Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#280377 - 09/02/05 05:42 PM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by AuntyM:
[QUOTE]
There is NO LEADERSHIP and no one took charge.
AuntyM for Governor...

(even if you cant spell in latin ;\) )

#280379 - 09/02/05 07:15 PM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

TK,

Hey, you wrote your post. I just pointed out the improbability, if not impossibility, of your stated action. The comma made your walk a lengthy 250 miles. I won’t bother asking why you’d walk from Ritzville to Pullman, or what the point of your story was in the first place.

How much I’m good for is irrelevant to you posting your super-human feats. But since you’re a fitness buff, and much younger than I, maybe you’d like to join me on the next STP (Seattle to Portland) bike ride; 205 miles in one day, or RAMROD, the ride around Mt. Rainier in one day. It’s only 154 miles, but you might really like the 10,000 feet of climbing. It would put you in good shape for hunting season! Or perhaps, hunting season would have you already fit for the ride.

At 4 mph, I’d think you’d be walking right past where all the elk were before being spooked by you humping a full pack along broken ground at that speed. When I used to hunt, I walked much slower than normal so as to get close to the animals without spooking them away. I think your style would be good for conservation, though.

Your pompous posts remind me of a guy in college who claimed every steelhead he caught was of state record proportions, or larger, and all taken on an upstream dry fly. Far fetched makes for good story telling, but as far out as yours are just don’t cut it as a story, funny or otherwise.

BTW, this thread was about Hurricaine Katrina, not blowhard TK.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#280380 - 09/02/05 07:16 PM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Third stone from the sun
Quote:
Originally posted by Wailuku:

All you need to do is make a comparison between the relief efforts from prior year hurricanes and make the comparison to this particular one.
------------------------------------------------------------

What hurricane (or subsequent flood) from prior years that has hit our shore(s) even comes close to Katrina in magnitude, scope or amount of damage inflicted that would allow you or anyone else to make and apples to apples comparison of relief efforts?

#280381 - 09/02/05 09:34 PM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
The lack of accountability in this country and during this catastrophe is a disgrace, whether the people left or not, there should have been supplies,medical supplies and food and water ready to go in right after the weather broke.

Living in the richest nation in history and not being able to help our own people is nothing less than treason, for those in charge, and those people should pay the price when this is all said and done....

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#280382 - 09/02/05 09:53 PM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
AuntyM,

You're my hero.

Speaking of which, did you guys hear? Al Quada is taking responsibility for Hurricane Katrina... WOW

Have you guys heard about those cops down there?? They have to put snipers on their roofs because they are OUTGUNNED by the gangs!! What is with these people?? People are DYING, and these "tough guys" would rather shoot cops than be heros and haul the helpless out of there??? I'm disgusted.

Curtis

#280384 - 09/03/05 09:19 AM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Sad to say this, but the Rev Al Sharpton was on the tube last night and its pretty clear that the people who elected the city officials of N.O were totally let down by those same officials, You get some guys who are totally incompetent in the first place running a city of that size, something happens and the lack of leadership is on display for everyone to see.

Its a sad deal when you would like to think that the looting etc would have something to do with food, maybe water or medical supplys, when its actually big screen T.V's, Jewlery stores to get some bling bling and then beat up some old ladys and ***** about the goverment not doing anything.

I was wondering when Jessie J and Rev Al would be on the air claiming that this whole mess was racism.

#280387 - 09/03/05 10:10 AM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

AM, is right about the racism, but what about the leadership at the Federal level? Where was that?

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

#280389 - 09/03/05 03:49 PM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
Rory Bellows Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Third stone from the sun
Quote:
Originally posted by
Somethingsmellsfishy:

AM, is right about the racism, but what about the leadership at the Federal level? Where was that?

Mandatory evacuation ordered for New Orleans

8/28/2005, 10:48 a.m. CT
The Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — In the face of a catastrophic Hurricane Katrina, a mandatory evacuation was ordered Sunday for New Orleans by Mayor Ray Nagin.

Acknowledging that large numbers of people, many of them stranded tourists, would be unable to leave, the city set up 10 places of last resort for people to go, including the Superdome.

The mayor called the order unprecedented and said anyone who could leave the city should. He exempted hotels from the evacuation order because airlines had already cancelled all flights.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco, standing beside the mayor at a news conference, said President Bush called and personally appealed for a mandatory evacuation for the low-lying city, which is prone to flooding.

"There doesn't seem to be any relief in sight," Blanco said.

She said Interstate 10, which was converted Saturday so that all lanes headed one-way out of town, was total gridlock.

"We are facing a storm that most of us have long feared," Nagin said.

The storm surge most likely could topple the city's levee system, which protect it from surrounding waters of Lake Pontchartrain, the Mississippi River and marshes, the mayor said. The bowl-shaped city must pump water out during normal times, and the hurricane threatened pump power.

Previous hurricanes evacuations in New Orleans were always voluntary, because so many people don't have the means of getting out. Some are too poor and there is always a French Quarter full of tourists who get caught.

"This is a once in a lifetime event," the mayor said. "The city of New Orleans has never seen a hurricane of this magnitude hit it directly," the mayor said.

He told those who had to move to the Superdome to come with enough food for several days and with blankets. He said it will be a very uncomfortable place and encouraged everybody who could to get out.

Nagin said police and firefighters would spread out throughout the city sounding sirens and using bullhorns to tell residents to get out. He also said police would have the authority to comandeer any vehicle or building that could be used for evacuation or shelter.

The Superdome was already taking in people with special problems. It opened about 8 a.m. and people on walkers, some with oxygen tanks, began checking in.

In a neighborhood in central city, a group of residents sat on a porch. It was almost a party atmosphere.

"We're not evacuating," said Julie Paul, 57. "None of us have any place to go. We're counting on the Superdome. That's our lifesaver."

She said they'd spent the last couple of hurricanes there. They would wait for a friend who has a van to take them, because none has cars.

At a nearby gas station, Linda Young, 37, was tanking up her car.

"I'm really scared. I've been through hurricanes, but this one scares me. I think everybody needs to get out," she said.

She said they planned to leave Saturday but couldn't get gas, and didn't want to go without it, so got up early and got in a gas line.

In the suburbs, evacuations were under way.

"That sun is shining too bright for this to be happening," said Joyce Tillis, manager of the Holiday Inn Select at the airport in the suburbs as she called the more than 140 guests to tell them the hotel was under a mandatory evacuation. "It's too nice a day."

Tillis lives inside the flood zone in the community of Avondale. She said she called her three daughters and told them to get out. "If I'm stuck, I'm stuck," Tillis said. "I'd rather save my second generation if I can."

#280390 - 09/03/05 05:22 PM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: seattle wa
sure would have been nice if the prez had 6 months notice that this hurricane was going to hit like they did with 911.... so they could be all prepared with thier responses and all like before

#280393 - 09/03/05 09:27 PM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Its sort of a bum deal that 90 % of all the major insurance claims come from the southeast and CA and the rates all across the county are the same.

Still, I hate all this crap on T.V about how nobodys helping out. In most parts of the country if people get handed lemons they make Lemonade. In N.O, they ***** about how warm the lemonade is then go on a rampage and loot all the bling bling they can get their hands on and finish up by beating up all the old ladys and raping the young ones. Afterwards Jessie and Al start blowing poop about how its all the goverments fault.

None of the things that are happening in that city are the goverments fault. Its a real low class eliment of people who live in that city that are really giving it a black eye. It has always been a low brow place and it really shows. Example. The Tsunami in Asia was every bit as overwhelming and the people bucked up, helped each other and made the most of the resources they did have. No shooting at the cops and rampaging, Those people had zero warning. N.O had a couple of days.. and did nothing, but point a finder at something that would not have helped anyway.. Levees can not stop a class 5 hurricane storm surge.

#280395 - 09/03/05 10:56 PM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
Its a real low class eliment of people who live in that city that are really giving it a black eye. It has always been a low brow place and it really shows

Any where in America where black people live, there will be some that consider their presence (blacks) a black eye to that community. 60% black qualifies as a low brow place. :rolleyes: The media constantly drives that point home each and every day. Institutional racisim disables many from understanding miles others walk in shoes cast in the cement of slavery, racism and injustice.

Maybe, instead of rescuing them, some of you are only a couple of decades removed from leading the lynch mobs that would hang rather than help them. Guess token help is more sexy if the blacks are in another country, but not as sexy if American and black. It's the Sambo teachings that many were tought in public school that's the problem. Many still think that way.

Now some of you go ahead and chime in about how wonderful the oportunity is to be a white Amercan and those nigus are just lazy, drunks etc.,....and can be just like you (white and red necked or good ole boy) if they choose to.

Sad but Bush is smart in his delayed response because a lot of his support are from people that don't care how many of those nigus die. They have been trained and tought that they are superior to the black race, and after all, God is Christian and white. Colonialisim alive and well here in America.

These actions could pick up votes from the hateful and racist, that are the kill em all and let God sort em out types, when it comes to people of color.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#280397 - 09/04/05 02:25 AM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
John Lee Hookum Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Area 51
quote:
Originally posted by AuntyM:
I don't give a damn what color you are. If all you expect are handouts all your life, your life isn't worth much.

I would help a black person who is trying to better themselves over a lazy white person who wants handouts any day.

They are what they strive to be. Successful or at least hardworking and contributing to society, or a lazy leech never trying to do anything but take. I think there are far too many blacks that prove the sterotypes don't apply to them.

I am an equal opportunity critic.

As for as lazy and taking handouts, I think that also applies to those that gouge at the pump or with prices during a crisis. Why not discuss that to?

Guess Bush would fit your stereotype if you measure people as being hardworking or lazy. He has taken handouts all his life and some people think (media propaganda) God talks to him and he was God's very own crack baby. \:D

I consider him and many others like him as lazy and are also leeches on the middle class and society. That's the way they play the game, divide and conquer. Us against them, black against white, poor white against poor black, and on and on. One difference, he's white and entitled, therefore he gets a free pass. First rule of a colonial mind set. Now where are those Indians? Must be a few Indians caught on tape in NO stealing TV"s. \:D When those clip's (Indians carrying TV's) are televised, that's when you are sure to fine PP's finist, circleing the wagons and packing powder in their pea shooters. \:D

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of
Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter
of the gods.

-- Albert Einstein

#280398 - 09/04/05 09:07 AM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Sorry man. Your straying way off topic.

It has nothing to do with what anyone thinks. It has everything to do with what has happened. A.M is right. Too much opertunity for everyone in this country to single out any group or race on any issue.

In this particular case, a very large group of a very large community chose to do nothing except beat the hell outa each other, and steal everything they could get their hands on. It was not a few isolated thugs, it was the community at large.

You can use all the big words you want to suger coat it but it was and is really quite disgusting. The goverment did not do this. The people that remained in N.O did it and the world gets to watch.

The last time anything like this happened it was in L.A Something bad happens so lets burn down the town, beat everyone in sight, steal everything we can get our hands on, then blame the goverment and the MAN for everything. Oh, I almost forgot, lets do it to the people we love the most like the people next door etc.

The south gets hammered all the time with weather events that are pretty devastating. Seems like it happens 3 times a year in Florida and they pitch in and help each other out. No national guard needed. Same mix of people just a lot more caring community. They organize and prioritize. This is not the first big hurricane to come along. Its just the first where half the people decided to not heed any warnings and just sit there and not help anyone, not even themselves.

#280400 - 09/04/05 01:08 PM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
Chives Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I was living in NYC during 9/11. The national guard was on the streets in less than twenty four hours...not five days later.

The mayor of NOLA may well be completely incompetent. That does not absolve the federal government from their responsibilites.
The governor of Louisiana, the speaker of the house, and the president have all ackowledged for once, to their great credit, that this has been an operational failure (all republicans btw).

several of you rubes like to voice your admiration for "strength""preparedness" and being ready to fight the war on terror effectively and so on,
yet instead of voicing concern over the obvious lack of preparedness and initiative, you will voice your disgust over "animals" stealing tennis shoes. shouldnt you all be more concerned about protecting america at home as you have claimed these past for years? what was the money and fancy offical positions for homeland security for? where is the leadership, the initiative? taking 5 days to get the national guard in there should tell you all something...but you see what you want to. Feel safe? Thats why you elected him right?
Confident that should a dsisaster hit us here we would get timely aid and support from the feds? Maybe Bellevue would be evacuated first...then 7 days later they'd pick up any survivors left in the CD?

keep your lips firmly planted on the buttcheeks of the disaster that is this administration. reap what you sow.

#280401 - 09/04/05 01:53 PM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Quote:
We never learn
True. We build major cities on top of fault lines, too. We line the coasts with development, and act surprised when something like this happens.

Which just makes the response to this disaster that much more dismal. Top to bottom. It starts with the officials at the local level, and goes right to GW's desk. We had relief in Indonesia is 2 days. It took twice that long to get it to NO.

How anyone can defend any of these clown is beyond me. From the mayor of NO, to the FEMA director, to the White House...........they've all demonstrated utter incompetence in dealing with this disaster.

And now watch.........instead of learning anything, they'll all spend the next 6 months assigning blame and dodging responsibility.

And you know those insurance companies everyone's been paying premiums to for decades................watch them lobby Congress for a bailout. And then watch them get it.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#280403 - 09/05/05 06:11 PM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
fishonjohn Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Angeles
I've been following this thread for a couple of days now and the more I read the more I find it disturbing. We've all received emails and such with things like "the gene pool needs a little chlorine", etc, that's what I'm hearing here, along with "those people that didn't leave deserve exactly what they are getting for being so stupid". These things all sound funny and make us laugh but this is real life, and DEATH, Well no one, I repeat, no one deserves to die because they are stupid and we all have a moral obligation to help if we can when we see some one in straits as dire as this. As a retired Police Officer I have probably seen more stupidity on peoples part that most of you put together, I've also developed a certain calusness towards others suffering out of self protection but this situation certainly trancends all that, these people are fighting for their lives and need all the help they can get, the government, on every level, has let them down and now I'm seeing individuals on this board do the same with their comment, I think it's appaling. Some of these people have certainly placed themselves in this situation voluntarily, stupidly, but again, people do not deserve to die because they are stupid, not in any country and especially in this one.

#280406 - 09/05/05 08:35 PM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

RB, been away for the weekend and have to respond, albeit a little late. While I will not go into the diatrbe that you escribe to, not will I go and search news records to copy and paste a news story to back up my side of the argument, I will say this, most of those people had no money,transport, or the means to get out and were waiting for the money to get out. The fed could have paid them early and avoided this altogether, at the very least the feds could have been prepared to go in after the weather broke.

Tis easy to sit here and say that you would have done this or that, I doubt that you would take any direction from any one, except your own twisted point of view, and as always "hindsight is 20/20"...................

#280407 - 09/06/05 11:36 AM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
SG,

I hate bike riders more than I hate liberals. Bike riders are pussies of the highest order. had one in front of me this weekend. 6 feet of shoulder and this douche bag thinks he needs to be in the center of the lane. Maybe all of you could get togetehr and between the whole group you could read and understand the rules of the road. I think its the lycra shorts being too tight myself it restricts blood to your brains . The walk from Ritzville was needed because the ash was 10" deep or more. A car could go a few miles before the engine siezed. When you opened the hood it looked like someone had poured concrete in the engine comartment and oinshed it off. I would get a ride freom a farmer every now and then on the big tractors they use in the wheat feilds. they are designed to deal with heavy dust and did very well. I did not challenge you to any fitness test because I am told there is little glory in defeating oldmen ,women and children in athletic endeavors. I think you hunt slow because thats all you could do so it was not a choice. Elk are stupid noisy animals only rookies and rifle hunters hunt them slow.

#280408 - 09/06/05 11:39 AM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
Theking Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: The right side of the line
Typical of the liberals. They want to give all the responsibility to the govt. so they can have some one to blame. Anyone that blames the govt or make it an issue of race I have written off as a lost cause.

#280409 - 09/06/05 02:31 PM Re: The Devastating Impact of Hurricane George
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

TK,

Gotta' love being hated by the likes of you.

Not only is there no glory in defeating old men, women, and children, there's no glory for you because you don't and can't really do most of the sh!t you claim in this forum anyway (walk 250 miles in 3 days). Except one, you said you participate here to try to p!ss people off, and from reading various responses to your posts, it's clear that this is at least one success in your life. And you're probably proud of it, since success is otherwise a likely alien to your existence, or you wouldn't be attracted to the objective of trying to p!ss people off in an internet BB.

I think you're pathetic, but I know better than to care about that. I almost appreciate the perverse entertainment value you represent.

BTW, a bike is a vehicle subject to the same privileges and responsibilities as a motor vehicle. If a cyclist was taking the lane in front of you, that's his/her right. A cyclist must keep only as far to the right as is practicable. The shoulder may have been littered with broken glass, tossed there by cheap beer swilling rednecks such as yourself, rendering it unsafe for travel. Your responsibility is to safely pass if you want to go faster.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bucktail, Richard E.
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 328 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |