Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#257684 - 10/12/04 11:40 AM Re: Flossing For Chrome
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
The other day after loosing the second silver I had ever hooked in the Snohomish on a trooled fatfish in slack water I was so upset that I accedently exceeded the speed limet by 6 miles an hour. I feel so bad about it that that I probably won't ever allow myself to fish again. I just can't take the chance of being skunked and dealing with the on going distraction that it causes. Speeding is a crime and now I am a criminal all because i love to catch fish so much. I think it would be best if I were to have a deep conversation with my .357 now.

aw to hell with it I am going to the Veddar with spinners, spoons and bobbers and eggs and Ill try to keep the rig under 75. I may take some longer leeders and wool but not my bonker or even an Ice chest because i don't keep the fish I catch there. I just love to reel em in. SEE YA

#257685 - 10/12/04 02:03 PM Re: Flossing For Chrome
Slab Quest Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Mukilteo or Westport
I have heard that in Alaska, flossing/snagging and even the use of dip nets is permitted for specific overpopulated fish runs. So I guess the practice of snagging has it's place in the big picture, just like seine nets, gill nets, etc. It just isn't "angling".

#257686 - 10/13/04 12:38 AM Re: Flossing For Chrome
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Dynamite Kid,

I'll be up on your local stream next Wednesday...how's the fishin' been?

It does crack me up a bit to see all the guys trying to floss fish with floats and wool up there...I fish eggs under a float amongst them when there is room, which there usually is. I swear, the fishermen are so nice and polite up there that if you stop and watch for more than a minute or two, they'll squeeze tighter together and invite you come over and fish with them.

Two years ago some fellas made some room for me (without me asking)...and I proceeded to outfish the four of them about five to one using eggs...I tried to give them some bait (I had a lot with me), but they politely said that they were OK with yarn. One of the guys, about a 14 year old kid, took the eggs and proceeded to hook fish after fish...

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#257687 - 10/13/04 12:52 AM Re: Flossing For Chrome
Haus Offline
Parr

Loc: Shelton to Colorado
Well I respect everyones opinion on this and have much respect for those who say they can do it without the 7'+ leaders, but could you please more thoroughly explain how? I fish barrier dam quite a bit if I'm not bumming a ride in a friends boat and at the dam or hell at the nisqually, puyallup, green, skok, or anywhere I bank fish it just doesnt matter, every bankie I see is doing the 7+ thing. I have read over and over again about how to catch fish without going that route but I never ever see it employed therefore I have no confidence in it. Though I am completely confident the biggest king of my river fishing life(40#), which I caught yesterday at the barrier dam, bit my setup even though I was using a 5' leader. Still 2'+ shy of the next shortest setup I saw. Anyway what do you guys suggest when going with shorter leaders? Do I need to use larger or more corkies to get my setup where I want it? I don't give a rats ass if anyone flosses or not but I do find humor in flippin people **** when I catch a fish via more traditional methods \:D

#257688 - 10/13/04 03:52 AM Re: Flossing For Chrome
Bent Rods Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chilliwack ,British columbia,C...
Sorry for this hi-jack.Todd ,the fishing has been quite good for big whites but the coho have been more than a little finicky,some retired everyday fisherman I know have not hooked 1 coho.Seems the best way to find the coho is to fish smaller runs and pockets ,I have done well doing this ,using small colorado blades fished under a float.The coho really start to move once it gets light out and the flossers bombard them with lead ,good time to hit the pockets near Tamahi bridge.When I fish these small pockets I shortfloat roe using a 10" leader ,as they are shallow and the short leader prevents the eggs from drifting up.The big chums are moving in and a large doe is allowed to be kept ,these eggs are without equal .Good luck on your trip up ,have fun and Bent Rods to ya \:\)

#257689 - 10/13/04 06:11 PM Re: Flossing For Chrome
Baitstop Offline
Egg

Loc: Kenmore, WA
The 1st time I saw flossing was 10 yrs. ago on the Trinity. 7-8' leaders a corky, puffball or single bead & a 1/0-2/0 barbless hook and 9-10' spinning rigs. Lots of casting & ripping with many more hookups than the bait or hardware gang. When one of the kings found it's way into a net the barbless hook conveniently fell out in the net & no one but the guy on the end of the rod knew where it was really hooked. Ironically Cal. F&G has regs that prevent you from using leaders less than 18" but to date don't deal with "long" leaders. The flossing debate will go on a long time & I guess it just comes down to a matter of style until it's outlawed by WDFW?

#257690 - 10/14/04 02:36 PM Re: Flossing For Chrome
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Thanks, DK,

Kid Sauk and I will be up on Wednesday...we're planning on coming up Tuesday night and fishing on Wednesday.

What are the hours at Fred's? I seem to remember he opens at 8, but last year opened earlier. We're hoping to get our licenses Tuesday evening so that we can get right to business Wednesday...

Good call on the chums, but we'll be fishing it on the cheap, most likely (i.e., non-retention licenses).

Know anywhere cheap to stay...two beds less than $50? I'm not sharing a bed with The Kid...

Thanks for the info, and I also apologize for the hijack, but I think this thread has pretty much run its course anyway...

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. Want to fish on Wednesday, DK?

#257691 - 10/14/04 03:12 PM Re: Flossing For Chrome
CraigO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lake Stevens
Todd,

Fred's usually seems to open around 7:00 a.m. this time of year, I am not sure the closing time. I sent you a pm. I am bringing a bunch of eggs this year.

#257692 - 10/14/04 03:16 PM Re: Flossing For Chrome
4Salt Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
Eggs won't do either of you any good 'cause after I'm through fishing it this Saturday... there won't be nothin' left for you guys! ;\) :p \:D

"two beds less than $50?"

Todd, call the Travelodge, that's where I usually stay. $65 Cn. + tax is probably around $ 50 US. Pretty nice place too!

I was up last weekend and let's just say I did VERY well... I'll be there this weekend too.

#257693 - 10/14/04 03:16 PM Re: Flossing For Chrome
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I think that Fred's opens at 6 am this time of year, I know it's open at 7 for sure. Kid Sauk and Todd loose in Chilliwack, lock the doors and keep the women and children indoors!

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#257694 - 10/14/04 04:07 PM Re: Flossing For Chrome
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

"Eggs won't do either of you any good 'cause after I'm through fishing it this Saturday... there won't be nothin' left for you guys! "

I ain't scared a' you, 4S! Are you coming back before Wednesday?

"Todd, call the Travelodge, that's where I usually stay. $65 Cn. + tax is probably around $ 50 US. Pretty nice place too!"

Thanks!

"Kid Sauk and Todd loose in Chilliwack, lock the doors and keep the women and children indoors!"

\:D \:D

Fish on...

Todd

#257695 - 10/14/04 06:40 PM Re: Flossing For Chrome
k&P Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Forks, WA
Fished the Snohomish this morning off the bank. I got skunked but saw 4 landed on DK's in the mouth. All 4 fish hit close to shore and at the end of the drift/swing. All 4 fish were bright. I've noticed all the fish I have hooked have also been close to shore like Coho do when they follow a spoon. Just an observation.

I also saw some fool doing the snagging thing. Cast, yank, yank.... When will these people get it. We yelled at the guy and then it looked like a snagged fish he had on got tangled up with some lines out of a boat. A few words were exchanged (something about a huge $$$ fine) and the guys technique changed. To bad the Fish Cops were'nt around. I know they have been in the area on a regular basis.

#257696 - 10/15/04 01:18 AM Re: Flossing For Chrome
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Quote:
Originally posted by Todd:
"Eggs won't do either of you any good 'cause after I'm through fishing it this Saturday... there won't be nothin' left for you guys! "

I ain't scared a' you, 4S! Are you coming back before Wednesday?

"Todd, call the Travelodge, that's where I usually stay. $65 Cn. + tax is probably around $ 50 US. Pretty nice place too!"

Thanks!

"Kid Sauk and Todd loose in Chilliwack, lock the doors and keep the women and children indoors!"

\:D \:D

Fish on...

Todd
Ahhh, river salmon season, it's the only time of year where trash is as deep as the talk. \:\) Hey as anyone else ever run into the big women with the thirsty two oncer cup screaming at people to get their lines out of the way? Last time I saw her was at Stevens Creek in the mid nineties

#257697 - 10/15/04 02:52 PM Re: Flossing For Chrome
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
I hit it yesterday from the bank and still lots of crome to be had. Eggs held close to shoreline dead still after a short drift was the ticket. Super duper has been producing too. Only 1 fish taken on a dicknite. I don't like them. Seems to be a fad or something. But now that there are some colored fish in the mix it's time for the master lure, white sonic rooster. Can't beat it. And i pitty the people that hate or say that Chum suck. Where's the respect? It's probably the indians fault right? LOL j/k.

#257698 - 10/19/04 06:49 AM Re: Flossing For Chrome
bindrinkin Offline
Egg

Loc: Auburn,wa
FLOSSIN' IS A TECHNIQUE FOR THE WEAK ANGLERS WHO CANT FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE FISH BITE. FLOSSIN' IS AN OLD SCHOOL COWLITZ RIVER TECHNIQU E FOR THE GUIDE'S TO MAKE MONEY. tHE GUIDES ON THE COWLITZ KNOW HOW TO FLOSS NOT HOW TO FISH, ITS A HATCHERY NOT A FISHING OPPORTUNITY

#257699 - 10/19/04 08:50 AM Re: Flossing For Chrome
db_cooper Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Foothills, Wa.
I don't fish in the rivers...too many flossers :p

#257700 - 10/19/04 09:58 AM Re: Flossing For Chrome
RK43 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
(1) post and you slam the guides on the Cow. My home river. I learned to boondog from a guide friend. It is not flossing. It is pure fishing.
Pull your head out of your ars.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (steely slammer, No More Ice Fishin, Carcassman, 1 invisible), 1168 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645373 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |