THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190797 - 03/18/03 09:48 PM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
There are a lot more countries in this world than sit on the U.N. council.There are way more than 3 that support us.If they arent in the U.N. does that mean that what they say and their support for us doesnt count.Most people seem to think that if you dont sit in the U.N. you dont count.Why is this? They are just as much a country as the others.
Also G.W.B. went to the U.N because Colin Powell worked very hard to pursuade him to.It was not something he wanted to do.That backfired and you can see the change in Powells initiative now.I think it was time for him to get on board or be an outcast in the administration.
If Bush would of went in and attacked right away I would bet money that the outcry would be far less.

#190798 - 03/18/03 10:11 PM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by HntnFsh:
There are a lot more countries in this world than sit on the U.N. council.There are way more than 3 that support us.If they arent in the U.N. does that mean that what they say and their support for us doesnt count.Most people seem to think that if you dont sit in the U.N. you dont count.Why is this? They are just as much a country as the others.
Also G.W.B. went to the U.N because Colin Powell worked very hard to pursuade him to.It was not something he wanted to do.That backfired and you can see the change in Powells initiative now.I think it was time for him to get on board or be an outcast in the administration.
If Bush would of went in and attacked right away I would bet money that the outcry would be far less.
MOST countries in the world are members of the United Nations.

The U.N. Security Council has 5 perminate members and a rotation of 10 others. The big 5 have veto power. He couldn't convince more countries than just France and Russia. Mexico, Camarron, Pakistan... all were on the fence or unsupportive.

Bush went to the UN because that it the protocal when you live in a interdependent globalized world. It wasn't because Powell wanted him to- its how things are done in the 21st century!

#190799 - 03/18/03 10:32 PM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
Twig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Portland
One thing is for certain, George W. Bush was able to do what Osama Bin Laden was unable to do...unite the Islamic world against us.

Congrats GWB...that's quite a legacy!!!

#190800 - 03/18/03 10:41 PM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
Hoghunter Offline
Returning Adult

If we had done the job right twelve years ago none of this would be needed now. I think France forgot all too quickly who saved their butts about 60 years ago. In fact even when they're saying veto their president is saying "we still consider America our friend". Who's butt is he trying to grease. Must be his own.
I say go in kick butt and get it over with. Americans have been damned if they do and damned if they don't in this world for a long time. Everybody wants our money and aid and protection when their butt is on the line and when it's not they all say to hell with us.

#190801 - 03/18/03 10:51 PM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
iamatworkhonest Offline
Parr

Loc: tumH20 wa usa
I want no part of a world government. I will however opt for civility any day. The AntiChrist can wait his turn.

#190802 - 03/18/03 10:52 PM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
Twig

Good point!

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#190803 - 03/19/03 12:34 AM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
umrules Offline
Spawner

Loc: wa., usa
Twig,
I really think you need to do some home work before you put hands to keyboard! First of all, there are a lot more countries than three that are supporting this U.S. led action. In fact even France has climbed back up on the fence so that they might attempt to save a little face when chemical weapons and other weapons of mass destruction are found. And if you really believe that our president has united the Islamic world against the United States, you really need to take a trip to Kuwait, or Saudi Arabia, The United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Oman, Turkey, Bahrain, Pakistan or the New Afghanistan and see how much they are against us. Have you ever had the opportunity to walk walk down a street in one of those countries?? I have, in several of them as a matter of fact, and you'd be amazed at the amount of respect they have for this great country of ours. And it really amazes me that here in our own country I can hear more disdain for our President and they way that we protect freedoms around the world than I ever heard when I was in the middle east. Are our memories so short that we have forgotten what Saddam Hussein has done with these weapons everytime he has had them? Ask the people of Iran, the Kurds, the Kuwaitis or even his own Iraqi citizens.

#190804 - 03/19/03 01:10 AM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
iamatworkhonest Offline
Parr

Loc: tumH20 wa usa
It I am not mistaken, the only people Saddam has attacked so far is other Islamics. So why would they, being the Islamics, be pissed at us.

#190805 - 03/19/03 01:15 AM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
CWUgirl

You are very helpful and provide a very rational and logical look at this issue from a very unique perspective... free of the male, matcho ego. rolleyes Thanks for sharing and it's great to have a female's point of view. Keep it up, you help make this quality board. thumbs

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#190806 - 03/19/03 01:25 AM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
CWU gal --

It's permanent, protocol, "Russians" (cap), gassing!!!!!!!!

B- (grade) laugh

#190807 - 03/19/03 01:47 AM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
herm Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: hermanghardtke@yahoo.com
I am at a loss here.

Is the reason for all of this dialoge and exchange on the part of you CWU and you Twig, because you think we are there to capture the oil fields? Or is it because we want to kill Iraqis, or do you think it's because GWB is a war monger? Or what? Do either or both of you think that Sadam does not have WMD. Do either or both of you think that he does not commit atrocities on the Iraqi people?

What in (your minds) do you think prompted the president to undertake this task.

I'm not questioning your right to say what you want , I'm jus curious about your reasons for your beliefs.

Please don't take this post as a condemnation of your opinions just an attempt on my part to understand your reasoning. I respect your right to it and maybe I could learn something.

confused
herm

#190808 - 03/19/03 01:53 AM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
Originally posted by Periwinkle:
CWU gal --

It's permanent, protocol, "Russians" (cap), gassing!!!!!!!!

B- (grade) laugh
Ya know you're making great points when your spelling comes in to question. Thanks! cool

#190809 - 03/19/03 02:09 AM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
Originally posted by herm:
I am at a loss here.

Is the reason for all of this dialoge and exchange on the part of you CWU and you Twig, because you think we are there to capture the oil fields? Or is it because we want to kill Iraqis, or do you think it's because GWB is a war monger? Or what? Do either or both of you think that Sadam does not have WMD. Do either or both of you think that he does not commit atrocities on the Iraqi people?

What in (your minds) do you think prompted the president to undertake this task.

I'm not questioning your right to say what you want , I'm jus curious about your reasons for your beliefs.

Please don't take this post as a condemnation of your opinions just an attempt on my part to understand your reasoning. I respect your right to it and maybe I could learn something.

confused
herm
Really......I think its all about the economy. Something to take our minds off domestic concerns. We don't need their oil. We don't care about the Iraqi people (IMO). The war is illogical and will increase global terrorism. That is a frightening prospect and something I don't think the Bush administration is giving enough thought to.

He is a ruthless dictator. Is he the worst? Absolutely not. I don't agree with the stance the US should be the lone ranger going in and imposing our will on other nation states.

What I am most worried about is what the result of this conflict is going to be on the US. Increased terrorism? What will our position in world politics be after? This could have very bad long range consequences.

And I'm just not seeing the upside. beathead

#190810 - 03/19/03 02:13 AM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="verdana,arial,helv">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helv">Originally posted by John Lee Hookum:
<strong> CWUgirl

You are very helpful and provide a very rational and logical look at this issue from a very unique perspective... free of the male, matcho ego. rolleyes Thanks for sharing and it's great to have a female's point of view. Keep it up, you help make this quality board. beer smile smile

#190811 - 03/19/03 09:20 AM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
Twig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Quote:
Originally posted by umrules:
Twig,
I really think you need to do some home work before you put hands to keyboard! First of all, there are a lot more countries than three that are supporting this U.S. led action. In fact even France has climbed back up on the fence so that they might attempt to save a little face when chemical weapons and other weapons of mass destruction are found. And if you really believe that our president has united the Islamic world against the United States, you really need to take a trip to Kuwait, or Saudi Arabia, The United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Oman, Turkey, Bahrain, Pakistan or the New Afghanistan and see how much they are against us. Have you ever had the opportunity to walk walk down a street in one of those countries?? I have, in several of them as a matter of fact, and you'd be amazed at the amount of respect they have for this great country of ours. And it really amazes me that here in our own country I can hear more disdain for our President and they way that we protect freedoms around the world than I ever heard when I was in the middle east. Are our memories so short that we have forgotten what Saddam Hussein has done with these weapons everytime he has had them? Ask the people of Iran, the Kurds, the Kuwaitis or even his own Iraqi citizens.
There is a new documentary out entitled "Bolwing for Columbine" you ought to check it out. It just got an academy award for best documentary.

The documentary details the millions (YES, I Said MILLIONS) of innocent people that the U.S. has killed as part of its campaign against various regimes. Sadly, the rulers that the U.S. continually wants to get rid of are the very ones that the U.S. has put in power. Saddam and Osama are two good examples.

We think we had it bad because we lost thousands on 9/11. It was indeed a very sad day. We say "What a tyrant, Saddam has killed thousands, and he kills his own people". This pales in comparison to the attrocities that the U.S. has committed.

What the U.S. doesn't understand is how much and why much the world hates us. They hate us because of the damage we inflict. They hate us because we constantly have double standards. We had the worlds support after 9/11, but we've thrown that support away. Watch the news sometime, I'm not making this stuff up.

Pres. Bush was not even going to seek congressional approval for war, something that the constitution prevents. Finally, he decided that he better play by the rules and asked for approval. Sadly, congress gave approval cart blanche, the same situation occured during the Vietnam era.

Then, Pres. Bush was not going to seek U.N. authorization. Finally he caved and we've had the debate the past couple of months. Eventually however, he's decided to go against the U.N..

Canada and Mexico, two of our closest allies, have turned against the war. Look whats happening in England, top cabinet members are resigning. We simply don't have support.

The Bush' regimes arrogance is what pisses people off within the U.S. and outside of it. Most politicians evolve and GW's stance as though we're at the OK Corral (Ya' better be gone by sundown) just doesn't win support.

It's a sad time...

#190812 - 03/19/03 10:10 AM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
Twig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Quote:
Originally posted by Pmartin:
For those of you that Complain, Never have anything value added and are just generally negative people, I wanted to post this.

This is what a Soldier, Sailor, Airman and Marine believe!!! This is what I believe!! That last line in this should apply to everyone!!! This is also why I believe that we are going to take out the Jackal$$

The Code of Conduct

I am an American fighting in the forces that guard my country and our way of life, I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.

If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.

Should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies.

I will never forget that I am an American fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

To all the Soldier's, Airman, Sailor's and Marines.....

I Salute you!!! Brother's in arms. Do what you were trained, You ARE the best Fighting force in the WORLD!!!

I am behind you, America is behind you!!!

God Speed!

Rob, US ARMY 89-95 (active)
95-01 (IRR)
I don't see that people are negative, that that they're complaining, or that they haven't added anything. You read that in because you disagree. It's ok to disagree.

The debate is also not about giving support to those who are on the front lines, we're all thankful for that.

The questions becomes "should we be at war to begin with, especially at this time?" Should we be asking those on the front lines to give their lives at this time? Just because GW says something is NOT a good argument. People need to think about the issues, look at how the world is responding and not just get the spin from Ari Fleischer...

The question is also not about whether we can take out Saddam. That can be done, but then what will we do? We said we'd help out in Chechnya, but we haven't. We said we'd help out in Afghanistan, but we haven't done much there either. The truth is that the US goes in and blows countries up but doesn't rebuild them like it says it will.

Once again I ask the question, does the US government have a history of telling the truth the its citizens or should we be skeptical? The US is the best nation in the world but I think we can do better.

Uniting the Islamic world will have repercussions that we can't begin to imagine. Look what has happened in Israel, the fighting has been going on for 50 years. We're about to have the same chaos here.

#190813 - 03/19/03 10:13 AM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
Pmartin Offline
Spawner

Of course you don't...

This debate is that apparently all the most knowledgeable and in sighted people in our country right hear!! On this board!! Apparently our country is run by a bunch of uneducated morons completely going on their own personal agenda and who know absolutely nothing!

Pretty much sums up your debate???

You don't think that people read and hear all this crap being spewed? The decisions have been made! It's time to stand behind those decisions. You'll have your chance to change the person who makes those decisions in two years!

A skunk doesn't smell it's own stink....

#190814 - 03/19/03 10:35 AM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
herm Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: hermanghardtke@yahoo.com
confused

So Twig, you have told me what has been done wrong, in your opinion.

So tell me what the answer is( in President Twig's opinion.)

herm

#190815 - 03/19/03 10:45 AM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Let me see.....was the poll not clear enough?

Yet this post goes on and on and on.....with a verbal minority (as in the rest of the country, I might add) continuing to make irritating noises. beathead beathead Shaddap!! Go to sleep now, children. We have to get up early in the morning and go fishing. beer beer

#190816 - 03/19/03 10:54 AM Re: War with Iraq, go or no go?
Twig Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Quote:
Originally posted by herm:
confused

So Twig, you have told me what has been done wrong, in your opinion.

So tell me what the answer is( in President Twig's opinion.)

herm
I think we need to win world support for this cause. I think if we had a good case we could make the point and get that support.

I think that we need to let the inspectors continue their work. Add more inspectors if necessary. The more inspectors that are there, the better chances we have of finding what Saddam is hiding. Part two of that is that we continue to gain more intelligence should we need to go to war.

I think that we need to continue U-2 flights over the area and watch what the Iraqi's are doing. Once again, the more intelligence that we have, the better we'll be at finding the weapons without causing undo casualties.

Lastly, if in fact we determine that Saddam has been hiding or manufacturing weapons then let's take him out. Unfortunately, the Bush administration has been unable to convince the world that Saddam is such a threat.

I don't disagree that Saddam is a bad man, its the method that GW is using that I (and an overwhelming majority of the world) disagree with.

GW isn't the president of the world. I don't believe that it is the position of the US to dictate who gets to run other countries.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
crappieking, steelheadpimpjuice
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1216 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |