Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#210402 - 09/10/03 01:45 AM Auxillary motor steering system
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
I need remote steering for my trolling motor that is not connected to the i/o main motor. My cabin is too far and difficult to get to, and holding the outboard handle leaves very limited vision around the Ak cabin.. Whatis available?? Guesses on $$ ? thanks, Peri help

#210403 - 09/10/03 02:09 AM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA
TR 1 Gold, that is what I have on my boat, and it is worth every penny. Check out their website for more info. I think that they may also advertise on this board and may give some discount for members.

Steve Ng

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#210404 - 09/10/03 03:48 AM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
solidsteel Offline
Fry

Loc: Everett
I have the same problem on my boat. And the other problem is I don't think my wife is going to go for the price of a TR-1 gold. I was looking at the panther remote steering system on the cabelas site. I think its $300. But it doesn't give very much information about it.
I haven't heard anything about it good or bad yet. So I 'm still looking for suggestions of what works for everyone else.

Thanks, SS

#210405 - 09/10/03 07:49 AM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
jimh Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Area 8-1 to 13, WA
EZ Steer is another option. It doesn't have any smarts though like TR-1. That is, a connector goes from the kicker to the main motor.

I have EZ Steer on my boat. It isn't great, but it works pretty well.

#210406 - 09/10/03 11:36 AM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
Jersey Fresh Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I've had good success with the EZ-Steer, or as I like to call it- the Lazy-Steer.

#210407 - 09/10/03 04:27 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
ROCK Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Between 2 Mountains
I have the EZ-Steer also works great for my boat. Love to upgrade maybe later. beer

#210408 - 09/10/03 09:24 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
Hoghunter Offline
Returning Adult

Ditto FishNg1. I've had all the others and would never go back. TR-1 by Nautamatic is the only way to go if you want a truly independent remote steering for your kicker that works.

#210409 - 09/11/03 01:24 AM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks Steve,, you're right they are an advertiser on PP.. Their web is a little vague, so I'll try the 800# to find a local dealer. Does the TR 1 system come with out all those bells and whistles? I'm not smart enough to use a GPS ..... so only want remote steer and throtle. Surprised someone isn't competing with Nautamatic.

E-Z is not independent from main steering system......

Good luck convincing wifey, S Steel..... maybe let her man the tiller steering at 'humpy hollow' on a Sunday trip.......... ha ha -- like Stevie Wonder in rush hour traffic!!! laugh

#210410 - 09/11/03 11:29 AM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
solidsteel Offline
Fry

Loc: Everett
That's not a bad idea periwinkle. It would be even better if it was raining. It kind of defeats the purpose of having the AK blkhd when one person has to sit out in the rain and steer the kicker.
Oh well, I'm sure it would backfire. I can hear her now. "your the one that wanted this boat, you steer it!'
The search continues for a steering system. I'm still drooling over the TR-1 gold.

#210411 - 09/11/03 11:38 AM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
Hoghunter Offline
Returning Adult

Periwinkle, the TR-1 comes as a basic system with all the bells and whistles built in. If you don't want to use GPS just don't interface and it's not there. I have used their system since they first came out about six years ago. I don't use the GPS feature but live with the remote steering and throttle. The biggest problem I've had with them is reminding myself to pay attention to boats in front of me. They have really improved the system from when they first came out. You buy one and you will never regret it.

#210412 - 09/11/03 12:31 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
TR1 will soon offer a wireless remote for steering and throttle. I got WAY more interested when I heard that.

I have heard that if a group gets together to purchase, they offer a discount and also send someone up from Orygun to do all the installs.

I think that instead of a $2.5K trip to the Queen Charlottes next year, I'm going to try & get in on the group deal for the SeaSport.

#210413 - 09/11/03 07:20 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
fishin' sparky Offline
Fry

Loc: sultan,wa
I have the Goetz Trol - Eze series II on my trophy hardtop. It has a 20' cord and is electric/hydraulic. You can raise and lower your kicker out of the water. It has throttle control, remote kill and of course steering. I did a search and came up with this site that shows a picture of it, www.dmi.net/goetz/ . I love it and would recommend it to anyone. Not sure of the price since I bought my boat with it already installed.

#210414 - 09/12/03 01:45 AM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Wow -- hey thanks F Sparky. Sir Lancelot to the rescue (maybe).....

Well, today I phoned Nautamatic,, then went to a dealer locally,,, gulp gulp TR 1 $2,200.74!!

Slab Quest, how many people make up a 'group' and what price break do they get?? Could us Trophy guys get a Sea Sport decal for our boats and join up?

The search goes on.....

#210415 - 09/12/03 11:50 AM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
Peri,

The guy w/ moniker Petef1 works at TR1 and posts here sometimes.

I will check w/ my buddy, JR, who was telling me about the group deal. Maybe we could score a good off season deal?

Yeah, it's a lot of hay - about the same as a big fly-in fishing trip (you got to RATIONALIZE, man). I think it's even more w/ the wireless remote & installation....

#210416 - 09/13/03 01:56 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

I contacted Goetz (Trol-Eze) yesterday in Idaho. Apparently they are popular around the USA , but off the "top of his head" he couldn't think of any specific dealers in W. Washington other than Arima.. but said there are some, just couldn't think of them. He said lots of marinas carry them but won't sell over the counter because they want to do the installation. Shop foreman, John, is sending literature, and said people can deal directly with him, sidestepping dealers. PRICE $650 + or - and u do installation... smile

#210417 - 09/22/03 03:54 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
petef1 Offline
Fry

Loc: South Beach, Oregon
Hello there all, and thanks for the comments about my product/TR-1. I will not knock any other system out there, though I take all other steering devises off on a regular basis and install ours. We are the only company on the planet that has a true autopilot for kicker motors, therfore you just point your boat and fish, you dont have to steer back and fourth, just focus on fishing and where you are going. I will make Piscatorial members deals, The wireless remote will be an option for any Gold customer out there, it's a plug in item and will cost more, though you dont have to have it. It will be the size of your car door remote, it will include steering and throttle control only. This is the only way to go, trust me.

Thanks again,

Pete/TR-1 Autopilots 1-800-588-7655
Cell#503-329-5117

#210418 - 09/22/03 10:55 PM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
Hoghunter Offline
Returning Adult

I agree 100% Pete. I just went out with my buddy in his boat last week that has the Goetz system and I felt like we were steering in a whirlpool. There was a 10 to 15 kt breeze and that boat wouldn't stay on course for nothing. I was constantly hitting the port or starboard button. You couldn't pay me to own one.

#210419 - 09/23/03 12:53 AM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Solidsteel
Finaddict Ron
Slabquest

So what do you guys think??

I'm calling Pete tomorrow -- steering and throtle is just what I want. However, I was poking around Edmonds marina yesterday and ran across a system called 'Remote - Troll' made in Utah. Push button steering only, comes with a motor bracket ($550-$600)..
I need to find the boat owner and check on his satisfaction......

Hang in there we'll be remote soon ------- wink

#210420 - 09/23/03 12:54 AM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Solidsteel
Finaddict Ron
Slabquest

So what do you guys think??

I'm calling Pete tomorrow -- steering and throtle is just what I want. However, I was poking around Edmonds marina yesterday and ran across a system called 'Remote - Troll' made in Utah. Push button steering only, comes with a motor bracket ($550-$600)..
I need to find the boat owner and check on his satisfaction......

Hang in there we'll be remote soon ------- wink

#210421 - 09/23/03 01:07 AM Re: Auxillary motor steering system
markshoreline Offline
Alevin

Loc: Shoreline, Wa
I've tried a couple of different methods for powering and steering a heavy boat with a kicker motor. I've learned that the small motor has a tough time torqueing the boat through a turn into the wind or current, unless the large motor turns WITH the small motor. SO, I now have a system that turns both motors together when the troller is running. Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |