Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#224046 - 12/28/03 06:52 AM Entrails
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
What do you guys do with all your fish guts? I don't have garbage pick up, and although I keep telling myself what great crab bait it is, I could never use as much as I get, and I don't go to the dump but about once every four to six weeks, so the stuff can become quite rank.

So my solution is to freeze it in a garbage bag and take it back to the river. The block of guts floats down the river(s) in a big block and as it thaws it deposits the pieces along the way. The bag has then been used to tie to a tree at some public areas with a few "seed" pieces of local garbage tossed in. In other cases, it makes for a fish bag for that day's fishing. beer

#224047 - 12/28/03 08:58 AM Re: Entrails
RiverLiver Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, WA,
95% of all my entrails are put back in the river the fish came from because I clean all my fish on the boat before going in to the ramp. However if I fish some local rivers which have walk in access only, I'll clean my fish at home and return the entrails into the bay by my house, I feel by doing this that at least they end up back in the eco system.

#224048 - 12/28/03 10:39 AM Re: Entrails
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Sort of on the subject. Its a good thing to throw the guts into the river but please don't do it at the boat ramp. A lot of people who don't understand that its a good thing for the fish in the long run view it as trash. How many times have you gotten to a take out and the river out side the ramp has guts all over ?? it does not bother me but you know how folks can be

#224049 - 12/28/03 12:43 PM Re: Entrails
ONTHESAUK Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA
I just throw them in the ravine behind the house and the bobcats and mountain lions come in and clean them up. (Quite aways away from the house!)

#224050 - 12/28/03 01:09 PM Re: Entrails
Diana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I ALWAYS clean the fish at the river and toss the entrails out into the current. No point in leaving them in shallow water where the racoons can pull them out at night.

IF it presents a major hassle to get them into the river (entrails are entrails and any river will do; you're not introducing genetic material), you can bury them in your garden, or under a tree or shrub. Finest fishmeal around!

#224051 - 12/28/03 01:34 PM Re: Entrails
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Diana: You can bury them, but it better be DEEP. I have had my garden shredded by dogs digging up the fish. I used to use dogfish for fertilizer until it got to be too big a hassle with animals trying to dig them up.

That was a cakewalk though compared to the time I tried to make my own fish fertilizer from carp and horse manure. Do not attempt this at home!!!

#224052 - 12/28/03 01:43 PM Re: Entrails
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Toledo, Washington
It would just make good sense to put the guts and entrails back into the same river that you caught your fish from. Many fish diseases are carried in these body parts, and one should not pass them into other river systems if at all possible. I always clean, and gut my fish in the same river it was caught in.

When we used to "pump" fish from our rearing ponds into the Cowlitz, we always had to first disinfect the pumps before we could use them. Fish carry lots of bad "stuff" that don't bother humans, but can be disastrous to other fish. Maybe one of our local biologist will jump in and name a few like C-Shasta or IHN, etc.

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????

#224053 - 12/28/03 06:55 PM Re: Entrails
chaser Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: marysville,wa
smile FYI with regards to B- steely's concern. Back in the 70's there was a legislator in Oregon who after a summer vacation in the Santiam pass area came back to Salem and introduced a bill making it illegal to discard fish guts in the water because he found it disgusting It actually made it to commitee where someone finally set him straight on how ridiculous his bill was. smile

#224054 - 12/28/03 10:55 PM Re: Entrails
roguesteelheader Offline
Parr

Loc: Southern Oregon
O.S.P will write us up if they catch us gutting at a boat ramp on the Rogue. flog

#224055 - 12/29/03 01:07 AM Re: Entrails
Catarafter Offline
Parr

Loc: Kirkland Wa.
Earlier this summer, I made a call to WDFW Enforcement at Olympia, to enquire about filetting fish on the river. I was told it was ok, as long as identification was intact, such as fins or lack of, etc. Also the person told me that it was not legal to place the entrails into the river, and the health dept could issue citations for doing so.

I did mention that I doubt they would do so, even if they could. Not sure if this was just a personal opinion of the person I was talking to, or if it was for real. Maybe someone on the board knows more about it.
Catarafter

#224056 - 12/29/03 09:11 AM Re: Entrails
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
I would hope to God that filleting a fish on the river where there is no retention of wild stocks allowed... Please say its not so. Talk about a loop hole for poachers. They went through that this year in Idaho, several people wanted top know if it was leagle and the answer was.
"You have to be kidding"... not no but hell no.

#224057 - 12/29/03 10:10 AM Re: Entrails
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Just a brief note for clarity......I don't fillet fish at the river. I will sometimes gut and gill the fish, but as often, I wait until I get home. Then the entire package of head, guts, gills, and skeleton are frozen. They remain in the freezer until the next trip or possibly a couple of trips to the river.

Don't I see often where WDFW freezes and deposits carcasses (both whole and spawned) in tributaries for feed? Are these carcasses only deposited in the same river system from which they came?

Where's the bio's on these questions? Help, guys! confused beer

#224058 - 12/29/03 11:43 AM Re: Entrails
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Hears your answer to several of these questions about cleaning or filleting a fish in the field! laugh

WAC 220-56-145 Possession of gamefish, food fish or shellfish in unlawful condition -- Possession aboard a vessel. (1) Fish and shellfish may be cleaned and portioned in the field except sturgeon when sturgeon eggs are in possession. It is unlawful for a fisher to fail to retain proof of compliance with number, species, size, weight, sex, or wild or hatchery origin restrictions, if such restrictions apply, until the fisher is ashore and has finished fishing for the day. This subsection does not apply if the catch is in the process of being prepared for immediate consumption.

(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (1) of this section, it is unlawful to possess Dolly Varden/bull trout in the field in such condition that the species and total length cannot be determined.

(3) In Marine Areas 1 through 6 it is unlawful for any person to possess more than one daily limit of fish or shellfish in fresh form while aboard a vessel.

This means if you intend on filleting your fish and it's a salmon or steelhead, you must save that adipose fin to show that it was a "hatchery" fish! laugh

Cowlitzfisherman

#224059 - 12/29/03 12:16 PM Re: Entrails
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Chuck it in a neighbors yard that you dont like..

wink --but then again you might get woken up by shotgun fire cause the coons are invading.

#224060 - 12/29/03 12:28 PM Re: Entrails
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Thanks for the research and response, CFM! beer
Perhaps I read it wrong, but I see no mention of restrictions outside of being aboard a vessel.
I have no interest in filleting on the river, but the adipose fin could be left intact on at least half of the fillets without a problem. I'm surprised that the only apparent roadblock to filleting on site is that you be finished fishing for the day. (Dolley Varden excepted...who keeps these, anyway?)

Am I missing something? confused

#224061 - 12/29/03 03:51 PM Re: Entrails
cowlitzfisherman Offline
Three Time Spawner

Fun5
Quote:
Perhaps I read it wrong, but I see no mention of restrictions outside of being aboard a vessel.
Look at it this way; laugh laugh

"may be cleaned and portioned in the field"

beer

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |