LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#223852 - 12/25/03 06:40 PM new to steelhead fishing!!
buckmaster5x4 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Silverdale
I am brand new to steelhead fishing. I have gone once on a boat with a guide, what a blast. I got a new steelhead rod and reel for my Birthday and am interested in fishing the pennisula. I live in Silverdale and probably closest to the sol duc? I was wondering if anyone can give me any pointers that will help me out. I will be bank fishing, so any help about were to fish, when, what to use and the technique to use will be much appreciatted.

Thanks Buckmaster5x4

#223853 - 12/25/03 08:37 PM Re: new to steelhead fishing!!
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall

#223854 - 12/25/03 10:42 PM Re: new to steelhead fishing!!
GZ Offline
Fry

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Listen to Dave, Buckmaster. Find a mentor, a great alpha angler that can bring the learning curve down to weeks instead of years. Don't fish in front of him- watch and download his every move. Hire a guide. The best ones will teach you, not just give you a trip dowm the creek and take your money. Do read- there are some wonderful books from Amato Publications that can help you along. And most importantly, pick one river and learn itwell. Don't shotgun around chasing fishing reports- by the time you hear them it already happened and you've missed it. Learn that river under low and high water conditions, summer and winter.

And for God's sakes, DO NOT read fishing and hunting "news". Keep your own journal to find best times or get a network of close buddies that fish frequently.

Be persistent, be patient, and practice. Luck when fishing only comes when persistence meets opportunity.

Have fun, do no get caught up in "boat racing" or firstwater-or die mentality.

And remember...Release native steelhead even whenb our shortsighted leaders say it is ok to take one.

banana

#223855 - 12/26/03 02:54 AM Re: new to steelhead fishing!!
Winterun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tac/Puy
Buckmaster,
December 25th and your thread has been visited by the 2 wise men. What a gift, take their advice, and you will gain the knowledge and experience to catch that ever elusive prize.
Good Luck,
Winterun. thumbs

#223856 - 12/26/03 03:16 PM Re: new to steelhead fishing!!
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
howdy neighbor,

How could I possibly add to what these three wise guys (in more ways than one) have said other than to say:

"you've got mail!" wink
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#223857 - 12/28/03 12:31 AM Re: new to steelhead fishing!!
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
See that....you go and sell me all those Corkies,and now you have a use for them. :p

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#223858 - 12/28/03 12:59 AM Re: new to steelhead fishing!!
fromcuthroattosteelies Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: olympia
JIGS, JIGS, JIGS, JIGS, JIGS, JIGS laugh
I wish I would have known about them when I first started. Would have saved probably say ---- 10,000 hours on the river with no fish to show for it. I think I fished twenty days until I got my first steelie. Coincidentally, I got it the first day I threw a jig. As a matter of fact, I got three that day. then again, I was fishing the green.
Cuttie

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1099 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645403 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |