River Nutrients

Loc: Lynnwood, WA
"If you DO get some braods and booze lined up, 4S might want to talk to you."

LOL Dan! Am I being that obvious! \:D \:D

#266804 - 05/27/04 10:58 AM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
Well eddie I have ben involved in selling big ticket hardware for 25 years. Our GP is 60%. I would bet you do not understand what true GP is and you are either looking at it from a salesmans standpoint and not the financials. If you are looking at the financials are only the selling expenses related to selling the product charged or are all the general overhead expenses chraged to the selling expense/ different ways to come up with the number for different accounting purposes with in a company. In DanS example above a 33-35% GP on a belended parts and service op is the lowest I have ever seen. Thats $350 max GP on a million in sales. I do not know the shop rates in his business but I have yet to see a service shop rate below $100 to 150 per hour for any similar product that would also mean a fully loaded burden rate of over $70 -$100 an hour which is out of this world unless you are working out of Bill gates home:-)

#266805 - 05/27/04 11:21 AM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
King,

I think you need to look at your math. On a $1M sale @ 35% GP the GP is $350K not $350. A pretty significant difference. The way the companies I have worked for determines GP is pretty simple:

Sale price - (S,G,& A (overhead incl. labor) + Cost of Goods) = Net profit. GP is generally figured by Sale Price - Cost of Goods. My belief is that is a pretty accurate way of determining cost which is a key component in determining profit. Obviously it is difficult to measure on each individual product or sale, but it works pretty well on a monthly, quarterly, or yearly basis.

I would agree with Grandpa, Net Profit is by far the more important figure. Other than the fact that as a salesperson, my commission is based upon the GP.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#266806 - 05/27/04 11:46 AM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Eddie,

Of course I forgot the K. As a sales person I inmost cases you are not seeing true cost . Every company I have consulted front loads the salesmans cost. If they are a dealer or manufacture.

#266807 - 05/27/04 12:01 PM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
I would agree that I would not see the true cost in the manufacturing sector, but in regards to hard goods and services sold by a dealer or reseller - yes, I see the exact Cost of goods. In my business, GP at list price = 40%. And that's a heck of a lot better than other industry sectors.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#266809 - 08/24/04 04:19 PM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
POW!!

#266810 - 08/24/04 04:51 PM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Third stone from the sun
This was such a good post by PhishPhreak that I thought it deserved an encore.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally posted by PhishPhreak:
Did this admin lie about WMDs? If so, look who else did too:

(cut and stole this too)

+++++++++++++++++++++++

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them.
That is our bottom line."
President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998-Truth!
This was a quote from President Clinton during a presentation at the Pentagon defending a decision to conduct military strikes against Iraq.

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear.
We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
President Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998-Truth!
Bill Clinton went to the Pentagon on this occasion to be briefed by top military officials about Iraq and weapons of mass destruction.
His remarks followed that briefing.

"Iraq is a long way from USA but, what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998-Truth!
This is a quote from Albright during an appearance at Ohio State University by Albright, who was Secretary of State for Bill Clinton.

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998-Truth!
This was at the same Ohio State University appearance as Madeline Albright.
"We urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S.Constitution and Laws, to take necessary actions, (including, if appropriate,
air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction
programs."
Letter to President Clinton, signed by Sens. Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others Oct. 9, 1998-Truth!
According to the U.S. Senate website, the text of this letter was signed by several Senators, both Democrat and Republican, including Senator John McCain and Joseph Lieberman.

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998-Truth!
The text of this statement by Nancy Pelosi is posted on her congressional website.

"Hussein has .. chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."
Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999-Truth!
This was from an appearance Albright made in Chicago.
She was addressing the embargo of Iraq that was in effect at the time and criticism that it may have prevented needed medical supplies from getting into the country. Albright said, "There has never been an embargo against food and medicine. It's just that Hussein has just not chosen to spend his money on that. Instead, he has chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction, and palaces for his cronies."

"There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has invigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs
continue a pace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies."
Letter to President Bush, Signed by Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL,) and others, December 5, 2001Truth!
The only letter with this quote from December 5, 2001 that we could find did not include the participation of Senator Bob Graham, but it was signed nine other senators including Democrat Joe Lieberman.
It urged President Bush to take quicker action against Iraq.

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandated of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and the means of delivering them."
Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002-Truth!
These were remarks from Senator Levin to a Senate committee on that date.

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002-Truth!
This and the quote below was part of prepared remarks for a speech in San Francisco to The Commonwealth Club.

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002-Truth!

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002-Truth!
Part of a speech he gave at Johns Hopkins.

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998.
We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities.
Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002-Truth!
On the floor of the Senate during debate over the resolution that would authorize using force against Iraq.
He was urging caution about going to war and commented that even though there was confidence about the weapons in Iraq, there had not been the need to take military action for a number of years and he asked why there would be the need at that point.

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force-- if necessary-- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002-Truth!
Senator Kerry's comments were made to the Senate as part of the same debate over the resolution to use force against Saddam Hussein.

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated
the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002-Truth!
Senator Rockefeller's statements were a part of the debate over using force against Saddam Hussein.

"He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his
chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do" Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002-Truth!
Senator Waxman's contribution to the Senate debate over going to war.

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological
weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program.
He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002-Truth!
Senator Clinton acknowledged the threat of Saddam Hussein but said she did not feel that using force at that time was a good option.

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime He presents a
particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his
continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction
So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real ..."
Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan.23.2003-Truth!
In a speech to Georgetown University.

#266812 - 08/24/04 05:31 PM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
The wonderful thing about the people from which those quotes were taken is that they didn't send this country into war. Nor did they say there was an imminent threat. Nor do they say war was the only solution. And you know what? They were right.

#266813 - 08/24/04 05:34 PM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

I think Drunk driving should be a felony and subject to the 3 strikes rule. If that includes GW then So be it. AM the mistake you make is that you think I am in love with GW and can find no fault with what he does. Not ture. his platform , policies and stance on issues most closely reflects mine. He could be named Joe Blow for all I care. Just as Clinton's economic policies at the time where agreeable to me. I think Clinton would be doing much of what Bush has done since 9-11. And BTW Clinton was no uniter just as many people disliked him as do bush today based on the % of votes he granered in his last term.

#266814 - 08/24/04 05:46 PM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
So terrorists should get three strikes?

#266815 - 08/24/04 05:49 PM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by goharley:
The wonderful thing about the people from which those quotes were taken is that they didn't send this country into war. Nor did they say there was an imminent threat. Nor do they say war was the only solution. And you know what? They were right.

It's must be nice to be the Cheerleaders at the big swim meet cheering right up until the the swimmers jump into the water and then being able to say as they're half way down the lane, "sorry...do over."

BTW--The Cheerleader asking for your vote this November just said recently that given all he knows now he still would have voted to give the president the authority to go to war.

#266816 - 08/24/04 05:54 PM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
h2o Offline
Carcass

try another analogy.

none of us cheered our entry into the war

#266817 - 08/24/04 06:00 PM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

[QUOTE]Originally posted by h2o:
try another analogy.

none of us cheered our entry into the war
[/QUOTE

The Cheerlerders referenced were the ones quoted in the encore reprinting of Phish Phreak's post.

#266819 - 08/24/04 06:25 PM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

GH,

"So terrorists should get three strikes?"

Depends on the charges does it not? Also which system they are judged Mil or civil?

#266820 - 08/24/04 06:28 PM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Quote:
I do not know the shop rates in his business but I have yet to see a service shop rate below $100 to 150 per hour for any similar product
Our shop rate is $65/hour, which is in line with competing shops on the west coast. If you want to bill out $100/hour, you'd better be working on BMW's, not GA aircraft.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#266821 - 08/24/04 06:28 PM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
h2o Offline
Carcass

so you are AGAIN saying thatit is NOT a black or white issue.....

#266822 - 08/24/04 06:30 PM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

"Comment on TK's post. Drunk drivers (GW) and terrorists being treated the same"

first off your point is moot. Any one charged and convicted in the past could not be charged and convicted again under a new law. Secondly "terrorism" was not a collective crime per se back in GW's day but string of individual crimes. So any comparison to try and say the GW is the same as a terrorist cannot work.

#266823 - 08/24/04 06:35 PM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

No its very black and white depending on the charges. If you get charged with a capital crime of terrorism the 3 strikes rule would not apply. If you had 2 dwi's that where considered a felony and your third crime was say aiding a terrorist group a felony carrying a 15 year sentance( for example only I have no idea what the guidlines really are) you would be eligible for the 3 strikes rule and life.

Dan's ,

Stick with us that was a real old thread that AM drug up to make some point. Flashbacks maybe.

#266824 - 08/24/04 06:39 PM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by AuntyM:
C'mon Rory, quit stalling.

Comment on TK's post. Drunk drivers (GW) and terrorists being treated the same. \:D

Aunty M,

I only re-posted Phish Phreaks post because I got lost in the thread you made current, and thought it was as relative today (if not more so) as it was a few months ago.

With regards to TK's post--I've got my hands full backing up my own posts, much less anyone elses. \:D

On a serious note, I think drinking above the legal limit and operating a 3000 + lbs machine should be as serious legally as a private citizen going into a bar with a gun.

Even if you're a good driver or a good shot and have a C.W.P.--When your judgement is impared by alcohol it's better to leave your vehicle or fire arm out of arms reach.

With regards to terrorists, I think they get only one strike--then they get the panties on their head! \:D

#266826 - 08/24/04 07:18 PM Re: War on terror v. War in Iraq
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

AM,

No. If someone repairs a behavior it's fair to judge them from that point forward on their actions. There are certainly crimes and actions that do not fit into that mold like sex offenders etc based on research. Remember back in the 70's driving drunk was no big deal until mad came along. I remember a roadtrip to go fishing one time back in the mid 70's 8 of us in a Ford Country Squire Station wagon. We decided to see how far we could pile beer cans from the floor. the driver got pulled over in Westport for driving acrosss lawns. When the cop opened the doors beer cans fell everywhere. We had had almost a case each to drink. He looked for the most sober driver and sent us on our way. Something we would not do today certainly but are we bad people because we did it? I am a firm believer that you are a better more well rounded person for your expirences. GW for example learned something from that that many do not until later in life.

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1060 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645293 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |