Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#29130 - 08/24/06 10:13 AM FST Spoons
fever Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Anyone ever use these?

I was going thru one of my dad's old tackle boxes last night and came across about a dozen bronze/chrome FST spoons of various sizes.

He was an avid Willamette river Spring Chinook fisherman.

I fish around the San Juan's now. How can these be used?

Thanks.

Mike

#29131 - 08/24/06 10:48 AM Re: FST Spoons
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Loc: Duvall
Sea-run cutts and coho in rivers. Troll them using a drop sinker about 6 feet above the spoon. Good luck.

#29132 - 08/24/06 11:10 AM Re: FST Spoons
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Fever -
A common use of "wobbler" type spoons such as the FST in salmon fisheries has been in river boat plunking situations. Much as suggested by Snake Pliskin they are fished off three way rigs though for plunking the leaders are usually a little shorter. Spoon sizes and leader lengths adjusted to have the spoon "wobbling" at just above fish eye level.

Local the smaller sizes are used quite abit on the Skagit during the pink runs and to a lesser degree for coho - especially popular there is the silver with red head color. The larger sizes are more commonly used in chinook fisheries such as the Columbia summer/fall runs. However in those fisheries the FSTs are being replaced by a new generation of wobbling spoons.

For salt water applications it seems like the narrow spoons - ala the coyote and coho killers -are more effective.

Tight lines
Curt

#29133 - 08/24/06 01:19 PM Re: FST Spoons
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I troll Gold Star Fiesty spoons and do real well on the coho in the salt.
Swap the hook to the fat end and you will have very effective trolling lures. My 2 cents.

Hans

#29134 - 08/24/06 06:39 PM Re: FST Spoons
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Use it off a cannon-ball sinker on a reef for lingcod!

#29135 - 08/24/06 08:14 PM Re: FST Spoons
Salmon Leader Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Des Moines, Wa
Get to work! 7:13 AM!??! slap

Steve

#29136 - 08/24/06 09:10 PM Re: FST Spoons
fever Offline
Returning Adult

Yah...6:13 PM now....

#29137 - 08/24/06 09:38 PM Re: FST Spoons
Salmon Leader Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Des Moines, Wa
beer

Steve

#29138 - 08/25/06 12:10 AM Re: FST Spoons
fever Offline
Returning Adult

Beer o'clock is right. (Home now, tho...)

Tomorrow I'm leaving on time and the wife and I are going to soak the crab pots for a few hours while we get all liquored up.

#29139 - 08/25/06 01:45 AM Re: FST Spoons
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Fever:

Size 2, 3, 3.5.......just aren't any good for anything....so you don't have to worry yourself, about what to do with them........I'd be glad to add them to "my others" and just put them on a shelf ........ hehehe, for about 2 months more. Then its "katie bar the door"!!!!!!!! beer

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#29140 - 08/26/06 12:34 PM Re: FST Spoons
laterun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Napavine,Washington
Fever, I was introduced to fst's a few years ago by undeniably the best river fisherman with them that exists in this state. He fishes the Chehalis and Satsop for fall fish and really loads up on all species. I don't know or have never heard of anyone else who will catch (and for the most part release) up to 30-40 fish per day using only fst's.I have only tried this from a boat, but you could probably do it from the bank if you found the right water. He likes to set up just above a riffle where he has determined the fish travel over in that area. Usually about 70-90' above the break. He will then let the fst back with no added weight until it is lying on the bottom . Next, pick up just enough line to feel the spoon start to pulsate very slowly. If it is moving any more than a slow thump, let out more line in rapid amounts by stripping like you were mooching for 6 or 7 pulls to the first guide. The idea is to get the fst down to the bottom very quickly without any lead. He likes to have the fst stop about 6-8' above the break where the tailout just starts to break out of the hole. This is so the first thing the fish see when they charge up out of the fast water is your spoon right in their face. At first I didn't quite understand the concept, but as I have used this method I have grown to really appreciate the simplicity and great success that goes with it. I really like having nothing but a swivel and spoon on your line so when you get bit it is usually a pretty violent take down and not very many come unstuck. Also with the right size siwash hook, 99 percent are lip or front of the mouth hook ups so release is very easy with minimal distress to the fish. I have also found that as you get higher water or more current you can increase the size of the fst or use a larger hook to add weight instead of adding a sinker to keep it down. When the high water comes with the rains you can always slide a piece of surgical tubing up your line to add a small piece of pencil lead if needed. It does take away from the action somewhat but is a trade off to still be able to stay in the zone when the fish are cooking through there. I hope this has been some help, I'm not the best at writing down and conveying the message in easy to understand terma. Feel free to ask for any futher explanation and I will try to be more precise.

#29141 - 08/27/06 01:53 AM Re: FST Spoons
fever Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
Originally posted by laterun:
I hope this has been some help, I'm not the best at writing down and conveying the message in easy to understand terma.
Laterun... Excellent narrative. No need to improve upon it.

Thanks.

And thanks everyone else for all the tips. Much appreciated.

Mike

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |