Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201814 - 06/22/03 04:09 AM Casting Help
wubjoy Offline
Egg

I have been drift fishing with a spinning real for quite some time and I know I need to switch to a bait caster. Recently I tried to make the switch but had little sucess. The only way I can seem to cast a good distance is with a sort of side arm action wich isn't very accurate. Any casting info would be much

app beer reciated.

#201815 - 06/22/03 06:49 AM Re: Casting Help
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
Why do you think that you need to change to a baitcaster?I thought the same thing at one time too.Everybody else had one.I got one and fought it and fought it.I no longer own a rod with a trigger.I have never had a baitcaster follow mw down the river without suffering from the inevitable backlashes.Line twist on a spinning reel can be just as frustrating.

Baitcasters used to generally have better drag systems,this is no longer true.

The mechanics if a baitcaster is going to last longer than any spinning reel.This is especialy true under heaviar loads.If you are fishing a particular river that requires quite alot of weight to drift fish then I would recommend a baitcaster.They handle the constant heavy load alot longer than a spinning reel.

I have seen some old timers do amazing things with the old dierect drive reels.Ask him how he got so good and he would remember,in his mind,when he wasn't that good.Practice,practice,practice,practice,practice and more practice.There is no substitute.

Baitcaster require a fair amount of weight to function.Go below a certain amount of weight and they are a practice in frustration.Go some where,like a ball field, and make some casts with a couple of ounces of lead.Work your way down from there and you will find that point .Is the amount of lead you still have enough to fish the river you are fishing?Maybe you do not need a baitcaster?

#201816 - 06/22/03 02:53 PM Re: Casting Help
wubjoy Offline
Egg

The reason I want to fish a baitcaster is the ability to keep it on the btm for the whole drift. Spinning reels are tough to achieve this with. Thanks for the advice to practice with lots of weight. I'll give it a try.

Also I was wondering when casting where should the slinky be. At the tip of the rod or a ways down?

Thanks, anymore specific casting info will hopefully help.

beathead

#201817 - 06/22/03 05:09 PM Re: Casting Help
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
If you want to increase your drift,try a spinning reel with the anti-reverse turned off. This way you can "reel" backwards,and continue to let line out,and still be able to set the hook.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#201818 - 06/22/03 07:13 PM Re: Casting Help
Stringer Offline
Parr

I found that the slinkie or pencil lead at the tip is best for more accurate casting. By more distance between rod tip and lead you can cast farther since your arc is larger. It also makes it easier to cast delicate bait by gently swinging or lobbing it out there.

#201819 - 06/22/03 10:23 PM Re: Casting Help
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

After years on the spinning reels I can kind of extend a drift with spoons but not as good as I would be able to do with a baitcaster.Some of these new live bait reels I have seen on OLN have got my attention.

Maybe when you get it figured out you could teach me laugh

#201820 - 06/23/03 12:35 AM Re: Casting Help
soundbite Offline
Parr

Loc: SE AK & Washignton
I know that they are more expensive but I bought a shimano curado, that is much nicer to cast once it is set right my girl friend who has never casted one used it for a couple hours with no back lashes.

#201821 - 06/23/03 02:28 AM Re: Casting Help
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
The key to baitcasters is knowing how to DIAL THEM IN!!! You can get long casts, even with lighter weight. It all depends on the baitcaster you are using, the line, and how you're casting. You have to learn how to load the rod during the cast (like a fly rod) and know when to release.

The key with a baitcaster is to set your spool tension. Usually on the side of the reel. You want to be able to disengage your spool and the lure should literally hand at rest with NO movement of the rod. But, you should be able to tap the rod tip, and the lure should drop and slowly come to a stop just before it hits the ground. If it doesn't budge, you have spool set too tight. If it drops like a rock, you have it set too loose. Most backlashes are caused by a spool that is too loose. You shouldn't have to have your thumb riding the spool during the whole cast. I barely start to tap my spool just before it hits the spot I'm casting lure to. That is the big problem. Of course you'll get backlashes, but VERY rarely. I use mostly old ABU's, and older Bantams. Never had much of a problem getting distance. But never would cast 100 yards either. I've only used a spinning reel for awhile, but never got comfortable using them. I have 201sg's, and they work just like a spinning rod giving out line (when I hit my switch). I run jigs with my baitcasters, boondog, everything (except surfcasting). The true LONG DISTANCE casters are open faced spinning reels, or the alveys. But, I've yet to see guys that need THAT type of DISTANCE steelhead fishing.

They key is in working the spool tension. If I can get distance and control on a 70's vintage 5001c, you can get distance on a newer reel. Now, put my calcutta in my hand, and I can let her fling for miles. LOL

Northwest River Fisherman

#201822 - 06/23/03 03:12 AM Re: Casting Help
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
69er's right. Get the reel adjusted properly. I adjust mine so that the weight will just drop a little bit with the rod held horizontally. Piling on a bunch of weight can lead to more backlashes. Keep your weight and line within the recommended limits of your rod for best handling. Instead of a flicking motion like a spinning setup, use a slower sweeping cast.

#201823 - 06/23/03 07:48 AM Re: Casting Help
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

I used to fish with a guy on the dose when I was a kid that could toss just a glob of eggs,no wieght.He had on old dierect drive abu.

#201824 - 06/23/03 03:44 PM Re: Casting Help
CraigO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lake Stevens
It will just take a lot of pratice to get used to a baitcaster. Eventually your thunb will develop the correct muscle memory. I have used both spinning and baitcasters for years in different situations. I am not going to say one is better than the other, just use what you feel most comfortable with. I do like baitcasters better for drift fishing from the bank. beer

#201825 - 06/24/03 10:13 PM Re: Casting Help
Stringer Offline
Parr

Once your thumb is trained no spool tension is needed. I back the knob on my calcuttas off to the point where it wil just stay on the reel and not fall in the river. A good rod and line with very little memory is pretty important also.When it all starts coming together you will find you can cast farther with less effort and the same weight. Steelheader69 hit the nail on the head. Once you learn to load the rod and release at the right time you won't be casting above or below your target.

#201826 - 06/24/03 11:00 PM Re: Casting Help
stlhdfishn Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: kitsap peninsula
Ive got a 5500 c ambassadeur with a direct drive button installed i like being able to bleed a drift out .have gotten a lot of hook ups that that i don't think would of happened had i not extended my drift. setting up the real is very important as said above also proper maintenance helps another thing i would do if just learning to baitcast would be to practice with both hands casting i did when i started makes thing a lot easier in certain situations.recently i bought a 5600 c5 mag it was advertised to cast real lite weight and does you can cast straight eggs with it now all i gotta do is find someone that installs direct drive buttons laugh

#201827 - 06/25/03 06:34 AM Re: Casting Help
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

stlhdfshn,
talk to bob gooding in forks about d/r conversions.

#201828 - 06/25/03 09:30 PM Re: Casting Help
stlhdfishn Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: kitsap peninsula
ltlCLEO thanks for the imfo next time I'm out that way i will stop and see him. theres another guy in portland that does the conversion but id rather go out to forks thumbs

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |