THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#279440 - 08/12/05 07:45 PM Re: PEAK OIL!
h2o Offline
Carcass

Loc: Portland
....a fantasy.

#279441 - 08/12/05 07:49 PM Re: PEAK OIL!
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
Put peak oil and or peak oil vs or any of these in " " into google. It should yeild several 1000 pages.

tar sands, oil shale, bitumen, biofuels, thermal depolymerization (TDP) of organic matter, and the conversion of coal or natural gas to liquid hydrocarbons through the Fischer-Tropsch process. Abiogenic petroleum origin ,Renewable energy, Future energy development . Etc etc.

That should keep you busy for a while. No go off and learn something.

#279443 - 08/12/05 10:39 PM Re: PEAK OIL!
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Geez, you'd think that someone who infers to be an expert on every subject posted here, plus the most read individual in this forum, would easily be able to post links to a mulititude of references for his arguments.

Unless he's......

..... full of shyt. \:D

#279445 - 08/13/05 02:49 PM Re: PEAK OIL!
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Hmmmmm. So which is it? Peak Oil, or abyssal abiotic oil production?

I think either way, the petroleum industry looks like a good investment.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#279446 - 08/15/05 11:41 AM Re: PEAK OIL!
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

How can you debate with people that still think that the fossil fuel myth to be true. That debate ended with scientists over 20 years ago. You have attached yourself to a mathmatical theory based on a myth. All one needs to do is type in peak oil into google to see. why. It's all tied to the left conspiracy theory bent. You will see Peak oil, Irag, 911 all tied together. I can only hope that the worst case scenario of peak oil come true because the world will have much fewer of you whack jobs. Any that are left after the crash will get shot in short order.

#279447 - 08/31/05 11:31 PM Re: PEAK OIL!
h2o Offline
Carcass

in my thread of the same title from over a year ago i predicted three dollars a gallon by the end of this summer (check) and four dollars by the end of next.

we have reached the downward portion of the curve. every new disaster, every new 'refinery accident', every new war etc will just drive the price even higher. the important thing isn't that the price is going up, it's that the price will not come back down.

#279448 - 09/01/05 04:56 AM Re: PEAK OIL!
steelieosus Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Iraq
I say we just tap into alaska's oil and screw the rest of the world \:D let them fend for themselves

#279450 - 09/01/05 09:28 AM Re: PEAK OIL!
steelieosus Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I was reading the news from NC and after hurricane katrina blew threw knocking out a oil refinary, and limiting them to 10 days worth of fuel in the above ground tanks. The price of low octain gas sored to 3.00 to 7.00 a gal. all the way up to fayetteville nc. How in the world can anyone justify those price's? I guess the old saying "get while the gettin's good" pretty much sum's it up.

#279451 - 09/01/05 09:34 AM Re: PEAK OIL!
steelieosus Offline
Juvenille at Sea

AM,

I just read threw your post agin and seen the southern word "YA'LL"
Got a little southern in ya? \:D If so don't let BW hear you, I catch an ear full every time I come home and use them their words

#279453 - 09/01/05 10:37 AM Re: PEAK OIL!
steelieosus Offline
Juvenille at Sea

#279454 - 09/01/05 11:36 AM Re: PEAK OIL!
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Better get that bunker built there H20. Funny a guy with so much insight and ability to predict the future would bring a baby into that doom and gloom scenario.

#279456 - 09/01/05 03:04 PM Re: PEAK OIL!
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Pigs reported to be flying in Western Washington. Pat Robertson reports that god called him and said Hell has frozen over. there is a 50 ft purple jesus approaching New Orleans!

#279457 - 09/01/05 04:43 PM Re: PEAK OIL!
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Third stone from the sun
I hate to be the one to ruin H20's little Doom and Gloom party--but it turns out that there is enough Oil Shale in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming that once refined will produce enough oil to supply appoximately 25% our countries oil needs for the next 400 years (or 100% for 100 years).

The funny thing is that the Rand corporation who's been doing the R&D on it says that the majority of it in in Colorado (where Dick Cheney owns a ranch w/ 1000's of acres). \:D I can't wait to here the conspiracy theories to follow.

It will take some time to bring on line, but it looks there's light at the end of tunnel (that isn't actually a train--sorry H20). The Rand corporation says that they predict that it can be havested and refined for $40 a barrel or less.

So while I still think it's prudent to develop economically feesable alternatives of energy--there's going to be several things available (more domestic drilling, building new refineries, and bringing Oil Shale on line) until those alternatives are made available.

What a Blessing it is to live in this truley great country!!

http://www.fe.doe.gov/programs/reserves/publications/Pubs-NPR/40010-373.pdf

#279458 - 09/01/05 10:10 PM Re: PEAK OIL!
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
Where'd you get the $40/bbl quote from that posted link?

#279459 - 09/01/05 10:36 PM Re: PEAK OIL!
h2o Offline
Carcass

i don't believe we are going to run out of oil anytime soon.

we ARE however going to run out of cheap oil and i truly believe we have seen the last of sub $3.00/gal gas. probably premature to to go that far out on a limb so soon..........

so there is a vast oil shale reserve? does the technology exist to exploit it such that it actually has an effect on the total us reserve? imo, not even close

oil shale oil will be expensive oil both in terms of its cost to extract and the energy it takes to process and refine.

american oil companies have not invested in the necessary infrastructure to make up for peaking world oil production. as a result of our inability to produce enough oil domestically to cover our own demand we will continue to be dependent on foreign oil for many more decades.

foreign oil whose production has peaked or is poised to peak in the face of skyrocketing world demand. this means more expensive oil right now and ever onward.

foreign oil = expensive oil

oil-shale oil = unproven future technology....expensive oil IF the resource is ever fully exploited. i'm not saying it may not be an exploitable resource it's just not the panacea that you wish it were.

heck, the government hasn't even earmarked any r & d incentives for oil companies to explore its viability til 2009 so.....

i don't even think you read your own linked pdf Rory. all of the promise of oil-shale technology is talked about in future tense.

we'll see how it pans out though won't we? with gas at $3.09 in Forks this morning it looks a lil closer to my scenario than yours.

'peak oil' is not a conspiracy, it is a reality and every geologist NOT affiliated with the oil industry will likely confirm this fact.

i have never, not once ever presented the peak oil scenario as being gloomy or doomy.

quite the contrary...

...i relish the challenge of surviving in an age where one has to become more sulf-sufficient and less reliant on corporate america to provide them with whatever may be needed at a moment's notice. by all means let's move away from the 'consumer' economy, its killing america.

i just hope my family doesnt have to suffer unduly during whatever transition takes place.

#279462 - 09/02/05 01:04 PM Re: PEAK OIL!
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I'd also be interested in the source of that $40/barrel for oil shale oil statement. Everything I've read indicates that extraction and refinement is expensive, which is the main reason the initial pursuit in the early 80s was dropped. Oh, and extracting oil shale will trash the environment, but since it's only Colorado and Wyoming, why would Rory care? Heck, he doesn't seem to object to trashing the environment right here in WA where he fishes. It ain't rose colored glasses he's wearing, Aunty, he's simply dillusional.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#279463 - 09/02/05 01:09 PM Re: PEAK OIL!
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Everything I have read says shale oil becomes viable at $60 per BBL.

#279464 - 09/02/05 03:26 PM Re: PEAK OIL!
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Third stone from the sun
They've know about the deposits of Oil Shale in Colrado, Utah and Wyoming since at least the 1970's--Then there was an oil boom in Texas in the late 70's and early 80's that didn't make it seem as though harvesting and refining the the oil shale was worthwhile when it was so readily available in the Lone Star state--needless to say, the situation is a little different today.

It was on Wednesday or Thursdays CNBC's Power Lunch that they said oil shale could eventually come on line and produce large amounts of usable oil within 10 to 12 years ( I tried to post a video link but they only have todays and when you go back further it goes to 6/15) and allowing for refining costs and reasonable profit could be made available for $40 a barrel.

They also said that since it is a solid, until it's heated to over 900 degrees that harvesting it and transporting it to refining facilities would have a substancially lower environmental impact than that of conventional oil.

#279466 - 09/20/05 02:09 PM Re: PEAK OIL!
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

I doubt you will see it as the options are, what? Someones got to lose here and it will happen in the back rooms first.

#279467 - 09/20/05 02:13 PM Re: PEAK OIL!
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: seattle wa
we are dying from supply side solutions-----and from ignoring common sense for 30 years in order to enrich the oil companies.....

your still coming up with supply side solutions rory ??????? you obviously hate humanity and are hell bent on eradicating it from this earth........nothing conservative about that..

supply sided theory comes solely from those who understand nothing.....absolutely nothing about economics or business theory........

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1291 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |