THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#264395 - 12/21/04 02:23 AM NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
My friend and fishing partner- known here as JNT is facing the most difficult time of his life and could use some good will.

His daughter, Erin was born with a liver disfunction called Billiary Atresia. Her liver never developed the duct work to deliver bile to her intestinal tract. At three months old she under went a corrective surgery- a Casai (sp? pronounced "cassigh") proceedure. If I remember correctly, the doctors took blood vessles and used them to make ducts for bile delivery. The problem though is that it is only a temporary fix until the child is elegible for a liver transplant. Over the course of two years there have been many complications and extensive hospital stays, some too rough to describe.

Erin is almost three and has been listed on the transplant list for just under a year now. The doctors said a year ago some time between now and Christmas.

Well... Friday night at 9:00pm they are watching movies, laughing, just enjoying family time and the phone rings... "This is Childrens Hospital, we have an organ for your daughter, we need you here in the next hour."

Erin under went liver transplant surgery at 6:00am Saturday morning. The doctors were very optimistic given Erin's condition and the condition of the liver. I reassured Jon- a liver transplant is a cure. She would have a completely normal life if this works have hope. Eight hours later, the doctors felt everything had gone well. However, two hours later an ultrasound exam showed that bloodflow to the liver was blocked by a blood clot. The hospital recalled the team of surgeons and they reopened her to try and clear the blockage. We all were crushed. Four hours later, 12:30am the team had hope again, they had found the clot and put her back together. The liver appeared healthy so it is a wait and see.

I stayed the night at the hospital. Jon called me at 5:30am, nearly histerical... she was hemorraging profusely. It was coming out as fast as they were putting it in. She went back for the third time. It seems she was swollen from the trauma and the stomach wall was putting too much pressure on her liver for proper blood flow. The solution was to leave the incision open, temporarily closing it with an adhesive patch to allow the cavity to expand and relieve pressure in her abdomen. It was questioned though whether the liver had been damaged from the loss of blood flow or from the additional handling.

Hope. Pray. Stay positive when it seems the worst.

That was Sunday morning. The doctors felt that if they can stabilize her and buy some time the liver might get going. I had to leave Sunday evening to prepare for work Monday, but since then I have received word that her condition has improved. So here we are, twenty four hours later, the family is still standing by. The fact that she has been stabilized for this long is enough to be excited about.

Jon is as loyal of a follower of this board as I am. ( maybe he is more of a lurker?)

:p

But we follow the disputes, the humor, the adventures, the politics and share the fellowship that comes with this electronic community. He might have access to the board during this hospital stay. I tried twice on Sunday to place this post but the page wouldn't load. I suspected a security feature the hospital has placed on their network? If it is available now or not, Jon and his family need all of the positive words and energy available. Not being a formally spiritual soul myself, if anyone has a prayer I will be the first to bow my head and close my hands.

Thank you
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#264396 - 12/21/04 02:39 AM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
Anonymous
Unregistered

JTD:

My heart goes out to you, and the family. It sounds like this is a tough little girl, and she is fighting for her life.

I understand. My mom has been in Critical Care now for over a week, had heart surgery on Friday, and is still in CCU. She is, thank God, off the life-support machines, now.

Our thoughts and prayers will be with Erin, JNT, you and her family.

Mike B

Lord, I know I have asked for a lot in the last week.....but please, take some time for this little girl and make her healthy again? She has a long life ahead, and needs your help.

#264397 - 12/21/04 09:49 AM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
Mr.Twister Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia
My prayers are with her and her family.

#264398 - 12/21/04 10:56 AM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
JTN, stay strong, as a parent of a medically intensive 4 year old myself, who has spent considerable time at Children's, I know your daughter is getting the very best care possible, my wife and I will say a prayer for your daughter and your family.

#264399 - 12/21/04 11:55 AM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Our thoughts and prayers go out for Erin, her family and you also JTD.

Mike, so good to hear your mom is doing better. We will continue to remember her and your father in our prayers as well.

I hear you Mike, it's seems so hard to ask for more when you realize how much you've already given, but the truth is we just can't ask for more than God wants to give us. I suppose that's what Christmas was all about and why I must continue to ask Him each day for the grace to accept and trust Him more.

God bless one and all.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#264400 - 12/21/04 01:29 PM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
Duck In The Fog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima Wa. U.S.A.
Jnt. I too am on the transplant list. With all the info I have garnerd, I was told that young children have the best chance at haveing a liver transplant. I pray with the help of God that everything truns out for the better.Jim Marquis

#264401 - 12/21/04 01:43 PM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
Capt.Dan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Gig Harbor Washington
Peace and Love to ALL that have hardship this time of year especially!

I'll cry a little for this young girl, and hope she gets better!

Dan

#264402 - 12/21/04 04:10 PM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Thank you all for the good wishes. She is still stabilized but the doctors are concerned that she is not progressing as quickly as they had hoped. All we can do is wait. Hopefully this liver will kick in double time.

Duck in the Fog- I think you and Jon may have exchanged posts in the past regarding your transplant. He specifically requested that I post this info partially for your benefit. He is still very optimistic and is confident that this was the best solution to Erin's condition. Good luck yourself-

I'll keep everyone "posted" \:\)
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#264403 - 12/21/04 08:48 PM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
JNT Offline
Smolt

Loc: Steilacoom, WA
Thank you everybody for the positive thoughts and prayers. It is now Tuesday evening (5:40 pm) and she has just completed a plasma exchange procedure that helps remove liquids from the blood to help with swelling. She will be reconnected to kidney dialysis to help with the same. She is in better shape now than earlier. When fluid builds up it puts pressure on her heart. She has fluid in her lungs and her right upper lobe of her lung has collapsed. They will be able to fix that non-invasively. I just want people to know that we really appreciate the prayer and good thoughts. I know we will be home soon. Maybe Christmas will come in January/February.

Every one that takes the time to read this post and has children themselves needs to spend a little extra time with their kids tonight....hug them tighter and maybe read them a bed time story....possibly, about the slab that got away and your buddies won't believe.

I wish everybody a great Christmas

Best regards,
Jon Tornquist

#264404 - 12/21/04 09:20 PM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
The wife and I will both say a prayer for all of you.If you dont mind we would also like to include your daughter on a prayer list at church.Its so fortunate that children are so resilient.We pray that she will be a bouncy bubbly little girl before you know it.
Wishing you all the very best.
Rick and Sue

#264405 - 12/21/04 10:03 PM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
Muttly27 Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: N X NW
jnt....prayers to you and yours

Peace

#264406 - 12/22/04 01:18 AM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
JNT Offline
Smolt

Loc: Steilacoom, WA
Please Please Please .....Add Erin Tornquist's name to any prayer list and keep her in positive thought.

Thanks,
Jon

#264407 - 12/22/04 08:48 AM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
The little children are the true treasures on this earth.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#264408 - 12/22/04 12:08 PM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
Any updates on how Erin is doing today.Hope and pray its positive.

#264409 - 12/22/04 12:12 PM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Well Johnny- you gave that old hospital computer a kick start? It is nice to hear from you. I didn't get an update last night, but it sounds positive. Call me today if you can get away.

Did your brother tell you we are planning a dinner for all- I call it Chinese-take-out-Christmas-Eve-Extravaganza (I call it that even if I spell it wrong, sort of artistic license) but I need a head count as to who will be there. Any particular menu choices?

Does anyone know of a good Chinese take-out joint close to Childrens Hospital?

Take care of yourself, we are thinking about you, post up and hug Jess for me!

Jody

and a Santa back to you! \:D

#264410 - 12/22/04 02:13 PM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Quote:
Originally posted by JTD:
Does anyone know of a good Chinese take-out joint close to Childrens Hospital?
Of course!

Black Pearl. On the corner of 35th and 75th NE

526-5115

They will easily deliver to CHMC.

Or, even better, try giving Snappy Dragon a call at 528-5575.

They are at 8917 Roosevelt, and might be too far to deliver to CHMC, but you can always call and ask.

Although Snappy Dragon is an off-shoot of the original Panda's...which split in to 3 restaurant (Pandasia, Black Pearl, and Snappy Dragon), Snappy Dragon is the best of the 3.

#264411 - 12/22/04 04:25 PM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
Easy E Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Washington
JNT - Prayers, thoughts and best wishes from my family to yours.

#264412 - 12/22/04 05:12 PM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
Duck In The Fog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima Wa. U.S.A.
It's great news that her condition is inproving. It will be the gift you've been hopeing for. A major hurdle has been crossed and we're still praying for a great recovery. Jim

#264413 - 12/22/04 06:13 PM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
jackiepoo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: University Place Washington
My best wishes go out to you and your family and I have the best of hopes for your daughter and your family, god bless jfk

#264414 - 12/22/04 11:14 PM Re: NFR- Friend in need of Christmas cheer (long)
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Best wishes for a speedy recovery from Fishgal and myself! And a Merry Christmas as well. Hopefully, the liver will provide her with a Christmas present that will last for many decades to come!!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |