Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189215 - 03/04/03 09:43 PM peninsula natives
fishinalot Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: aberdeen wa.
I read with interest in todays seattle p.i. the game departments catch numbers for the bogachiel,quilleute,sol duc, and hoh.These checks were from thurs. thru sun,this past weekend.According to the numbers,more people are keeping wild fish than releasing them.Be it that it is legal,i am still curoius why there is no uproar from you folks about this.The idea of opening the chehalis system had most of you in an uproar.Public flogging type stuff.Are you trying to save us locals from ourselves.I say we save these peninsula rivers also.LEts close them to native fishing to.

#189216 - 03/04/03 10:19 PM Re: peninsula natives
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
You're right fishinalot, it's an outrage, but this has been hashed out recently ... these numbers are not indictitive of the actual percentage released vs. killed because of the checkpoint placement.

Look for smala's thread titled 'confused" to learn a little more smile

Reports look to be about 50-50 from reports from kill areas ... very rarely are C&R areas (about half the watersheds) every sampled so keep that in mind when looking at numbers.

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#189217 - 03/04/03 10:34 PM Re: peninsula natives
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
Well, I hate to say this but.............most of the trash that fish out there do so beacause we let them keep native fish. I here this alot out there too, "well we drove all this way, I gotta take something home." See Fishalot, people who bonk natives (not indians) laugh laugh laugh have very low IQ's, they don't understand the concept of C&R. To think two or three years down the line is WAY out of these peoples leage. Or people have this to say "well............If I don't kill it the indians will attitude", as if killing more fish makes future runs stronger. What gets me most about the Forks area rivers, are the guides, no not you Bob. Fishing is their future, yet they continue to bonk hundreds of fish per season. Idiots I tell you............ eek eek eek Bob what percent of guides do you think bonk native steelhead in forks? I'll say 90-80% bonk fish if clients can legally do so.

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#189218 - 03/04/03 10:54 PM Re: peninsula natives
STIHLHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: W. WA
I don't want to rehash things since this was already discussed. BUT laugh eek it is the clients who want the fish and as long as there is a market for it there will be guides who will cater. Simple econ laugh

#189219 - 03/05/03 02:28 AM Re: peninsula natives
FishDoctor Offline
Spawner

I for one love to fish the coastal rivers.
Do I bonk wild steelhead? hell no!

I have to say that the guides are the major bonkers of wild fish on the solduc, most boats on the river are guides, its 80-90% guides.
They are very sucessful, and do their job well.
I do what I do, release.
They do what they do, bonk.
Wonder why I dont go with guides? confused

The guides in Montana can't believe this mentality of WA guides.
Its a different culture in Forks WA ( Bob Ball is not like the other guides, thanks for that)
" minor vent by the Dr."

#189220 - 03/05/03 02:40 AM Re: peninsula natives
FishDoctor Offline
Spawner

Isnt it more fun to have the fish fight

and be able to fight again.

#189221 - 03/05/03 02:33 PM Re: peninsula natives
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
WELL DONE, FishDoc! beer

#189222 - 03/05/03 04:26 PM Re: peninsula natives
B Gray Offline
Smolt

Loc: Bellingham
Not all guides are like that. I have guided for a long time and have never alowed bonking nates, even if it is legal.
I have never had a shortage of clients because of it. I am kind of a low key guy, I feel no need to show off.
So please don't lump me in with that trash. I feel that most "real" full time guides that make there sole living from guiding feel the same way. Or at least I would hope so.

#189223 - 03/05/03 09:03 PM Re: peninsula natives
$$B-MONEY$$ Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Eastside,Wa
I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, so don't take it like that cool . And I too have done plenty of fishing on the west end, all the bonking and low hole guys is what drove me away. The are also some great guides in forks with morals and an eye for the future too. I just think the bad outway the good in that neck of the woods. But I thank the Forks area rivers for that, it has lead me to greener pastures. laugh laugh beer

Vision Pro Staff
www.visionhooksandtackle.com

#189224 - 03/05/03 09:29 PM Re: peninsula natives
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Unfortunately B Gray, not the case out here ... only two of us require release regardless of regs. All others bonk ... I hope to them I don't one day have to say "I told you so!"

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#189225 - 03/05/03 09:51 PM Re: peninsula natives
STIHLHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Wow ... pretty strong statement calling everyone "trash". I am surprized no one has jumped on that. I just noticed it.

I have fished with a guide who lets you keep fish if you want. If you tell him you want to release, he will not even bring a net. So it is the client who decides not the guide.

Also since it is a legal business, if all the guides decide to release fish, due to demand (by clients) there will be new guides to provide the service. This YOU can NOT change and it has to do with economics. beathead

#189226 - 03/05/03 10:21 PM Re: peninsula natives
STIHLHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

I want to make a clarification. I am not taking away anything from Bob and the other guide(s) who release fish. It is a great idea and they have the best intentions. If you want a native release you need to:

1- Educate people as to why it is necessary. VERY important.
2- Make it a law.
3- Enforce it.

In that order. Any other method will NOT work. Calling guides or people who legally keep a fish "trash" or ... will only divides us. beer

#189227 - 03/05/03 10:44 PM Re: peninsula natives
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Until you can agree as sportsmen to release all wild fish on your rivers and make that the law... You have no hope of lobbie to eliminate gill nets in said rivers. As long as killing wild steelhead is O.K, the manner in which they are killed will not matter.. Its will only be the total kill and escapement that will be looked at. If your willing to take none.. they probably would not be able to take "half" + or + a lot

Man, I just can't seem to help myself on this issue.. I get caught every time.. Its like a mag wiggle wart right in my face

#189228 - 03/05/03 10:53 PM Re: peninsula natives
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Amen B-Run!!! We will NEVER see even a reduction in the netting until sporties take the initiative! Something for some out there to chew on!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#189229 - 03/06/03 11:44 PM Re: peninsula natives
A-MAN Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: lynnwood
b-money PETA is looking for new people.

#189230 - 03/07/03 12:51 AM Re: peninsula natives
Plunker Offline
Spawner

Loc: Skagit Valley
Yup! PETA wants to do away with the meat-eating "trash" with the "very low IQ's" that have been supporting farms.

Maybe if they recruit steelnerves-darin he can just pop a cap on them and solve the whole problem.
flog laugh laugh laugh

#189231 - 03/07/03 01:36 AM Re: peninsula natives
DarinB Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville
Yea! Let me at um! wink beer

"There are two sides to every coin, but yet in still they are the same"
"Courtesy and deference are the oil of society. Be yourself since anonymity breeds obnoxiousness."

#189232 - 03/07/03 09:59 AM Re: peninsula natives
gsiegel Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Graham
PETA?

Its not a "bunny/tree hugger" sentiment at work here, folks!

I advocate wild release for the simple fact that we need more fish living to spawn. Hell yes, I would choose to eat some if the world were a perfect place and there were plenty to go around. But that just ain't the sitchewashun here-abouts! And I'm hardly a new fisher (fact is I just bought a compewter). Seen it happen with my own eyes. Been releasing since the 80's. Wild fish provide more for us in the water alive than dead in the back of a pickup.

C&R regs have only been passed after wild populations have basically crashed! I would hate to see what the would have been like today if all steelhead fishermen had continued to harvest wild steelhead.

"I'll trade you a hamburger today for two hamburgers tomorrow"!

GS

"I fish, therefore someone else must tend the cooler!"

#189233 - 03/07/03 11:11 AM Re: peninsula natives
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
B-Money part of PETA now thats some funny stuff right there laugh laugh :p beathead

Tight lines

Kevin

#189234 - 03/07/03 07:37 PM Re: peninsula natives
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Bob
If I ever get the chance to book a trip out there I will book it with you because of your mandatory c&r policy. Could not agree with you more, can't believe more guides don't mandate that.

Plus you have a cool web site. laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Tug 3), 1102 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |