Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#223137 - 12/19/03 12:27 AM which boat to buy
Fish-N-Chicks Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup
i am looking to buy a new boat within the next couple of months i have always had the 16 &17 foot aluminum boats but now i want to buy a bigger saltwater boat and i cant decide if i should go with a fiberglass or aluminum the two boats that i am looking at are the trophy 2359 it is a 23 foot with a enclosed cabin and it has a 350 inboard the second boat is an almar which is aluminum it is also an enclosed cabin and it is 24 feet and it has a 225 four stroke yamaha outboard i will be using it mostly in the saltwater and it will be moored in the water during salmon season both boats are in the same 50,000 dollar range any input would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

#223138 - 12/19/03 01:11 AM Re: which boat to buy
get_my_drift Offline
Fry

Loc: Washington
FOr my .02 opinion

Both those are good boats. But if you are going to fish almost all in saltwater and are planning to spend 50K then take a look at the 23 ft. Grady White. They are a little more but the resale value usually makes that back later. Doesn't get any better than a GW.

If you only can have one boat and want to do any boat fishing in the bigger rivers I think checking out the new 24 ft. Willie Raptor windshield with top model of vee sleds is a good idea. That hull has a little more vee in it than their Predator vee sled so it will ride the salt better, more than plenty good on inside Sound waters. With those new better outboard jet pumps on the outboard or with an inboard V8 with good jet pump unit, it would also allow you to use it up the Skagit Skykomish Cowlitz etc.

Many other good sled brands with good inboard or outboard vee sleds with windshields and tops. Having dual purpose makes them easier to sell later on in the northwest region. But they won't be as nice to sleep in but you can with the fold down seat options and full length top options.

#223139 - 12/19/03 03:45 AM Re: which boat to buy
FishNg1 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA , USA
My vote would be the almar with the outboard, I have had I/O and they are nothing but buckets of rust waiting to happen. And they weigh so much more than an Outboard, not counting the room they take up inside the boat.

I have a 22 foot walk-around that suits me and a couple buddies just fine. It is fiberglass though, used to use my 18 formula vee all the time in the salt and it was no worse for the wear. I have a brother who guides in Alaska and he has a 28 foot aluminum hull too.

Steve

Dad, think that if I practice hard, they'll let me participate in the SRC ?
[Gig Harbor Puget Sound Anglers....Join your local chapter. CCA member

#223140 - 12/19/03 04:46 AM Re: which boat to buy
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
I've been chartering in the Cape Flattery visinity for 10 years and fishing it for 20. One of my customers ended up in the water due to the hull seperation of a Bayliner of his. Another I know lost his buddy out there in a trophy. Same problem. Spend the extra $, especially in open or offshore waters or where conditions can possibly be unpredictable such as our coast. Many charter skippers here in the NW will have the same recomendation.
Check out Almar marine if aluminum is your choice in a saltwater vessel. If fiberglass, then Shamrock boats if inboard and Grady if outboard powered. My choice, 26' Almar sounder hull with center console inclosed pilothouse, w/twin four strokes. Honda 130s trim tabs and applicable electronics. The WDFWenforcment, just purchased a twin diesel 28' in the same configuration. Oh wait, our license fee's did. Our outfit runs a 37', but check out Topwater charter's 26' sounder out of Neah Bay. It's a 26 not a 22-24 as your looking for but some alaska outfits run Fleets of almar sounders. Topwater has a great website and is well regarded. Grady makes an exelent riding 22 and 24 and is as dry as any in that size range. Shamrock has the best ride with its full keel true inbord design. Tommycod chaters used to have one. Good Luck.

#223141 - 12/19/03 04:47 AM Re: which boat to buy
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
No Bayliners! Almar aluminum, GW in fiberglass. Without a doubt

#223142 - 12/19/03 05:56 AM Re: which boat to buy
bear Offline
Parr

Loc: federal way
I bought a 22 ft arima sea ledgend hard top this last summer with a 200 hp outboard nice stabile boat, high gunnels, lots of room, easy cleanup,nice big fish boxs, keep this in mind if you like fiberglass boats.

Dan

#223143 - 12/19/03 08:32 AM Re: which boat to buy
grandpa2 Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Brier, Washington
The Almar is a very well made and sturdy boat. I don't think all boating accidents happen on Bayliners. I think anyone could fall overboard on a boat be it a Shamrock, a Grady or anything else. The Almar would have the least maintenance of all the recommendations.

#223144 - 12/19/03 08:32 AM Re: which boat to buy
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Almar laugh

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#223145 - 12/19/03 09:42 AM Re: which boat to buy
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: des moines
Out of your two options get the Almar. I had a 24' Bayliner that I bought brand new and the quality just isnt what it shoud be. If you want a glass boat do like the guys above posted get a Grady or Arima or maybe Sea Sport.

#223146 - 12/19/03 10:44 AM Re: which boat to buy
wolverine Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA
OK, I had to jump in on the Bayliner bashing thread. I agree tat there are issues on their older boats. They started a quality program a few years back that has greatly improved their structural integrity, fit, and finish. Their new products are well made. GW's are nice, but they also cost 1/3 more. If you are a hard core fisherman and can live without a few of the amenities go with the aluminum. No glass boat can take the abuse that a well made aluminum boat can. Seriously consider your requirements and buy a little bigger than you need. Boats depreciate and it's better to stretch a bit and get what you need. Trading up later can be expensive.

#223147 - 12/19/03 11:01 AM Re: which boat to buy
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Almar
Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#223148 - 12/19/03 11:58 AM Re: which boat to buy
Finegrain Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Woodinville, WA, USA
Given those two choices for the same money, I'd go with the Almar. No brainer. Don't even have to think about it :-) That 4-stroke 225 Yamaha clinches the deal for me. True, the I/O is a rust-pile, waiting to happen. It's impossible to keep a cast iron block rust-free when it sits 6" from sea water (the bilge) 24/7.

The Bayliner is a nice boat. It's just that they got expensive when they improved their quality. The Trophys now are right up there price-wise with Pursuit, Seaswirl, and Wellcraft. Grady White is still crazy-expensive, IMO.

Regards.

Finegrain
Woodinville

Finegrain
Woodinville

#223149 - 12/19/03 12:30 PM Re: which boat to buy
baddawg Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett WA
Of the two, I would go with the almar. I would also take a look at the Hewescraft alaska series. The company is in eastern washington and has been making some very fine boats for a long time. Another fine boat is the Wooldridge deep water plus. Made in Seattle they are top of the line boats.
I have a 17ft Arima that I like very much, but if I had 50,000 to spend on a boat I am not sure I would choose the 22 foot Arima. The Arima design is great for most water, very stable and very fuel efficient, but if I were buying something for mostly offshore use I would go with something with a little more V in the back of the boat. I think the Arima 15, 17, and 19 footers are top of the line in their size class, but the boat to dollar ratio slips alittle when you get to the 21 and 22 footers.
The trophy is better than it used to be, but I still think you can get more bang for your buck. I don't think that the trophy has improved to the point that justifies the price.

Here are a couple of links

hewescraft boat

Wooldridge boats

Have fun shopping (nothing better than picking out boats or trucks with someone elses money!!) laugh

#223150 - 12/19/03 12:46 PM Re: which boat to buy
cast and blast Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
I bought a grady last year and could not be happier. Check out some of your options before you do anything. Jacobsens gets alot of consignment boats 2-10 years old from people who upgraded or are getting out of boating.

Personally, I looked at Trophys, nice features but I don't like to swim in the salt! I looked at Seaswirls and they seem to be nice boats with good features, i just could not get the info I needed to make this big purchase.

I would do the grady all over again in a heartbeat.

#223151 - 12/19/03 01:03 PM Re: which boat to buy
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
22' or 24' SeaSport for the NorthWest. Step inside & shut the door...

#223152 - 12/19/03 01:23 PM Re: which boat to buy
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

IMO Bayliners are like dating a woman that looks like a strong 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. Only to find out when the make up comes off that what you really have is a 4 to 5. laugh

#223153 - 12/19/03 03:31 PM Re: which boat to buy
jeff'e'd Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snohomish, WA USA
Boston Whaler looks to me to be as good if not better than the GW. Anybody own a Woolridge Deepwater 21 or 24 aluminum?

#223154 - 12/19/03 04:02 PM Re: which boat to buy
baddawg Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett WA
Slabquest
Sea Sport is a great choice, but if you find one for 50,000 let me know! laugh

Even used they run way more than that.

#223155 - 12/19/03 04:12 PM Re: which boat to buy
DUROBOAT15 Offline
Spawner

Found this used Sea Sport that dosnt look to bad.
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/1/2/59047512.htm

#223156 - 12/19/03 04:27 PM Re: which boat to buy
Fish-Bite Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Rainier, WA 98576
Fish –N- Chicks,

I am in full agreement get_my_drift and jaydee and the other members of the board who are telling you to ditch the idea of the Bayliner. The Almars' are good boats, but being a Grady owner myself, I am biased and lean towards the Grady white. 50 grand is a good chunk of coin, and there are a lot of good boats out there for under that amount of money that will perform, hold up well, keep you afloat when you accidentally find yourself at sea and in a compromising position; and most importantly ARE NOT BAYLINERS!

Best of luck to you!

JW

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
cordoge, CORKE, FISHRIGHT, LoweDown, minirex, RDK
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 316 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63785 Topics
645442 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |