duvall
Hey Suck, if that was a calm response I would have loved to seen the angry one. As I said in my thread, "I don't understand the thrill of killing small birds" which means exactly what I said....I don't understand the thrill about quail hunting. I understand the thrill and sport of duck and pheasant hunting, but not quail. Maybe, it's their size or looks, but I don't get it.

The older person remark was intended as a joke, especially poking fun at my own father. Sorry you didn't get it.

But, it was definitely something you needed to call me a name for, and also to tell me to keep my mouth shut. Thanks.

#172780 - 02/15/06 10:47 AM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
Hoh Humm Offline
Spawner

Loc: Forks
I was raised in Oklahoma,hunting pheasant,bob white quail,doves,ducks,geese an prairie chickens,rabbits,squirrels an white tailed deer.
Not once in all the years of hunting,did I or one of my hunting partners ever have to pull shot out
of ourselves. eek

Edit:It's the shooter's duty to know what he is shooting at and where his companions are. A shooting accident is always the fault of the shooter. Always.

ylwwolf@msn.com

#172781 - 02/15/06 11:03 AM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: seattle wa
the cheney group wasnt hunting in my opinion...thety were just shooting.......

someone else was spoting for covy's of quail while cheney et al were sitting in the truck.....when a covey was spotted they would drive up close and get out of the truck and shoot.... if they were actually activly hunting and flushing birds i doubt this would have happened

i bet they had a bit to drink as well which would really explain why they waited till the next day to get word out......the texas police should be issuing alcohol tests any time there is a hunting accident since they average 89 fatality accidents per year in the state.....

if cheney was ted kenedy- he would have said it was the lakes fault for not declaring where it was before he drove into it killing the woman he was with at chapiquitic... -sp?

#172782 - 02/15/06 12:06 PM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
SuckerSnagger Offline
Spawner

Snake, I did take your comments about older hunters seriously. Please accept my apologies for calling you an ass hole.

Lupo, there's all sorts of stuff coming out about the shooting. I wouldn't be surprised if drinking were a factor in the accident.

Of interest is that GOP lobbyist/ranch owner Armstrong was on the phone with Karl Rove the evening before she contacted the press, describing being blasted at close range with a shotgun as being "peppered" and blaming the victim.

#172783 - 02/15/06 12:08 PM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

That review suggesting Whittington was shot at less than 30 yards will be getting more publicity now that it's revealed some of the shot penetrated his heart and liver. That's a lot of travel for number 8 shot. I would have guessed number 6, but I've never hunted quail. Is number 8 the pellet of choice for quail hunting?

#172784 - 02/15/06 12:47 PM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
SuckerSnagger Offline
Spawner

Salmo, Number 8 is the pellet of choice.

#172785 - 02/15/06 01:55 PM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
Hoh Humm Offline
Spawner

Loc: Forks
Your right lupo,thats called shooting not hunting.
We used to call it skillet shooting.

I hunted with 7 1/2 an 8 shot for quail an doves,
out of a 20ga.or 12ga.

ylwwolf@msn.com

#172786 - 02/15/06 03:27 PM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
SuckerSnagger Offline
Spawner

Yeah Hoh Humm, it's stretching it to call that kind of canned bird shooting "hunting". The last time Cheney made the national news as a "hunter" was when he shot over 70 pen-raised pheasants during a day's "hunt" back east.

It now out that the shooting happened just at sun down, at 5:50 PM, 30 minutes later than was first claimed.

#172787 - 02/15/06 07:40 PM Re: Cheney shoots hunting partner
SuckerSnagger Offline
Spawner

Snake, I reread your post can see how you were just making a joke. I missed it and took it seriously. It really got me going. I'm sorry I went TK on you.
SS

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Excitable Bob, 1 invisible), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645292 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |