LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#325494 - 12/23/05 03:57 PM non-rattling Tadpollies?
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Question for you Tadpolly fans (of which I know there are many)...does Heddon make a non-rattling version of the Tadpolly? In the Dr. Death color scheme? If so, anyone know where to get them? Also...your thoughts on rattling vs. non for low to medium water steelies? Thanks in advance. Nor Cal.

#325495 - 12/23/05 05:29 PM Re: non-rattling Tadpollies?
gilly Offline
Hazmat

Loc: on the river
Nor Cal- Get some cerise Lure Coat, chrome and gold tadpollies without rattle are available.

matt

#325496 - 12/23/05 08:30 PM Re: non-rattling Tadpollies?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't care for the rattling plugs (any) in real low and clear conditions. Just a rookie opinion, of course, but my records show more caught in that kind of water on the non rattle vs. the rattle, with the exception of one plug.

You can take a rattling Tad and drill a small hole at the back end, and using a hypo-needle type of super glue you place a drop in the inside of the plug and then roll the "rattle" ball onto it. Hold till it dries.

Seal the hole with a drop of epoxy, let dry and no more rattle!

When you can find them, there are some old style Tad's that didn't have rattles.

Mike

#325497 - 12/24/05 12:39 PM Re: non-rattling Tadpollies?
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
I used to be under the impression that for low gin clear water the rattles would spook the fish.

Went with Rob Endsley on the Skagit last year and asked him about rattlers vs. non rattlers. He thinks there is no differance in the amount of fish he takes on either.

That works for me \:D

Oh and I have never seen anyone so powerful on the oars as Rob \:\) Holly crap that guy can row.

#325498 - 12/24/05 12:47 PM Re: non-rattling Tadpollies?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave D:
Oh and I have never seen anyone so powerful on the oars as Rob \:\) Holly crap that guy can row.
His arms are 5' long...it's no wonder he can move so much water in one stroke of the oars!

Mike

#325499 - 12/26/05 07:14 AM Re: non-rattling Tadpollies?
plugs Offline
Fry

Loc: Longview,WA
I'm pretty sure they still have some at Barrier Dam Campground.

#325500 - 12/26/05 01:51 PM Re: non-rattling Tadpollies?
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Most of mine are non-rattlers, and sometimes I make some effort to keep the rattlers for more colored or heavier water, but for the most part I find that the color of the plug makes a lot more difference than does the presence of the rattle or not.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#325501 - 12/26/05 02:10 PM Re: non-rattling Tadpollies?
Queetsqueef Offline
Returning Adult

More than the color or rattle, try learning how and where to properly run them. It's about patience, persistence and in some cases, endurance. It's fun to watch guys who know what they're doing and not. In other words, guys who don't fish a hole correctly and then somebody (I wonder who that is) comes in behind them and hits a fish. I think guys figure they're wasting too much time pulling plugs. They may be right, but if you choose to pull, you've got to give it a chance. I love Tads, and I don't even pay attention to the rattle. I peer into my plug box and grab one of my many that matches the conditions, and bam

#325502 - 12/27/05 12:25 AM Re: non-rattling Tadpollies?
bank walker Offline
Spawner

I havent seen a huge difference in the rattle vs nonrattle. I think the fish are more tuned into the frantic side to side waggle, than they are the sound. A good color contrast for water conditions definetly helps

I cant find a good selection of tads anywhere, Heddons website didnt have a whole lot of assortment??
"I have a fair idea of what to expect from the river, and usually, because I fish it that way, the river gives me approximately what I expect of it. But sooner or later something always comes up to change the set of my ways..."
- Roderick Haig-Brown

#325503 - 12/27/05 01:31 AM Re: non-rattling Tadpollies?
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Pretty sure it was GI Joes in Portland where I found a mess of them about a monh ago. They had some on sale for like $3 in some XO colors I didn't want. When the clerk said he give me the price on any of the colors, I loaded up. \:D

Like I need anymore flaming plugs. :rolleyes:
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#325504 - 12/27/05 01:45 AM Re: non-rattling Tadpollies?
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Nor Cal,

To your original question, apparently there are 3 current models of the Tad w/o rattle" limon green, sun fire & Red dog.

Many more colors, including the "Dr. Death" aka "tickled Pink", are available as a Clatter Tad.

See the folowing:
http://www.lurenet.com/catalog.aspx?catid=Tadpolly
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#325505 - 12/27/05 09:57 AM Re: non-rattling Tadpollies?
CraigO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lake Stevens
I haven't noticed any difference. I have certain favorite colors that I fish and I don't worry about rattle vs. non-rattle. I think that the hooks rattling around make just as much noise as the rattle in the plug.

#325506 - 12/27/05 11:18 PM Re: non-rattling Tadpollies?
Harbor_Hog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grays Harbor
Anyone remember tiny tads? I haven't seen one of those in a real long time! I used to fish them for summers, but have since lost all mine. Anyone have any they want to part with? How about any tadpollies period that you want to get rid of? I have a ton of tads but a guy can never have enough.

I don't pull plugs all that often compaired to pitchin bait, but somehow I have managed to aquire over 50 different plugs in almost all the brands. I am almost at the 125 mark for Kwikis, and pushing a 100 with both hot shots and tads. I guess a guy can never have to many good plugs.

Harbor-Hog

#325507 - 12/29/05 03:57 PM Re: non-rattling Tadpollies?
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Thanks to all for the good info. Much appreciated.

Nor Cal

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1153 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645374 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |