Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#325134 - 12/21/05 02:00 PM Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
I'll be pulling steelhead plugs (hot shots/tadpollys) for the first time from my driftboat on both the Sky and the Cowlitz over the holidays. This won't be my pimary tactic as I'll be using float/eggs/jigs as well as side-drifting. However, there were a fair amount of runs on both these rivers I observed during my scouting drifts that I think I'd like to work over with plugs as I'm drifting down to the next slot I want to work with other techniques. I don't have dedicated plugging rods as of yet so I'll be repurposing a couple other rods where the baitcasters are loaded with 30 lb power-pro. I assume that you wouldn't want to run powerpro all the way to the plugs but want some mono in there for both lo-visability and shock absorbtion. So my question is this . . .

How long of a mono leader should I use and how heavy?

Thanks in advance guys!

#325135 - 12/21/05 02:15 PM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
3' to 5' of 12# to 15# ultra green.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#325136 - 12/21/05 03:50 PM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I asked this same question about a year ago...general consensus was that there was no commonly prescribed method...

I run 30 lb. Power Pro to about 8' of 15 lb. Seaguar flourocarbon for leader. Be sure to use a double Uni-knot to tie in that leader..it's about the only knot I have found that is sure to hold fast when bonding superbraid line and mono.

Others (experienced pluggers, as well) suggested running the PP right to the duo-lock. Makes some sense...as steelhead are not interested in what the plug is tied to, just that they want to kill what is irritating them. Still, I'll stick with my leaders.

Looks like I'll be on the Cow on Friday the 30th. Never done a float there, so will be posting to see if any other boats (DB's) will be out that day that we might be able to follow down one of the drifts.

Good luck in your plugging! Hell hath no fury like a pissed off steelhead hammering a well worked plug... \:D

Mike

#325137 - 12/21/05 04:13 PM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
Sol Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo
Sounds like the right guys answered your question. ;\)

#325138 - 12/21/05 04:58 PM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I'd run a size 7 or 10 barrell swivel between the braid and mono.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#325139 - 12/21/05 05:18 PM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
Hardware Offline
Juvenile at Sea

After DB plugging a couple long drifts on mighty Cow, those side drift & float rigs are gonna' look awful good! Just kidding----just a whole lotta' workout on the mighty C. Good luck to ya.

#325140 - 12/21/05 06:03 PM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
CraigO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lake Stevens
I ran the Power Pro all the way to the plug last year and noticed no difference than when I previously had used a mono leader or straight mono. I think the fish is so focused on the plug, he doesn't notice the line.

#325141 - 12/21/05 06:07 PM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
I'm with Strike Zone on this one but I go a touch longer shock leader like 6 to 8ft bead chain to a duo snap. I use 2 duo snaps on all plugs I think they tune better.

#325142 - 12/21/05 09:43 PM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
Queetsqueef Offline
Returning Adult

Figure out where the steelhead are, concentrate on being patient and persistant through a hole. Take mulitiple passes. If you don't hit a head on the first pass, row back up and try again. It's really not necessary to worry about how much mono you have below your braided line. Just work the hole hard, and keep at it. I wouldn't worry too much about a steelie being line-shy, I'd worry more about fishing a hole properly

#325143 - 12/21/05 09:52 PM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
tyeeterror Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Humboldt Nation
I run 60lb power pro for my kwikfish. I then run about a 4-5' leader of 40lb mono. I place a swivle in between the two different lines. I leave the tag end of the mono on the swivel end about a 1/4 inch long. A lot of the debris will get hung up on the tag end, and not interfer with the plug. Every 5 minutes or so I will have the guys snap the rods to clear the debris.

#325144 - 12/21/05 09:58 PM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
tyeeterror Offline
Spawner

oh yeah I forgot to tell you that you must not let your guys set the hook, on the first takedown. This is mega important. Let the fish take the plug, and start pulling some line. Then have your guys pull back, not slamming home, and begin to fight the fish. If you can get the guys upfront to do this, you will land a lot more fish. If not you will get these visious (spelling) take downs, the guy setting the hook, and the fish will be gone.

#325145 - 12/21/05 10:51 PM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
Stalmass Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Selah, WA
Tyeeterro, isn't that more for Salmon than Steelhead?

#325146 - 12/21/05 11:39 PM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
tyeeterror Offline
Spawner

Your right, the set up described is more for salmon, but I run my steelhead plugs the same way. I drop my leader down to 15 lb test. As far as the bite, letting them take it goes for both steelhead, and salmon. In fact I would rather the guys up front put the rods in the rod holder if possible. I have also had them sit on the rod but to give the fish enough time to hook itself.

#325147 - 12/22/05 01:47 AM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
The first time I ever got to fish for steelhead using plugs was years ago with a OP Guide named Rod Erickson. He made us hold the rod and set the hook as soon as the fish hit. We caught a lot of Steelhead with him.

On the Kenai I learned to let the fish beat the crap out of that Kwik fish and rod for a count of three before taking the rod out of the holder.

I would be curious to hear other's experience with the rod in our out of the rod holder when plugging for Steelhead.

#325148 - 12/22/05 02:02 AM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
RiverMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: oregon
I kind of go against many of the rules others will tell you. I tie 30pd PP straight to the plugs and never have any trouble. I have had more than 20 hits in one day in my boat before while rigged in this manner. As far as when to strike, I know others will say let them take line, wait a second or two etc., but it is my feeling that if the rod is bent he has the plug in his mouth so hit him before he realizes it's plastic and lets go!

RM

#325149 - 12/22/05 11:40 AM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
Beezer Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe WA
For steelhead I go with power pro straight to my duoclip then my tad or hot shot etc, no swivels or spilt rings. When he grabs me I grab him.

#325150 - 12/22/05 03:41 PM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
B-RUN STEELY Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: IDAHO
Its apples and oranges.. It all works. However, don't agree with the "hold the rod in your hands thing" not a good idea. Put them in the holders so you can see what they are doing at all times. The two butt heads up front pay attention for awhile and after that they start waving the things all over the place. When a fish does hit it scares the crap out of them and they YANK. Steelhead hook themselves with plugs.. they don't need any help from you.. No nibbles or bumps, its flat take down time.

#325151 - 12/22/05 06:00 PM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Thanks a ton guys - all good info here. I think I'll run one direct to the plug and rig the other with a leader and hope that the fish cooperate with my takedown to landing ratio study. A novice guest fighting a fish close to the boat - that shock-absorbing leader might be a good thing.

ISO - I'll be there the next day - leave about half a dozen for me will ya? I scouted out the blue creek to mission drift weekend before last. launched real late and only fished about 45 minutes pulled out on a couple diff gravel bars. took about 1.5 hrs of drift time to get to mission. Easy drift.

#325152 - 12/27/05 11:48 AM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
I have a fishing buddy (Skydriftin) that plugs more fish a year then all you guys together could dream of. \:\)

Actually I am not kidding!

That's how he loves to fish and he is good at it.

For Steelhead skip the leader and rig the Power Pro straight to a duoclip.

#325153 - 12/27/05 10:39 PM Re: Steelhead Plugging Novice Question
Hoh Humm Offline
Spawner

Loc: Forks
So far I think B-RUN has said it best.

I have never used a leader on a plug.
Just a plug clip (duoloc clip)on the end of my line an a plug,the idea of having a knot in my
line makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.
And between the movment of the fish an the boat
there is no need at all to yank.
Every steelhead that I have cought on plugs
have indeed slammed those plugs,no yanking.
Best line for me 15lb. maxima camelian.

ylwwolf@msn.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1103 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645297 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |