LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#260192 - 11/04/04 12:58 PM Your coho mark rate at Sekiu... greater than 25% or less?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was wondering what your experience was with the mark rate on coho caught at Sekiu this past season.

More than 25% marked?

Less than 25% marked?

This seems to be the "guideline" that WDFW uses to determine in the mark-selective fishery is appropriate or not... for coho anyway.

#260193 - 11/05/04 02:15 PM Re: Your coho mark rate at Sekiu... greater than 25% or less?
baddawg Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett WA
Just a thought, not all of us get the opportunity to fish CQ for coho (dang work) but would be interested in the results of this poll. Any chance you could post the results for all to see??

Thanks!!

#260194 - 11/05/04 03:40 PM Re: Your coho mark rate at Sekiu... greater than 25% or less?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So far it is running 71% having less than 1 mark for every 4 coho caught... which seems to me makes this selective fishery less supportable than one where the mark rate is greater than 1 in 4.

My experience ranged from 1 marked coho for every 6 caught to 1 for every 10 caught. Meaning the hatchery coho returns did not do as well as forecast or the wild coho did much better than forecast... or both.

There were times when the fish I released were not in good shape due to hook location, etc. I did everything I could to follow the rules, keeping the fish in the water, not in the boat, etc. I wondered whether I was really conserving wild fish with this selective fishery. Anyone else care to share their experience?

#260195 - 11/05/04 04:00 PM Re: Your coho mark rate at Sekiu... greater than 25% or less?
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Didn't fish Seiku this year but went about 50% at Neah Bay over 6 days of fishing this year. We did a lot of fishing offshore a ways which may have changed our results from fishing close in.

#260196 - 11/06/04 04:28 PM Re: Your coho mark rate at Sekiu... greater than 25% or less?
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
This would not be popular with most anglers, but it is my opinion that keeping the first two fish regardless of hatchery or wild would be better for wild coho.

#260197 - 11/06/04 09:58 PM Re: Your coho mark rate at Sekiu... greater than 25% or less?
fuzzy Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: port orchard
"This would not be popular with most anglers, but it is my opinion that keeping the first two fish regardless of hatchery or wild would be better for wild coho."

yep
i agree

#260198 - 11/06/04 11:56 PM Re: Your coho mark rate at Sekiu... greater than 25% or less?
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
We had days where it was 1 wild to 1 hatchery and other days when it ran as high as 7 wild to 1 hatchery.

Lots of "wild" fish were lost due to hooking mortality. Not sure if I'd like the first two fish, but could live with one wild in the daily bag.

What isn't known yet to me is the success of the "wild" spawning coho. Improved river habitat and improved ocean conditions are all factors.

The NOF process should be interesting this year.

#260199 - 11/07/04 12:06 AM Re: Your coho mark rate at Sekiu... greater than 25% or less?
Terrapin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Tacoma
I made seven trips up to Neah Bay last summer. The first few trips the ratio was close to 1:1. At times they would all be marked while other times they were all wild. As the season wore on it became closer to 5:1 and 6:1 wild to clipped. Last day I was there it was around 10-15:1 wild to clipped.

I rarely use bait and I felt that almost all of the fish I released looked pretty good swimming away with only a few that I thought might not make it.

Interesting post by the way.

CF

#260200 - 11/08/04 07:14 PM Re: Your coho mark rate at Sekiu... greater than 25% or less?
Never Enough Nookie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bremerton
I did not make it up to fish CQ this year, but could it have anything to do with the amount of fish present and/or the fact that hatchery fish do not bite as well?
Visit any hatchery that raises coho and you will see that they are getting plenty. I talked to a friend that works for WDFW at the Minter Cr. salmon hatchery (South Sound), he told me that in mid October they had 18,000 ad clipped coho back to the hatchery and were still approaching the peak. The previoups record for returning adults to that facility was 11K and some change. I will try to get the most recent numbers soon. Why were more of these not caught at CQ and PA and in the sound? Would raising the number of hatchery coho that we can keep be considered? Or let the tribes net in front of the hatchery where fewer wild fish would be intercepted, I always thought a good spot for them to net would be a fish ladder, can't be much more selective than that.

NEN

#260201 - 11/08/04 07:48 PM Re: Your coho mark rate at Sekiu... greater than 25% or less?
Gary Johnson Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Fall City, WA
On my 4 trips out to Sekiu and Neah I had very similar results to what Cutthroat Fan had. There were times when all we caught were Hatchery fish and times when all we caught were nates.

To me it really seemed like once you found a school of Hatchery fish if you went back over the shool you could get them to hit again and again. If on the other hand I hooked a nate I would continue looking rather than heading back to the same school of fish. We had several times when we would find a school and hit 4 or 5 fish in succession out there this year.

#260202 - 11/14/04 01:01 AM Re: Your coho mark rate at Sekiu... greater than 25% or less?
Never Enough Nookie Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bremerton
Just to update my previous post, Minter Cr. hatchery ended up getting 28,000 coho back to the hatchery, more than double the previous high for that hatchery. Again, why are we not catching these? It will be interesting to see how many were actually caught via CWT samples collected by WDFW.

NEN

#260203 - 11/14/04 11:39 AM Re: Your coho mark rate at Sekiu... greater than 25% or less?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unlike the last few years of higher marine survival and great PS hatchery coho returns, I think this year is a mixed bag. I know of a few PS hatcheries that do not have the 5,000 or 10,000 surplus they thought they would see.

#260204 - 11/22/04 07:38 PM Re: Your coho mark rate at Sekiu... greater than 25% or less?
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
In the majority with less than 25% marked. \:\(

I would like to see the results of this poll had that percentage been 10 or 15%. We caught 9 native to 1 hatchery.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1363 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |